New builder with hicup

GoldenMotor.com

monty

Apr 1, 2008
Hello everyone, I just bought an ebay engine kit, it was a 70cc and real simple to install, but will start but not stay running and have no acceleration once it starts, just finished reading about the gas tank, and it may have had gunk in it and I may have already got it stopped up? Anyway I am a old 62 who just retired and built this to have something to do, got tired of pedaling all the time.... seems like a great place to ask or answer questions....think I will clean tank out and try again....bye:ride2:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Monty, welcome to the forum. Lots of us more mature folks here. I bet the fuel tank would be the best place to start. Do you have an inline fuel filter between the tank and the carb. If you don't, you need one. I know from experience..................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Hey junior I'm 63 and bought mine for pretty much the same reason. I didn't find mine all that easy to install, but then I'm mechanically challenged.

If it isn't the fuel tank and filter, it might well be an air leak, these engines are notorious for that. They typically leak at the joint between the manifold and the carb tubes. Also now and then the manifold gasket. Air leaks will definitely cause those problems it did for me. Let us know how you progress and welcome aboard...

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Hello everyone, I just bought an ebay engine kit, it was a 70cc and real simple to install, but will start but not stay running and have no acceleration once it starts, just finished reading about the gas tank, and it may have had gunk in it and I may have already got it stopped up? Anyway I am a old 62 who just retired and built this to have something to do, got tired of pedaling all the time.... seems like a great place to ask or answer questions....think I will clean tank out and try again....bye:ride2:
Could be a tank issue.....or fuel delivery issue....

a) do you mean you can't set even a high idle?
b) when you gun it, it dies?
c) what is the choke position during this time?

Is it like this: http://motorbicycling.com/f4/brainstorm-2-stroke-bogging-me-501.html

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome monty! you will find most in this are in their 40's - 70-s. i was pretty surprised. i didnt know anything about them and when i bought the kit it was for a fun project. however its more then a project now it is a passion. glad to have you with us. if you need anything please ask
paul

monty

Apr 1, 2008
Thanks to all the replys on my new build, I clean the tank, lines, carb and installed a new inline filter, wow this baby gets it on, scared the **** outa me.I live on a circle drive that is .9 of a mile around it, about got dizzy going around it so much, didn't want to quit. Do have two problems, the factory kill switch does not work (go a new one coming) the other is the engine idles really fast, am out of throttle cable and little brass sleeve inside is about 1/8" from seating so am going inside the handle on the handle bar and see if I can trim off a little nylon and allow needle to close a little more, does this make sense?.. born to ride...... wife will never see me again.... smile.....

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Obviously, you've checked the idle screw, right?

Other reasons it could be idling high are air leaks in the intake.

monty

Apr 1, 2008
thanks for info, I will check it out tomorrow and see what happens, felt like the idle screw was going to fall out if I brought it out any further....will check intake...... thank you...... Monty