Need some suggestions.

GoldenMotor.com

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
Hello, I am looking to get an engine for my bicycle. I have read threw all of the stickies, and checked out all of the web pages that sell engines, but I still just don't know which one would fit my needs (I am new to the world of bicycle engines :p).

I have a good amount of experience with 2 stroke engines. I have had 125cc 2 stroke, 250cc 2 stroke, a "drag" Banshee (364cc 2 stroke running avgas), a 250cc 4 stroke and a 125cc 4 stroke.

-I would like to spend no more than about $300(+or- some if worth) it on the engine.
-It will be used as a primary mode of transportation.
-I definitely need something that gets good gas mileage (50mpg minimum {if that is realistic}).
-I don't mind mixing oil (I have always preferred/loved 2 strokes).
-I do have access to welding equipment, and I have just about any tool I could need.
-Quietness is a plus (I don't want to make people angry or piss off cops).

I would really appreciated any suggestions you guys could give me :).

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
If you go with 2-stroke, they're basically all the same kit (with a few minor differences). So the general consensus is go with a reputable dealer that will be easy to work with if something happens to go wrong.

There are a couple other 2-stroke motors available, but they are much more expensive (and more powerful). I forget the brand, but Easy Rider has one.

The gas mileage of these Chinese-made 2 strokes is 100-150mpg so I think you'll be able to get what you want when it comes to that.

There is a "find a dealer and review" type of thread somewhere around here, it might help.

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
If you go with 2-stroke, they're basically all the same kit (with a few minor differences). So the general consensus is go with a reputable dealer that will be easy to work with if something happens to go wrong.

There are a couple other 2-stroke motors available, but they are much more expensive (and more powerful). I forget the brand, but Easy Rider has one.

The gas mileage of these Chinese-made 2 strokes is 100-150mpg so I think you'll be able to get what you want when it comes to that.

There is a "find a dealer and review" type of thread somewhere around here, it might help.
ok thanks. I was wondering about a few other things as well... With the two stroke engines, do they exhaust a lot of visible smoke? I know that my dirtbikes did, but how about these smaller engines? Also about how loud are these at full throttle? Are the Chinese engines reliable? lol sorry for all the questions :p.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I have only seen smoke from my motor once, and that's when I had a bit too much choke on it and it was just idling warming up.

I'd say they're about as loud as a cross between an industrial leaf blower and weedeater. There are ways to make them quieter though.

If you take care of them, they can be reliable. unfortunately they're just really cheep Chinese goods, so tolerances aren't great, and they won't last as long as a Japanese-made motor would. Several people on here have ridden there's for thousands of miles though.

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
I have only seen smoke from my motor once, and that's when I had a bit too much choke on it and it was just idling warming up.

I'd say they're about as loud as a cross between an industrial leaf blower and weedeater. There are ways to make them quieter though.

If you take care of them, they can be reliable. unfortunately they're just really cheep Chinese goods, so tolerances aren't great, and they won't last as long as a Japanese-made motor would. Several people on here have ridden there's for thousands of miles though.
Alrite, thanks for all of the input.

After looking through all of the websites, to me it seems that this one is best...

FiveFlagsMotorBikes.com (there 70cc 2 stroke motor kit)

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Also were can I get aftermarket parts? (such as different gas tanks, sprockets etc.)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I haven't personally heard much about fiveflags.

As for aftermarket parts...you can get sprockets from King's (see ad at the top of this page).

I've only seen one different gas tank come with these, and it was the same shape, just bigger. If you want a different gas tank, you'll probably have to make your own, or modify an existing one.

You can get expansion chambers for pocket bikes and small dirt bikes, but you will have to adapt them yourself for the motor.

There are a couple carbs available.

For more, see here: High Performance Bicycle Engine Tips - Bicycle Motor at Motorized Bicycle Forum

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Have you looked into Dax, Livefast or Spookytooth? All are priced similarly, and all have a good reputation.

I have never heard of that seller.

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
I haven't personally heard much about fiveflags.

As for aftermarket parts...you can get sprockets from King's (see ad at the top of this page).

I've only seen one different gas tank come with these, and it was the same shape, just bigger. If you want a different gas tank, you'll probably have to make your own, or modify an existing one.

You can get expansion chambers for pocket bikes and small dirt bikes, but you will have to adapt them yourself for the motor.

There are a couple carbs available.

For more, see here: High Performance Bicycle Engine Tips - Bicycle Motor at Motorized Bicycle Forum
ah ok, yeah I just don't like the look of the gas tanks that come with these kits... I just don't think putting a "chopper" style gas tank on a bicycle really works. I will defiantly be on the lookout for one I can make. I will definitely check around for different parts and things that I can do. Thanks for all your help so far :).

Have you looked into Dax, Livefast or Spookytooth? All are priced similarly, and all have a good reputation.

I have never heard of that seller.
Oh woops, I completely missed the engines section on Spooky Tooth. Dax and livefast are to expensive.. But the 70cc Spooky Tooth engine kit is perfect, and it is close to me (Arizona, im in California). Thanks :).

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
If you look at datz150's build thread in the pictures section "rotten orange" he has fabricated a cylindrical gas tank for mounting on the rear rack.

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
If you look at datz150's build thread in the pictures section "rotten orange" he has fabricated a cylindrical gas tank for mounting on the rear rack.
Yeah I was looking at that. My one problem with doing that would be that I only know people who can weld steel, not aluminum. Does steel rust with gasoline?

I have been looking around a lot for gas tanks, or things that can be used as one.. and so far I have found the Oil Tanks for older Harley's that look a lot like the one datz150 made.. but they are about $180 dollars.. so thats a bit over what I want to spend on something like that.

Would one of those gallon or half gallon gas tanks work?

I could just put a petcock in the can, and put it on the rear rack of my bike. Just as a temporary solution until I can get something nice looking.

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Steel will work fine for a gas tank. You can get some gas tank sealer stuff to seal up the inside and prevent any rust.

My only concern about a regular gas can is getting the petcock mounted securely and 100% leak-proof

Radmanfly

Jul 28, 2008
Oswego, NY
www.farleysradiator.com
How about a small push or riding mower tank from a junker? Its all set up with mounting holes, cap, fittings etc, even mounting hardware. Just find one the right shape and size. Choose a plastic one so you can watch the fuel level. There must be someone around there that has a pile of mowers etc. to pick through.

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
Steel will work fine for a gas tank. You can get some gas tank sealer stuff to seal up the inside and prevent any rust.

My only concern about a regular gas can is getting the petcock mounted securely and 100% leak-proof
Alrite, yeah I was kind of worried about that to.. I think I will just use the standard one for now, I found some steel 1500psi 20oz tanks so I am going to be looking into turning those into a gas tank.

How about a small push or riding mower tank from a junker? Its all set up with mounting holes, cap, fittings etc, even mounting hardware. Just find one the right shape and size. Choose a plastic one so you can watch the fuel level. There must be someone around there that has a pile of mowers etc. to pick through.
Possibly, if the steel ones I found don't work, I saw some square ones that came from a scooter, so those could work.. Yeah a clear plastic one would be nice, so I can tell when the gas is getting low..

Well I picked up a bicycle for the project today.. I was going to by a used one, but I found a brand new 26" mountain bike for only $65 bucks... can't beat that.

(gotta take the stickers off of it, true the rims, adjust the brakes and shifters)

I am confused on how much space I need beween the back of the top tube to the top of the bottom bracket.. I have heard that I need 14"... but on Spooky Tooth it says I need 11"... So how much do I really need.. I measured it out and I have about 11.5"...t

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
With 11.5" it should fit, but barely. You might have to modify the intake manifold to make it fit.

My last bike had 12" I think and it was a tight fit.

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
With 11.5" it should fit, but barely. You might have to modify the intake manifold to make it fit.

My last bike had 12" I think and it was a tight fit.
Alrite, well I am fine with that.. As long as it fits for the most part.

I took off all the stickers... you know for a 65 dollar bicycle it doesn't look half bad. (not completely digging the white forks though)

So far it looks like I need to true both rims, the rear one is quite wobbly. I will probobly stop by my local bicycle shop and pick up some new tires, seat, brakes, and possibly pedals. Later on I want to replace the front forks, shifters, grips, and possibly the handlebars...

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
When you get to the engine and see that your going to need an intake manifold custom made give me a shout.
I like the bike and that is a good price even the white forks look good. did you get it at wallyworld?
Norman
here is an example of my offset carb manifold on my bike

[/IMG]

Last edited:

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
When you get to the engine and see that your going to need an intake manifold custom made give me a shout.
I like the bike and that is a good price even the white forks look good. did you get it at wallyworld?
Norman
Yeah thats what I was hearing from Bob at Blue Collar Bikes.. I should get the engine by Friday or Monday, so I will see what needs to be done then.

Yep got it from wal-mart, I checked every store that sold bikes in my area and that was by far the best priced steel frame hardtail mountain bike... I think the next one up was around $160..

**edit

ah I see, well I will see whats goin on when I get the engine.. thanks for the picture :)

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
some of the off road tires that come on the bikes are rough riding and don't grip the pavemnt when making a turn and can dump ya so be careful with the knobbies.

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
some of the off road tires that come on the bikes are rough riding and don't grip the pavemnt when making a turn and can dump ya so be careful with the knobbies.
Yeah your definitely rite... Hence why I JUST bought and installed a new pair of tires :D.

I got a Serfas Drifter FPS 26"x2" in the Rear, and a Drifter FPS 26X1.5" in the front.

I have always loved these tires.. There not to expensive $27 each, they can handle a LOT of weight, very grippy on the cement, I have never gotten a flat with one on my Full suspension bike in the 3 years I have used them, and they have a bit of an inverted tread, so they actually do quite well on dirt to.

I just tested my bike out with the new tires and man... it feels so much better than the knobbies, the bike works wayyy better than I expected.

Next on this list:
Engine - (should be here on Friday or Monday)
Grips - (the ones on the bike are soo bad, no grip and they keep coming off even after I used grip glue)
Pedals - (The ones on the bike just have no grip, and they are plastic {which I have never trusted})
Seat - (I just need a nice comfortable seat, the one on the bike is rock hard)
... and a lot more

Last edited: