I had considered building a new motorized bike for some time, but it was always put on the back burner since I still had a perfectly good 48cc one that I built last year. As fate would have it, the crank case on my first build cracked. (Going to rebuild it this winter). A perfect opportunity to upgrade to a larger engine! I ordered a new 66cc kit from Amazon, and went looking for a new bike. I found a Murray ladies model beach cruiser at my local Goodwill for $30 bucks, and decided to use it as my doner bike.
I had been recently looking at AtomicZombie's "Granny's Nightmare" project, and wanted to do something kind of similar. Take a old-school cruiser, chop the **** out of it, and make it bad to the bone. It took me about 2 months, working on it in my spare time to get to where I am now. It's almost finished... I am still deciding on whether or not to attach the rear fender. If I do, it will be welded securely high above the tire (like the front one). The bottom of the seat needs covered, to hide the staples. I'm also planning to fabricate coustom motor mounts. The tubing on the bike isn't the best fit for the motor. It's on there securely, but I'm getting a lot of vibrations at speeds 25mph and higher. I also think I'm going to make coustom gas tank mounts as well. Again, it's on there securely, but the tubing size allows me to move it if I apply enough pressure. I still have a lot of sanding to do on parts of the frame. Some of my weld's aren't the prettiest, and will need some TLC. (I only have a cheap flux core welder). Other than that, I'm ready for paint. So far it's running & riding great. Im getting excited getting closer and closer to finishing and wanted to show it off, it's really turning into something very unique. I would love some feedback, I've never built anything quite like this before and welcome criticism, other ideas, or concerns before I paint it. I put very little money into this project, almost everything is old scrap that I recycled. The seat is a skateboard that I cut and upholstered. The front forks are 3/4" black pipe I had lying around. There are pieces of other bikes, a mini-bike, even parts from an old broken wood lathe stand. Literally, everything is scrap metal that's been repurposed. All in all, a very fun project. The first picture is the completed bike so far, the second is the donar bike before I chopped it. I'm also including a few pics of the construction process. (Sorry I wish I was a better photographer.) Thanks for reading!
Thank you, and yes. The front tire stays on the ground most of the time, but if I really hammer on it taking off from a dead stop, or get on too much of an incline it starts climbing. (Especially since I added the new head) I've been brainstorming ways to correct this, so far I've just not been sitting not all the way back on the seat and that's helped, but isn't a real solution. A weelie bar is an excellent idea, I think ill do just that, thank you.