My summer bike build

GoldenMotor.com

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Here's my bike I'm going to use for the summer build off. I got it all dismantled today and found some cracks. I'll split some tubing and weld around the cracked tubes. I may even put some kind of gusset on the bottom between the two tubes for some additional support. My plan is to use an under the bar bullet tank, 27" skinny wheels and tires, and one of them cool pablo, ghosto jackshaft kits...............

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If I had that bike I'd have had to strip it and junk out that frame. You guys have a lot high skill level than this fat ole city boy.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I think some water had got in the frame and collected in those little bends and of course add some cold freezing weather to that and voila'. The rust is only surface rust. Still lots of good metal there. I've got another frame, the one the 27" wheels came off of. Only thing is it's a girls style. I could add a bar to it but the double tube going down would significantly reduce the amount of room for an engine. So I'll cut it up and use it for peices of tubing................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'd go with the girlie bike, then put a rack on the back for the gas tank if the bar wouldn't fit. there is a lot more room in some of those things than meets the eye. the sissy schwinn for instance.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I've got my ilikeabikea cam running today. I'm out in the shop grinding on my frame. I took the extra bar out and now I'm getting it ready to put in bar and make it into a real boy bike. So if you wanna watch just add ilikeabikea to your contact list on Yahoo IM. I've got it set so anyone can watch........................

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I finally got back to building today. Here's a picture. I just have the "drop loop tube" sitting there. I'm still trying to figure just how I want it to look. I really like this stand too. It really makes it nice for doing this kind of stuff....................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now that's what I like to see... Someone trying to plan before they attack. My method is to get it done then go back take it apart and do it right... lol..

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Here it is withe loop tacked in. I really like the way it looks. I'm going to go with a springer front and 26" tires and wheels. That should make my front tire clear the loop.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
i like that "boy bar."

my Molotov project bike is really a girl's bike with a straight piece of tubing welded on very inexpertly. i'd like to take that tube off, see how the engine sits in the frame and then maybe get someone to properly put a top tube of some kind on it.

or maybe i'll leave off the top tube a la deacon and the sissy Schwinn :) whatever i do, though, i can see that learning to weld is in my future.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
whatever i do, though, i can see that learning to weld is in my future.
Welding is pretty darn fun, and I would recommend everyone pick up a welder at least once in their life. The only bad part is getting hot bits of metal that burn through your shoe and sit on top of your foot, and then forget that the muffler you just welded is VERY HOT and just grab it like it was room temperature :eek:

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
I like it, that looks great. I might be wrong but it looks like your head tube is a bit too vertical. I would sugest maybe giving it another degree or two of rake. This will make your steering alot less twitchy and it will handle much better. Keep up the good work...Kelly