New workshop

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I was in need of a work shop as building bikes outgrew the garage and running to the cellar to use power tools was getting old. I tried to rent space at local storage places but they do not allow work to be done there. The cheapest garage to rent was $400 a month so I thought I would buy an old camper or try to find one (free stuff on Craigslist, there are normally a few). Take off the camper and make a towable workshop. Last month I noticed this old horse trailer and asked the guy next to it if it was for sale or could be. His exact words; "If you can get it out of here, you can have it." It was full to the roof with tree limbs and mulch. It took me a day to clean it out.

Towed it to the back yard today and am one happy camper!

Now I need to figure out electricity (It is parked a ways out) and windows.
For now am thinking cheap solar for lighting, Smarthome Solar Powered Floodlight, White - 740121 at The Home Depot
and a small engine and alternator/car battery for power tools.
$ thing, but some day go all solar with it. dunno. Any thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've seen some solar shop light's just like the one you have a link to at harbor frieght for $30.00....How far is it from a outlet?? for the price of one solar light you could get one heck of a long extension cord... Look's like it would be a great workshop...nice find :D

:ride2:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Is only 100 feet or so from an outlet and would be the best answer for sure, Fair. I would have to bury the line though. Or maybe just run a cord out when needed. LOL, I have grown to know what ever I do just for now, will be there tomorrow too.

My big concern is having to do any thing before just turning on the coffee maker in the morning!

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Dan On my trailers i use solar to charge a 12 volt deep cycle battery,which runs into a 1400 watt inverter to run my lights,drill ,saws etc.In the long run ,green power will save you alot.Harleys Dad

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Nice Dan! I have a trailer too and I have a generator or a cord to power up my A/C, lights, TV and some power tools but since you're only a hundred feet from an outlet, it would be quieter and easier to run a long 10 or 12 gauge extension cord.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I vote extension cord.. I'm not very green minded..Plus big reel on the back of your bike... Just hook it up at the house and ride down trailing cord behind you..