My Second Build

GoldenMotor.com

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I'm thinking about the phantom jug but on the 110 12mm crank and 460 piston so I don't have to cross any fingers... I have a case reed 110 ... A phantom with a 3rd transfer is an option... The 110 cylinder is very bad... All the phantom has is the cylinder...
I was banned from another forum for my opinions on the first and latest phantom and don't mind being ghosted here or anywhere for my 40years of experience with 2strokes... Since my ban they've made my point for me and deleted most of the 2500 posts over there... These forums are for the primary purpose of selling the sponsors parts... Not just a $80 phantom jug and a competitors bottom end... bicycle engines.com is a con artist there about making money not a quality product and they give out a promotional engine to a moderator/ influencer that's been gone over to generate sales... They make contracts to be exclusive to the parts they sell and when you get a junk one it's played off as you did something and they don't back it up... Its the Robert Antley, Ryan Darra, Ethan smolik style of business where they promote and promise but only deliver to there select few insiders and everyone else and gets the cast off slag that pays there bills... I don't mind because learned a long time ago with a prepaid zeda mafa pipe... I've waited for ever for RDM clutch and actually got 2 free cylinders from bicycle engines because they sent junk... Even going way back to Fred Claminski (2012) sent me rusty OZmag saying it rusted in the mail... With that said I don't share my builds I just collect parts from everyone and share the latest parts available I've found that I think would work

Attachments

Reactions: PeteJ

Mossy

May 20, 2022
This is the part that bicycle engines after several attempts just can't get right... 4O years of experience says the c circlip style is the way to go... Just because an engine has power doesn't mean it is quality... In reality more power is harder on parts... Why I waited for the cylinder to become available ? I don't just want a taste of the phantom for a few hundred miles when the quality parts are available... And save money... I inspect everything before running it out of the box... When I read someone is running a motor out of the box... I'm thinking about mabe the engines need a table spoon of grit during break in to polish the inside and fill in the voids... And I need to put the piston ring pins twords the exaust to unleash it's full potential... I could triple my business with customers returning with nickel and dime fixes... But I don't abuse my knowledge to take advantage of people who aren't in the know... I understand that bicycle engines and their marketing team aren't going to want someone exposing the flaws and offering a solution that correctly fixes their issues for the same or less money... Stihl and homelite been around for a long while and until I see a phantom 85 dealership with an old rusty sign out front in every town across the country and overseas that's serviced and supplied countless parts to real world 2 strokes I'm going to be a little biased on the hard parts that I use and depend on... If I'm wrong about the phantom piston setup I've cheated the logging industry out of the greatest innovation in 60+ years and will have to live with the embarrassment of not having recommended it replace the Stihl one... They just have to sell a billion more fantoms for an accurate comparison ;)

Attachments

FrizzleFried

Jul 27, 2022
FWIW I already have a Stihl MS460 piston w/ Caber rings (and authentic Stihl C-Clips). That said, the Phantom 85 6-month warranty stipulates I use stock parts. I am using stock parts. If the motor makes it through break-in ... I'm likely going to swap out the piston for the MS460. As to whether I'll window it or not, I'm not 100% sure. If I do I'll stick with the reed setup otherwise I'll go with a standard intake.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

Mossy

May 20, 2022
FWIW I already have a Stihl MS460 piston w/ Caber rings (and authentic Stihl C-Clips). That said, the Phantom 85 6-month warranty stipulates I use stock parts. I am using stock parts. If the motor makes it through break-in ... I'm likely going to swap out the piston for the MS460. As to whether I'll window it or not, I'm not 100% sure. If I do I'll stick with the reed setup otherwise I'll go with a standard intake.
I don't understand why not break in the 460 piston? To me it's like saying I don't care how many engines I blow up because the warranty is the most important thing... For me I'd rather start off with the better part than waste my time returning and going through all that... Does that warranty cover your lost time and push it back home for you? I did get 2 free cylinders from bicycle engines because they sent one old cylinder and one beat up... They tried twisting it around at first to avoid responsibility... Regardless I got some of the phantom cylinders on the way... They should all be the same and not returns or any other slimy games that bicycle engines is famous for... There 1 of 2 companies I have to be careful with because of how my transactions went out of thousands of other business and transactions motorized bicycle related... Just the way they half-assed fixed the phantom several times and Stihl have problems... Pun intended ;) and out of respect for the people who have dove deep into the 85 issues I'll use there experiences to make my own better which is the point of all this...

FrizzleFried

Jul 27, 2022
Welp... this motor ended up with a stripped bevel gear which threw my crank out of whack bigtime (heck, it could have been out of whack before which might have caused the bevel gear to fail). Anyway... I got about 350 miles out of it.

PHAN_BADGEAR1.jpg

I replaced the bevel gear but like I said, the crank needs to be trued and I'm getting an air leak at the seal because it's so bad.

No big deal... I have a brand new v3 here... along with a v2 piston, v3 piston, and the 460 piston... all brand new.

PHAN_PISTONDIFFERENCES.jpg

Now, can I run the 460 piston (without window) with a reed or does the reed REQUIRE a windowed piston?

It's just been too damn hot to work out in the garage...

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welp... this motor ended up with a stripped bevel gear which threw my crank out of whack bigtime (heck, it could have been out of whack before which might have caused the bevel gear to fail). Anyway... I got about 350 miles out of it.

View attachment 114369

I replaced the bevel gear but like I said, the crank needs to be trued and I'm getting an air leak at the seal because it's so bad.

No big deal... I have a brand new v3 here... along with a v2 piston, v3 piston, and the 460 piston... all brand new.

View attachment 114371

Now, can I run the 460 piston (without window) with a reed or does the reed REQUIRE a windowed piston?

It's just been too damn hot to work out in the garage...
Yes you need a windowed piston with a reed valve, it probably won't run without it.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You said the crank seal is leaking, you probably have a bad bearing. Some of the stock bearings are loose before you even run them.