My Norco

GoldenMotor.com

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Have a look at these pics and tell me if you think I'll get an 80cc kit in it. I wanted to print off a full size graphic of the engine that's posted at one of the sellers sites and do a mock up but my printer is being an ass.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the input guys...

Anyone have some engine dimensions? Like if you were describing the engine assembly as a 2D square what would it be dimensionally...

Ghost0 - I'm not sure if your affiliated with Sick Bike Parts or not but I'm guessing you may know something about their product given your sig links to them. Anyway I downloaded and just finished watching the long video they have posted and what a cool setup! Also IMHO it's a very practical setup too that makes better use of the engine and a multi speed bicycle's drive train for the days when you encounter some big hills or want to pull bike trailer filled with groceries, camping gear or whatever. Another thought I have is that since with my build I'm going to try and conceal everything as much as possible using fab'd up lexan shrouds, in frame tank, frame bags etc etc I'm thinking if I could eliminate the dead giveaway chain leading to that oh so conspicuous extra sprocket on the back wheel it would be of great benefit for one wishing to keep a low profile ;)

What do you think the chances are of stuffing one of SBP's kits in the space I have?

Cheers...

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Yes I am from SBP. The Shift Kit doesn't really change the required mounting dimensions for the engine. The two issues I see with the frame are the oversized downtube and the distance between your rear tire and seat tube. The Shift Kit almost requires that you do not drill your frame for the front mount. However since your frame is so tight some of the other front mount solutions will require you raise your engine which you have no room to do on that tight frame. We are in the process of designing a new universal front mount that will solve most of the front mount issues. You also need about 1.5 to 2 inches of space between your seat tube and rear tire depending on the tires width. If you have any more question send me a PM or an email via the website.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Thanks Ghost0...

I have the ability to machine the front engine mount off and fab up something else...and given the size of the down tube on that particular frame and the other frames I have I had thought from the beginning that I would likely have to work something out in that respect. My mind is very much made up with regards to driving the back wheel via the front chainring and at the very least I'll be wanting one of SBP's freewheel BB sets :)

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Engine arrived today, as you see I didn't get the Zoom kit I mentioned earlier...found a local deal that worked out better $$ wise so I went with it. So I guess it will fit after all, have to do some modding obviously but that's ok...I'm just glad I'll be able to use this frame :)

Cheers....

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
that is a beautiful fit! i've actually looked for a frame that size, a tight fit is the best in my opinion, and the engine is the same color as the bike!

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
that is a beautiful fit! i've actually looked for a frame that size, a tight fit is the best in my opinion, and the engine is the same color as the bike!
The frame is a 15"...

I really enjoyed riding that bike as it's low standover height fit me well and since it was light as a feather it could be flicked around easily. It's sat for about a year now and yesterday I decided to see if there was any air left in the forks..lol..to my amazement there was! I got the Rock Shox Pilot XC AIR fork set used a while back after bending the original Rock Shox Judy's in a tree vs me incident. I've got a used disc compatible wheel set picked out for it too but I do need to find one more Hayes MX4 caliper to complete the disc brake change over.

Glad you all think the engine looks at home in this frame...bike will likely remain silver as silver IMO is an inconspicuous color. With some nice fitted side panels, a rear rack and some bags I don't think it will be noticed easily unless it's heard...and that is one of the primary goals of my build.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rock,
You'll want to watch the chain angle. The engine sits very high and at the point where the chain leaves the engine (bottm side) it could come in contact with the clutch actuator housing. There are ways to remedy this and maybe it won't be an issue. You won't know until you install the rear sprocket and chain. If there is any interference you can raise the tensioner to make the chain track higher on the lower side. Good luck and that's going to be a good looking bike. Send us pictures when it's done.
Tom

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Tom I should have added in my build description that I'm going to drive the rear wheel via front\main chainrings. I'll likely use some parts that Sick Bike Parts has made available to us all such as their front freewheel. I'm not 100% sure if I'll use their cranks or if I'll go for something more elaborate like what is available here. I might go with a timing belt setup on the PTO (left) side too as I think it may help me keep my jackshaft unit more compact and out of sight and I was just looking through my Boston Gear catalog before typing this to see what they have that could be modified to suit my purpose. The engine cases might get split and be on the milling table later today or tonight as I want to machine the front down tube mount off since it won't fit my tube and a plus to machining it off will be that I'll have a little more wiggle\positioning space in the triangle which might come in handy when it comes time to shoe horn in a carburetor. I'll be using a Walbro 2 needle type carb as it's about as compact as you'll get for engines in our size class...already ordered this one and when it arrives I'll get started on fabricating a manifold for it.

lots of work to do...but half the fun is in the building right :D

---------------------------
Moderator advice needed...

Maybe this thread should now be moved to, or continued in, one of the build forums?

---------------------------

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Just a little update...

I really wanted to get the cases split so I could start work on reconfiguring the front mount but I've been stymied by not having a puller that will work on the clutch side. I got the drive sprocket and magnet off with my puller but I've got nothing that will work on the clutch side so I ordered the proper one, hopefully it will be here by mid week.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sounds like an ambitious project. Can't wait to see some closeups of the mechanics.
Hang in there, Rock. Looks like fun for the coming summer.
Tom