New here, with a DIY Chainsaw Bike

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lightning Boy, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Lightning Boy

Lightning Boy New Member

Haven't been riding much since the snow started, so I'm dismantling both bikes for a winter checkup and rebuild. When the roads dry out again, I'll be ready.

"Electricity is really just organized lightning." -George Carlin

2. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

LOL @ Mr. Carlin.

Maintenance is a great thing. Learned this the odd way but got board one winter and cleaned all my drive chains. (I am big on building. Not so much on maintenance, snork)

But it added 1 to 2 MPH. Was really surprised. Could lessen the work for the engines that much with a dumb, little thing like that.

3. Lightning Boy

Lightning Boy New Member

Started in with a fine tooth comb last night, and everything looks to be in good order. Still runs fine, and the bracketry has no cracks.
    There was one bolt missing from the casing of the saw, which must have been a recent occurrence. Maybe this one screw will be my magic elixir as the drive chain cleaning was for yours, Dan. A couple extra miles an hour wouldn't draw any complaints from me. :)

4. Tyler2012

Tyler2012 New Member

Nice build! Hopefully i can scrounge up the materials for a build later this winter. dance1

5. Lightning Boy

Lightning Boy New Member

Thanks, Tyler. Best of luck!

The plot thickens: There was one stud missing from the block! I have no idea how it kept running after that without damaging the piston, rod, or cylinder. It fired up fine before I tore everything down...
    Spotting that missing case bolt may have saved my engine. There are a couple other small two strokes in pieces around the workbench, so hopefully I can salvage a stud and case screws from one of them.
    Good thing I'm on holiday vacation. :)

#65 Lightning Boy, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  6. Lightning Boy

Lightning Boy New Member

I had to step away for a while, to handle some family business. My father's health went downhill pretty quickly. Sadly, he passed away from brain cancer in July. The last ride I took on this bike, he was beside me on his Harley for the first stretch. I'll never forget that.

I never did save that small saw. It was past the point of rescue, so I swapped the Homelite XL from my other DIY build onto the heavier frame. The mounting brackets were leftovers from the pile of parts from both. Haven't ridden it yet, but I did rebuild it. I imagine that will change in the near future. Once I make the successful test run, pics will follow.

7. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Sorry to hear about your dad passing. Saying goodbye to our folks is rough, I know.
    SB

8. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

I am so sorry for your Loss, LB.

There are no words

9. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry for your loss Lightning Boy

10. Lightning Boy

Lightning Boy New Member