New Member in need of some help

GoldenMotor.com

jondoescrew

Jan 27, 2009
melbourne FL
Hey guys I've only been a member for a little while now, but i have received lots of help from just reading old posts. This is my first one so i'll tell you a little about me and my situation. I am a dirt poor college student in central florida but my home is in virginia. My motorized bike became a primary mode of transportation after i nursed my wrangler back to school for the spring semester. The wrangler needs a rebuilt rear end, so the bicycle is far cheaper to fix and maintain. As a student i dont really need to drive very much except to get to work. For "Work", i work for a nonprofit organization coaching high school kids crew, which is competitive rowing. (it does exist look it up on google ;] )

Now for my bicycle. I did not buy this kit or install it. I acquired it (took it) from a guy i know from school because it had been sitting outside for about a year, neglected, and not working. To make a long story short i got the thing running and was using it for fun back then when my jeep worked. I dont think much care was taken in assembly or set up based on my experience with it. The current problem is one of the motor mount bolts snapped off in the engine. Its on the back, by the clutch. Its one of those bolts with the threads on both ends. Any ideas on how to get it out? It snapped right at the housing not down inside. The motor is a 49cc 2 stroke.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Use a dremel tool with a cut off wheel, and make a slot. Unscrew it with a screw driver.

Alternately, use a very small punch or chisel, and turn it out by tapping it.

You can also drill it and use an EZ out bolt extractor.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you do the first option, don't worry about cutting into the case slightly, but try to keep the cutting mostly on the broken bolt, that is to say "It don't have to be neet".

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
If you need a replacement stud let me know the length in inches and whether or not you need a nut and washer/lock washers. My son was a college student about 10 years ago and had vehicle problems he was in Ohio at school and we were at the time in Pounding Mill,Va. so I kind of know the pain your going through. If you or your buddies have any experience at mechanics go to a junk yard and see if you can't find a replacement rear end it takes a little work but you can do it get a shop manual and go for it. Get your buddies to help doing a rear end is a Sunday afternoon repair it can be fun and a learning experience.
PM me with your parts needed for the bike and your mailing address.
Norman

Last edited: