NT carb upgrade

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Im looking to get a bigger carb, but something that i can use the same jets as the NT carb. Does anyone have any recommendations? Im looking on treatland but there's so much stuff i cant figure out what will be the smoothest transistion. I just want to be able to flow more fuel and air in.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There's not really a good 'performance' upgrade for the NT carb, (unless you're on the track).
Most of the fastest bikes I've ever seen use NT carbs that have been re-jetted. ;)

*edit*... The RT carb has a real smooth 'mid range', but the RT carb still needs to be re-jetted for a HT engine.
'Top speed' is about the same with both carbs.

Last edited:

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
ok so my question on this is since u say there is no "upgrade" carb so to say, then where can the everyday joe buy the jets for the stock nt carb?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm surprised no one mentioned a Speed carb. It's 2mm bigger than a NT and 1mm bigger than a RT.

I consider it an upgrade to a NT. By itself it doesn't give you any more top speed, but it has a much better idle, and should have the potential for more power. It uses the same jets as a NT. Another good thing about it is unlike a RT, it uses the same throttle cable.
I have one on all my china girls mainly because of the rock solid idle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181052658109?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Speed carb...hmmm...I've seen them fire like 12$ shipped...mighty glad you told me they use the same throttle cable...buddy ordered the rse reeds and speed carb...might be next in line depending upon his findings

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
NT speed carb is great, except the extra fuel shut-off is prone to leakage.

i've drilled through the banjo for a straight fuel flow, removed the shut off lever and gasket, an capped it off with a homade gasket and small aluminum plate.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Baird's right; my love of the NT Speed erased my memories of the heartache she gave me early on. That damned banjo-bolt connection can really ruin your day if the gaskets get worn-out or pinched...results in an unstoppable drizzle of fuel. Mind you, I was in the middle of parting out the engine, so I was frequently removing the carb (and that banjo) for access to the rest of the engine. I ended up buying another whole NT Speed ($17 delivered offa eBay) and made sure to tighten down that bolt ONCE, and ONLY once. Haven't had a problem since. In fact, I haven't needed to use the cut-off at all.