New Rider with WildFire Motorbike, looking for Master Link...

GoldenMotor.com

John-Forrest

Jul 18, 2008
Hello, I'm new here and I'm John-Forrest with a WildFire Motorbike WF-26MB. It's basically a combination of a bicycle and 49cc engine that I have registered as a moped in MA. I've only had it for a week and other day, engine chain broke off, probably because when I tightened bike chain, engine chain got too tight. I'm looking for a Master Link to put it back together.

The length of chain is 300 mm (3 feet). Each link is 20 mm long by 12 mm wide (face down). That's also 3/4 inch x 1/2 inch in English. Does the Master Link for 415 match with that?

I'm asking Grady Howell, if he's there.

Thanks,
John Forrest

John-Forrest

Jul 18, 2008
Do you know the dimensions of that 415 Master Link? I want to make sure it's going to work. Are these kind of chains standard for small bike engines? (They look pretty much alike to me.)

One aspect that is confusing to a beginner is how tight to make bike chain vs. how tight engine chain needs to be. (By the way, I assume any bike chain will work on that side.) The first week I had it bike chain slipped off while I was pedalling uphill, so I was making bike chain tighter - then I had accident with engine chain breaking. Chain is ok, I just need the Master Link.

I'm a bit confused about whether it helps to peddle while engine is engaged - or detrimental. I know it helps up very steep hills when engine is overworked.

If anyone has a couple of spare master links and can send to me one in envelope (for which I will pay), that would really help.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Pedaling with the engine engaged doesn't hurt anything

You will want to keep you chain (engine side) around 3/4" freeplay, not tighter.

John-Forrest

Jul 18, 2008
Looking at the picture, what is most important dimension. These .306 and .141 are inches? My own assumption is plate distance and pitch are most important.

There is a email shop called BiketoMoped that carries #415 master link. I don't have a car, so I can't drive around asking at motorcycle shops. That's exactly why I have this.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Welcome to the forum John.
I have quit using master link. I hated losing the clips or master link on a ride. I just connect the links with my chain breaker. I run the heck out of my bike and other toys and haven't had a chain problem in a long time.

John-Forrest

Jul 18, 2008
I decided to get Master Link for 415; distance between plates and pitch match my chain. That's interesting that you can just put chains together with chain breaker. I assume you adjust for shorter chain.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The local bike shop I go to carries 415 chain. I bought two 8 foot lengths so I have plenty of chain to add extra links. Since you're wanting to use the master link, you should call your local bike shops to see if they have any 415 master links or see if they could get you some. I know some guys put nail polish on the clip to prevent them from coming off. Also I found out that if you install a masterlink clip backwards, they will come off. Good luck.

ronaldv73

Jun 7, 2012
Lansing,MI
Hello, I'm new here and I'm John-Forrest with a WildFire Motorbike WF-26MB. It's basically a combination of a bicycle and 49cc engine that I have registered as a moped in MA. I've only had it for a week and other day, engine chain broke off, probably because when I tightened bike chain, engine chain got too tight. I'm looking for a Master Link to put it back together.

The length of chain is 300 mm (3 feet). Each link is 20 mm long by 12 mm wide (face down). That's also 3/4 inch x 1/2 inch in English. Does the Master Link for 415 match with that?

I'm asking Grady Howell, if he's there.

Thanks,John Forrest
I had my WF26-MB two weeks before mine broke down, please fully read instructions, like they say about Harley's you have to keep all nuts and bolts tightened including the carb. as a nut came off mine and went into the shaft to the cylinder therefore seasing up the engine, the way it happened I also broke my chain, Cheney is my town makes chains but I assure you that you will have to contact WildFire Motors for a new chain and ask for some extra links I paid under $20 delivered, when mine broke down I replaced it with a regular $2000 50cc scooter in 2008, mine is for sale if interested for $275 with zero miles on it with new engine & chain. Ron V Lansing,MI laff