Non finned billet flywheel 79cc predi

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I have searched long and hard for an aluminum billet flywheel for my 79cc predator engine. Too many stories about shattered cast iron flywheels.
First thing I did on my Sportsman Flyer 80 build was split the engine case and remove the governor.
All I have found are finned ones. When you are going 30mph fins will just shred your pants leg. "What I want to replace."
DSCN0811.JPG

Today Sunday, I searched Go Kart sites. Still no luck. Seems 212cc is where high performance manufactures provide options. Granted it is a small market. Sure will never see a billet flywheel for a Huasheng. A large undiscovered market.

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I have searched long and hard for an aluminum billet flywheel for my 79cc predator engine. Too many stories about shattered cast iron flywheels.
First thing I did on my Sportsman Flyer 80 build was split the engine case and remove the governor.
All I have found are finned ones. When you are going 30mph fins will just shred your pants leg. "What I want to replace."
View attachment 100253
Today Sunday, I searched Go Kart sites. Still no luck. Seems 212cc is where high performance manufactures provide options. Granted it is a small market. Sure will never see a billet flywheel for a Huasheng. A large undiscovered market.
Lucky for you I was taking a number 2 while reading this and was in a perfect spot to photograph my “Starter Cup Scar” which happened when I did a burnout and the rear end moved to the right. Keep the shroud.

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
BM @ 1AM photo op? You are too much Tony01. My second rotator cuff injury occurred opening the wick on my CR250 in 1985 flopping to the right. Knobbies on dry pavement. I got to check with the guys machining the finned flywheels. The extra external flywheel mass would be useful. You have just give this forum it's first road rash photo I suspect. Thanks for the come back Tony01.
Tom from Rubicon

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
BM @ 1AM photo op? You are too much Tony01. My second rotator cuff injury occurred opening the wick on my CR250 in 1985 flopping to the right. Knobbies on dry pavement. I got to check with the guys machining the finned flywheels. The extra external flywheel mass would be useful. You have just give this forum it's first road rash photo I suspect. Thanks for the come back Tony01.
Tom from Rubicon
No prob. Lowsided on right, hit on intake got air leak, mixture caused throttle to run wide open with my left leg stuck between frame and tire before I could reach up and pull the plug wire. People always wonder how I got these leg scars. Commuting on a 212er for two years will do that...

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Back in 1970 when I bought a 1950 Harley the journey men Tool and Die guys that had been motorcyclists in their youth all pulled up a pants leg to show me a reminder of their salad days. Ray Dagenhart had one a lot like yours. Rode a 1935 Harley into an excavated hole and the bike flopped on him. The exhaust pipe ironed a notch in his right leg before he got the bike off of him.
Tom from Rubicon

Reactions: fasteddy and Tony01

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Back in 1970 when I bought a 1950 Harley the journey men Tool and Die guys that had been motorcyclists in their youth all pulled up a pants leg to show me a reminder of their salad days. Ray Dagenhart had one a lot like yours. Rode a 1935 Harley into an excavated hole and the bike flopped on him. The exhaust pipe ironed a notch in his right leg before he got the bike off of him.
Tom from Rubicon
Damn that is nasty!! I about lost it with the image of old bikers pulling up one pant leg :D

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
A little searching yesterday AGK had a photo of a billet 79cc flywheel. So I looked in the performance part section. Nothing there? So I sent AGK an email.
Got a reply that they do have them made but in limited quantity's and only if they do the installation as the crankcase has to be modified for adjustable spark timing.
Here is the link.

https://affordablegokarts.com/colle...roducts/modified-79cc-predator-engine-stage-1

They also have a stage-2. Not cheap but Pat Dolan says it is worth it performance wise.
Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Different shaft I suspect Norm. I was looking at my SF80 today while out in the shop splitting kindling.
I think I will strip down my spare engine and send it to AGK. Pat recommended decking the head for sure, but advised against changing cams.
Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
An interesting part of the reply from AGK.
"On a positive note I can tell you the stock connecting rod and stock 79cc flywheel have impressed us. We used to race with some friends who would push those stock parts a lot further than we ever would have and not once was there a failure. Also, in all the time we've been selling 79cc Predator performance parts, we have never heard of a flywheel coming apart or a connecting rod breaking. These little engines have proven to be pretty stout. We don't know what the limit of the stock parts is but we can tell you they stay together better than their bigger brother, the 212cc Predator."
AGK

Tom From Rubicon

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
You can also double or triple up the shroud for added protection. How fast are you planning on pushing it? 6000 is no problem at all on these

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Hi Tony,
If I read Shane at AGK right the grenading stock flywheel myth, is a myth on 79cc engines.
Regarding how fast?
Not really in the mix. At my age crashing is very undesirable. But with these little engines power and torque can take all the upgrades they can handle.
I live in SE Wisconsin, noted for its Kettle Moraine topography. Long way of saying "Hilly", and some roads may have 30 degree incline / declines.
Also, I'm thinking lower flywheel mass = quicker acceleration.
RPM ? I bought a electronic Tach but have not set it up yet so I can not say. Same goes for speedo.
Never got around to getting a RAM mount for a GPS.
Thanks for replying Tony.
Tom from Rubicon

Reactions: chainmaker