NE5 Whizzer help!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

MDoria

Mar 26, 2020
Greetings & Cheers

Just got the motor rebuilt (brother in law hookup on a badly seated piston ring & new head gasket / Hone & polish)

anyway re-assembly has been good except i appear to have lost the spring that tensions the slipper/pulley assembly

any suggestions on correct dimensions/where to find a replacement? (my mechanic is just as perplexed at finding a replacement lol)

Thank you in advance! can't wait to get her back on the road!!

Attachments

MDoria

Mar 26, 2020
I did, and he shipped it to me without even requesting payment! I had requested payment info from him and never received it, left me wondering for a while if he was going to ship and then it appeared in our PO box. Any write ups or suggestions on getting the belt tension set correctly?

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I did, and he shipped it to me without even requesting payment! I had requested payment info from him and never received it, left me wondering for a while if he was going to ship and then it appeared in our PO box. Any write ups or suggestions on getting the belt tension set correctly?
Paul mailed the spring to you in good faith I doubt it was for free.
Since Paul forgot to put in the $ invoice.You should call him and ask him what he wants for the spring. The least you could do is to send him $5 and the cost of shipping. Paul often sends me parts and forgets to include the $cost.
It is important to keep your good Credit with Paul. Cause Paul will treat you right.

Belt tension, Move the engine forward or backwards to adjust belt tension

MDoria

Mar 26, 2020
Yes! Absolutely it was sent out in good faith, sorry I did not phrase myself properly.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I see your clutch arm is slotted. Never seen one like that.
The clutch arm needs movement. Grease bushings,Tighten the nut down then back off about 1/16 of a turn this allows the arm to move. If clutch arm bolt holes spacing is like mine in the Pic your clutch arm is fine, If the bolt holes spacing is different. You need another clutch arm. Paul will have one for you. Front belt should not rub. You should have a least 1/8" clearance. When belts are tight there should only be 1" play - Movement up 1/2" and down 1/2" - total 1" movement.

Attachments

Last edited:

MDoria

Mar 26, 2020
thank you very much! ya my belts have no play, tightness must the issue. Mine only has 11 miles on it, it came from the owner of Pedego electric bikes. They parked it in their show room and just let it sit, i put a few miles on it and thought I blew a ring (losing compression). So I parked it, intended on sending it to woodstock : spoke with them once, then again before shipping and was notified he'd fallen under bad health (I now see their site is gone, I hope the best for their family). So my brother in laws shop in Utah agreed to take the motor, and it ended up just being poorly torqued head bolts. So they tore it down, did some polishing cleaning, re-check etc, hand lap / hone on head, new head gasket, and boom whizzer is finally almost ready for fun again. Yours looks awesome, looks very familiar! (except you have some chrome details mine didn't come with). with those details I should be able to fire it up tonight.

Reactions: FOG

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Fire er up and ride
My bike looked just like yours when she was new.
I put on Worksman Cycles drum brake wheels
I run a NE-5 Westman Cyl, I Did the valve and piston fit my self.
Ralph Passed away in Jan 2020 All of Woodstock whizzer Works sales have stopped and will not be available. He has hundreds of Cylinders in his shop. Ralph willed everything to his ex wife and she is gonna auction everything off someday. I keep waiting for the cyl to surface some where. I will buy a couple more if I ever see them again
Over the years I kept on adding to my bikes pin collection.
My Gal says I buy my Whizzer more jewelry than I buy for her

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Not sure if you know about the cam to crank timing marks?
Whizzer had the cam timing mark (dot) stamped one tooth retarded so Whizzer could sell the bikes in USA and meet rules. 1.95 HP 30 MPH
So if the timing marks are lined up that puts the timing retarded.1.95 HP
The timing mark (dot) on the cam should be set one tooth counter clockwise from the timing Mark (dot) on the crank gear. That will give you more HP and your bike should cruise at 40+ MPH.
Must have a no rev limit CDI

Last edited:

MDoria

Mar 26, 2020
Worked too late last night to get back to the bike, funny enough I originally picked it up thinking my wife would ride it to and from her work down the street as we bike alot around town (shes too tiny to start it up cold we discovered). The timing though, I had no idea. I feel like the cdi is the same I've seen on the chinese pit bikes, any suggestions on where to find the correct one to make that upgrade?

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
The CDI you have might be OK, ride the bike. If you notice at high RPM you loose power, then upgrade the CDI
A 5 pin AC CDI with no rev limit are very common. The seller will describe the CDI as a CDI with no rev limit. Paul will have one. You can also find 5 pin AC CDIs on line everywhere. That look the same as the one you got
I use a high performance CDI and coil.
www.motoredbikes.com/threads/high-performance-cdi-coil.55680/

Reactions: MDoria

MDoria

Mar 26, 2020
just went through the belt thread and still can't seem to get the belt off of the "shafts" that the belt cover mounts to. It seems the tension from the new spring is pulling the pulley upwards, forcing the belt to rub on the lower shafts. is it just a matter of break in?

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Did you hook the spring where the luggage rack mounts, Under the luggage rack mounting bracket to the frame support cross bar?

Attachments

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Cruzzer changed a few things from when it was owned by Whizzer.
Cruzzer mounts their spring different and I'm wondering if you got a shorter spring? My spring has 11 coils how many coils dose your spring have?

MDoria

Mar 26, 2020
Well that just may be it, I'm counting 10 coils. I'm a pretty dangerous garage mechanic, but after a week of fiddling couldnt find a happy position....was starting to question my sanity. It definitely seems it's just barely too short.

Attachments