Newbie needing advice on which motor kit to purchase

GoldenMotor.com

bookjunky4life

Jul 31, 2008
I've been reading all I can on the forum. I'm a girl and not mechanically inclined so a lot of it is over my head. I am looking to purchase an engine kit to put on my bicycle to drive 8 mile round trip to work on flat country backroads. I weigh about 215 lbs if that makes a difference on the motors.

Here is my general understanding so far:
1. Japanese (better quality) vs. Chinese (lesser quality, possibly more problems)
2. 2 stroke (oil/gas mixture in gas tank) vs. 4 stroke (separate oil container like a car. longer engine life)
3. 50 cc vs. 70 cc
4. frame mount (pretty sure this is what I'd want to start with) vs. rear mount
5. Frame mounts only fit "boy" bicycles.

Based upon these understandings I am most interested right now in Spooky Tooth's 2-stroke frame mount Japanese made engine kit for $250. I showed by boyfriend, an auto mechanic, last night and he told me he could install it on my boy's bike. Am I correct in my understanding that a Japanese made motor is a higher quality engine than a Chinese one I could get off Ebay for under $200? Additionally, in this situation what would the difference in the 50 vs. the 70 cc motor be. There's no additional cost for the 70 cc so boyfriend says go for the bigger 70 cc motor. But I think I've read something about the 50 cc generally being a smoother ride or something? I also think I've read that people are generally quite satisfied with Spooky Tooth's motors?

Once I confirm these items, I'm set to order and put my boyfriend to work installing :)

Thanks.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
SpookyTooth's 2-stroke kits are Chinese made. They do say they have japanese bearings though, so who knows. They seem to be the same basic kit as everywhere else. You'll probably get better customer service from them than from on ebay though.

bookjunky4life

Jul 31, 2008
I see that now "Japanese bearings." I just didn't read closely enough. Well, if they are very similar to the $165 ones on ebay, I had to spend almost another $100 if no one has any justifications not to. This makes my head spin. I just don't want to buy a kit and then have to spend a bunch more money replacing parts or what have you else I've read on here.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Hi BookJunky, from what you have said above and wanting a frame mount, I would say either the 48 or 70 would work fine for you. I have had a Spooky Tooth 48cc round head (I don't know if they still have this one but it was great), they are great to deal with and this engine is the best of the eight that I've worked with in the past. Once you get going, four miles won't be enough to satisfy, enjoy the ride...Kelly

bookjunky4life

Jul 31, 2008
Hi BookJunky, from what you have said above and wanting a frame mount, I would say either the 48 or 70 would work fine for you. I have had a Spooky Tooth 48cc round head (I don't know if they still have this one but it was great), they are great to deal with and this engine is the best of the eight that I've worked with in the past. Once you get going, four miles won't be enough to satisfy, enjoy the ride...Kelly
What is the performance difference in a 50 vs. a 70 cc? Is it like my boyfriend said, that the 70cc is a larger engine and simply therefore more powerful?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
bookjunky,

There is a good reason to get one from Spooky and not ebay. What kind of warranty will you get from the ebay seller? If something arrives broken or incomplete, what kind of service will you get from them?

Not only that, but is that $165 including shipping, or no?

bookjunky4life

Jul 31, 2008
bookjunky,

There is a good reason to get one from Spooky and not ebay. What kind of warranty will you get from the ebay seller? If something arrives broken or incomplete, what kind of service will you get from them?

Not only that, but is that $165 including shipping, or no?
The ones I've been looking at are $115 plus about $50 shipping but no warrantly I'm sure. I'm still definitely leaning in the Spooky direction.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
What is the performance difference in a 50 vs. a 70 cc? Is it like my boyfriend said, that the 70cc is a larger engine and simply therefore more powerful?
With my experience the 70 will have more low end torque but my 48s have a better top end. I am 300+ lbs and ride a 48 primarily, I do have to help my bike up hills but its not bad, I can pedal assist to the top of most hills at 15-20mph (I have my bike geared high so I can do this). If you can get the round head this is the way to go, it is a much better engine than the square head 48s. Hope this helps...Kelly

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I agree with Kelly. The 70cc will have a lot more low end torque in my opinion. I find the 48cc to rev faster and have more top speed then the 70cc.

You can't go wrong with SpookyTooth...on Ebay you are stuck with what you got. My advice...it's better to spend the extra money and get one from SpookyTooth.
:ride2:

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Roland at Spooky Tooth seems to read his email promptly, answering them may take awhile, but he is good people and have helped me and my buddy considerably. Spooky is very good with customer support, parts, upgrades and answering questions they have heard a million times.