New to this hobby

GoldenMotor.com

Lone Wolf

Jul 28, 2021
i was just looking at one of those Chinese 4 stoke kits and replacing the engine with something about the same size and power but a million times more trust worthy like a Honda CG160
I can't see the output shaft on that one, but if it is long enough, I would still suggest a CVT. The weight of your packs on your front and rear racks is the load I was referring to. Centrifugal clutches are just not strong enough to handle it. They will most likely burn out on the first fairly steep incline you try to climb.

Lone Wolf

Jul 28, 2021
Think of yourself as being that motor. When you were in the service, which was easier for you? Walking without anything on your back, or walking with a full pack. That motor will have the same reactions.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
With the aluminum frames breaking it was the general opinion that stress and vibration was what caused the problems. Not every frame used had it happen but a lot of them did. Enough that it was considered too dangerous to use them safely.

Steve.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Lone Wolf

Jul 28, 2021
Lone Wolf,
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your son. My son rode his 250cc Yamaha to Brazil. Every day I held my breath until he posted on his blog. He had some spills and thrills and a great trip.

Steve.
Thank you Steve. It has been five years, but you never really get over it. A parent should not out live their children. I'm glad your son made it back.

Lone Wolf

Jul 28, 2021
With the aluminum frames breaking it was the general opinion that stress and vibration was what caused the problems. Not every frame used had it happen but a lot of them did. Enough that it was considered too dangerous to use them safely.

Steve.
When it is my time nothing will stop it, so why not have all the fun I can along the way.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I'm in this one last time.
A Comet CTV works great with a 212cc. SBP are unreliable (casting flaw) may have been rectified.
Hilliard = Short service cycle, they work, and cheap. Relatively speaking.
Extreme Duty Centrifugal Clutches - Go-Kart, Racing Kart, and Youth Snowmobiles (hilliardextremeduty.com)

Bully single disk centrifugal clutch. Costs more than most bicycles. Ordered from Sportsman Flyer the clutch is set for the engine application. Unlike conventional centrifugal clutches, the Bully clutch stays locked until the engine rpm is almost at idle speed. Which means the clutch allows engine braking when off throttle.
SPORTSMAN FLYER CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH BY BULLY | SPORTSMAN FLYER MOTORBIKES
Dustan I purchased a 3D motorsport manual clutch with a 3/4 bore on sale. Could be yours, if i can break even.
Fasteddy/Steve has a 3D on his Indian Tadpole.
3D Motorsport- Manual Clutches for Go Karts and Mini Bikes – 3D Motorsport Engineering
Tom

Reactions: Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Jul 28, 2021
Pat at Sportsman Flyer sells a Bully clutch that he has the springs set up for motorbikes by the factory. He used them to race at the Bonneville Salt Flats to set record speeds. It would be worth a look I think.

Steve.
If they aren't too expensive for you, then he is right, give one a try. In the mean time go on youtube and watch some videos about centrifugal clutches vs CVTs. I watched one from Redbeard's Garage that showed them burning one up on a go-cart just by holding it back.

Reactions: fasteddy

Lone Wolf

Jul 28, 2021
I'm in this one last time.
A Comet CTV works great with a 212cc. SBP are unreliable (casting flaw) may have been rectified.
Hilliard = Short service cycle, they work, and cheap. Relatively speaking.
Extreme Duty Centrifugal Clutches - Go-Kart, Racing Kart, and Youth Snowmobiles (hilliardextremeduty.com)

Bully single disk centrifugal clutch. Costs more than most bicycles. Ordered from Sportsman Flyer the clutch is set for the engine application. Unlike conventional centrifugal clutches, the Bully clutch stays locked until the engine rpm is almost at idle speed. Which means the clutch allows engine braking when off throttle.
SPORTSMAN FLYER CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH BY BULLY | SPORTSMAN FLYER MOTORBIKES
Dustan I purchased a 3D motorsport manual clutch with a 3/4 bore on sale. Could be yours, if i can break even.
Fasteddy/Steve has a 3D on his Indian Tadpole.
3D Motorsport- Manual Clutches for Go Karts and Mini Bikes – 3D Motorsport Engineering
Tom
I have never seen these clutches before, but after reading about it, it could be a good solution for you. It would be better than a centrifugal clutch, because you would be in control of how much it engages, and be more able to keep it from burning up. It may also be less expensive than a CVT. I got my Comet TAV 30 at Walmart.com for $52.00.

Reactions: fasteddy

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Steve does it right again by offering you condolences Wolf. I am a curmudgeon, crusty on the out side with a tender core.
I cannot imagine the pain you suffered of your son's passing. I have no children of my own. Lazy Norwegians are that way. Both Mona's boys ever showed no interest in two wheel travel. Though #1 Derek liked to passenger with me on my R80/7 BMW.
Tom