OCC StingRay Build

GoldenMotor.com

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA

Side view of engine mounted on bike. You can see where oil spit out of it when i had the old crappy gasket on there, you can also see the new good gasket that I made.

you can also see the different polishing marks on the side of the engine- the metal has different densities and no matter how hard I tried I could NOT get that thing all one even tone... Tick me off. I will probably wash it all down this winter and spray it flat black.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA

Here you can see the chain, sprocket and tensioner.
I am using an OCC stingray chain for the engine side as well as the pedal side. I think it might be sweet to get a black chain.

I need to repaint that sprocket. it got all scratched to heck in the first couple of test runs on the bike.

Oh yeah I finally got the fender cut, I cut both sides so that its symetrical. I notice inteh pics I missed a sticker... one on the fender... I'll get that puppy off their asap.

You can also see my ghetto rear light- a reflector popped off its backing, 4 holes drilled, zip tied to a 3 led flashlight and ziptied to a rear reflector bracket attached to the actual reflector.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I've had a busy week. I'm organizing a North Shore Moped/Scooter/Motorized Bike ride and so far I've got 2 scooter riders and 2 vintage mopeders and me. Should be nice. I'm not squeamish about riding with them, it should be sweet.

I started working on the lighting system on my Stingray. I picked up a set of fog lights at wally world for $15, a 12v motorcycle battery and 2 12v LED lights for turn signals. There should be a post somewhere tell you that if you buy a lead acid battery in Mass that you will have to pay a $10 fee. The battery was $27, plus $10... GRGH

Wally world did not carry a battery minder, target does, a Duracell over night charger. There are 3 options for wiring it, each has a jumper that plus into the minder so you can hard wire it, use it as a jumper or plug it into the lighter on the car, it was $20. I figured that it would be cheaper than ordering one from online.

I mounted one of the fogs lights to the front as a headlights and cut a tail light reflector for a red lens on the tail light and mounted up the other on the rear.

I filled up the battery and charged it. And have it temporarily mounted under the seat, it don't like it much there but for now it will have to do. I'll see about getting some sort of side bag for the rear of the bike to hide it away. I also need to get something to cover the wires. The lights came with various multicolored wires that are somewhat ugly. Next paycheck.

I'll get a few pics later.

I did get a quick test drive in, and found the lights to be super bright. I have to put the rear light very low and also the headlight must be kept low. I'll have to take it for the ultimate test a little later and see how it looks.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Well these aren't very good pictures of the lighting set up but you can sort of see how well it lights things up. I'm going to swap out the bulb in the tail light for something a tad bit smaller, I don't need 50 Watts in the rear, maybe 10 or 15...

Wiring was dead simple. 1 wire to ground, 1 wire to switch. Lights in parallel so if one dies the other doesn't. Battery is tucked under the seat for now. I'm going to get a ammo box and mount it on the right side of the rear tire and put the battery in that, it will off set the weight of the engine. For now the battery is fine where it is at.

These little chrome bullet lights are great too, compliment the bike and really light up the road.

I bought a set of replacement lenses and cut a circle to make a red lens for the tail light. It takes up some extra space in the cover, and makes it not fit right. I took the bike out for a quick spin and didn't secure the cover. Stupid mistake. Cover fell off and rolled away.

I didn't realize it for quite some time. Went back and retraced my route and found it pretty easily and no one had run over it. I lost the lens and had to cut a new one. It works very very well.

front light:

Rear light

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Well, no one showed up to my ride but me.... So I rode like I usually do, by myself. I'm going to keep at it and organize more rides throughout the year. I think the cold put people off. I wished I'd organized it for yesterday when we had fabulous weather and it was warm out.

I was almost out of gas this AM. I got about 90 miles to my gallon of 16:1 so I followed instructions and switched to 32:1.

Holy sh!t the difference is amazing. Much more pick up and go, and a lot more speed. THe bike cruises at 30 easily now and hits 40 when I go WOT and 40+ downhill. I was considering switching to the 44t sprocket but I don't think I need to. Also engine vibrations have decreased dramatically with the switch to the lower oil ratio. Which is good 32:1 is what the WW runs on so I can have just one tank in my garage rather than the 2 I was running before.

Both are empty now too, so I'm going to try and run the gas I've got through the engines and see about winterizing them. I'm not ready to give up quite yet. I think I'll fill one of the gallons and see how much more riding I can get in before snow falls.

I got a few pics of the lighting set up. It's super simple and easy. 12v battery under the seat, switch up front, 2 lights in parallel.

Front light and me

rear light and battery

battery

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
SHOES, SUPER NICE BUILD. I BOUGHT A NICE BLACK ONE LIKE YOURS ABOUT A MONTH AGO, LOW SERIAL# HE SAID , I NEVER LOOKED. IT WAS SMALLER THAN I EXPECTED (I`M 5 FT 15 INCHES TALL) BUT THEY ARE SO COOL AND IT IS LIKE NEW FOR $75. MINE HAS FOOT PEGS AND NO FRONT BRAKES. DID YOU USE WASHERS OR THE RUBBER SPACER TO KEEP SPROCKET OFF THE SPOKES? YOUR CHAIN IDLER LOOKS LIKE IT WAS MADE FOR THE RETANGLER CHAINSTAY, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT ? IS THE IDLER WHAT KEEPS THE CHAIN FROM COMING OFF? DID THE NEW INNER TUBES WORK OUT? I READ YOUR COMPLETE BUILD TONITE. WELL DONE. NOW THAT THE $60 SPROCKET ADAPTER IS OUT, I AM RETHINKING. RON .trk

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
SHOES, SUPER NICE BUILD. I BOUGHT A NICE BLACK ONE LIKE YOURS ABOUT A MONTH AGO, LOW SERIAL# HE SAID , I NEVER LOOKED. IT WAS SMALLER THAN I EXPECTED (I`M 5 FT 15 INCHES TALL) BUT THEY ARE SO COOL AND IT IS LIKE NEW FOR $75. MINE HAS FOOT PEGS AND NO FRONT BRAKES. DID YOU USE WASHERS OR THE RUBBER SPACER TO KEEP SPROCKET OFF THE SPOKES? YOUR CHAIN IDLER LOOKS LIKE IT WAS MADE FOR THE RETANGLER CHAINSTAY, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT ? IS THE IDLER WHAT KEEPS THE CHAIN FROM COMING OFF? DID THE NEW INNER TUBES WORK OUT? I READ YOUR COMPLETE BUILD TONITE. WELL DONE. NOW THAT THE $60 SPROCKET ADAPTER IS OUT, I AM RETHINKING. RON .trk
They do look larger in pictures. Mine has the front brakes and not the foot pegs. The pitch of the spokes is steep so the sprocket barely touches them. I did use 1 rubber spacer on the front.I had toi drill new holes in the sprocket that aligned with the flange on the hub. It was not hard just time consuming. I have pictures on my flickr account (link in my signature).

The chain idler: I bent it to fit and flattened the curves with hammer then painted it black. It does not keep the chain in line, the engine is moved as far to the left so that it is aligned with the sprocket. Barry's mount made that possible. And it was a pain to line up.

Thanks I appreciate that you like it. Its a lot of fun to ride. lowriderl

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Shoes, MY X GIRL FRIEND IS MOVING BK FROM NASHVILLE TOMORROW. SHE IS 5'2", SO WILL BUT MOTOR ON IT FOR HER TO RIDE . YOU MENTIONED THAT ONE GUY MOUNTED MOTOR TO SEAT POST. I WONDER IF IT LINED UP WITH REAR SPROCKET, TIRE ETC. I HAVE A WIRE FEED WELDER, WOULD BE EASY TO WELD PIPE FOR FRONT MOUNT. THE SEAT TUBE LOOKS A BIT LARGE IN PICS. WILL CHECK MINE OUT. HOW LONG SINCE YOU RODE IT. BEEN A BIT COLD OUT!! LATER RON..trk.cs.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I suspect it would be hard to line everything up if you mount to the post and the post is huge. We've had the most snowy winter on record for the last 20 years or so, we're something like 20 or 30 inches over normal snowfall and it's been blisteringly cold out too. Today is the first day I've considered going for a ride in 2 months. Most winters it isn't that bad here but this winter, I wouldn't take a bike out at all, let alone one with a motor..cs..sno.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Brisbane- Super comfortable. Everything about how this bike is set up is about comfort, except for the seat. I'm looking into other seat options as the seat on it wedges between the cheeks of my arse and causes pain, Seriously, it hurts. Since this is a family forum all I can says is that it feels like an blank is blanking my blank dry.

Other than that it's a sweet ride

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
i guess I'm the only person in the world who is building the stingray street sreies.Mine has a three speed hub with a shifter.My engine and mount from dax and Barry will be here tomorrow. I cut the shifter welds off the bottom and mounted the shifter on the side.The problem I think I'm going to have is that my big fat hub is approximatley one inch narrower than the other wheels.I am going to somehow make some one inch spacers to get the sprocket out where it needs to be.I am going to take some pictures now and I will post them. thanks

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
get a 18v cordless tool battery and charger($45),plenty of power and last a long time,an doesnt weigh much- 1/2 pound,on/off switch,inline fuse,
12v car light front and 12v redlight back($12),hook both in serial for 24v.