My Kill Switch has a Black and Yellow Wire??

GoldenMotor.com

jnanasakti

May 21, 2008
I am just installing my first bike engine. I have the "80cc" chinese made engine which is popularly available. Thing is, my kill switch has a Black and Yellow wire coming from it; do I connect both of these wires to the White wire coming from the engine, or just one of them?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Aakash

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Connect black to black... the other to the blue wire.... The white wire is not used... if it has a raw end trim that off so it doesn't accidentally ground and shut you down. It is for accessories like Norman's lights ect,

jnanasakti

May 21, 2008
I'm not sure if that makes sense. I think you might be referring to the CDI Ignition Coil; that , per the instructions is Black to Black, Blue to Blue.

However the Kill Switch is supposedly to be connected to the White Wire coming from the Engine: "Attach kill switch wire to white wire coming from engine. This will ground ignition and stop the engine when the red button on the kill switch is activated."

Does this make sense?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thats up to you, but my white wire has hung loose since I built the bike over half a year ago.

The kill switch just grounds out the magneto either wire will do that but mostly I have always heard the blue wire and black wire on both the cdi and the kill switch.

jnanasakti

May 21, 2008
What did your instructions say?
Well first my instructions say that 2 kills switches are provided, but that I only need to use one. That is not the case, I have only 1 kill switch which is part of the right handlebar throttle assembly. It is a yellow button on the throttle which has a Yellow and Black wire coming from it.

The instructions are as follows:

---Start Instructions---

A) Mount CD ignition coil on bike frame, close enough to attach coil wire to spark plug. Mount as far away from
exhaust pipe as possible to avoid heat damage to semiconductors in CDI module.

B) Attach CD ignition coil wires to same identical color coded wires coming from engine.

C) Install Engine Kill Switch on the handlebar or use kill switch on left hand grip. Only one is needed, but 2 are
supplied. Attach kill switch wire to white wire coming from engine. This will ground ignition and stop the engine
when the red button on the kill switch is activated.

D) Route all wires away from engine exhaust heat. Secure wires with a plastic tie straps.

*!WARNING! Operation of engine without stop or kill switch installed could result in personal injury if
an emergency stop is required! The only alternate non recommended way of killing the engine is by releasing the
clutch lever with bike brakes on and engine at slowest idle. YOU SHOULD CONNECT THE KILL SWITCH WIRE
TO "BLUE " COLOR WIRE AND 6-VOLT HEAD LIGHT TO WHITE &BLACK !

---End Instructions---

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
leave the white wire alone unless you want lights, then again you can use it for the kill switch if you want to. the kill switch will work by hooking one wire to the black wires and the other wire from the kill switch to the other set of wires it don't matter on the colors on the kill switch.
On the cdi and coil one set of wires is black and the other is either blue or green but these will tie together as they are the hot wires for the ignition.
Norman

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Norman just explained what I said. just hook the kill switch into you cdi circuit. It's the easiest way to do it and you have your white wire left. It is hot for a light tail light or coffee maker. Okay the coffee maker was an exaggeration.

Tj Bunch

Jun 18, 2008
Well I like my Coffee hot on the way to work......But at the end of his instructions it says hook it to blue wire and use white for 6v head lamp.......Mine had no destructions so i'm just going with waht everyone else does.

Greg

Last edited:

jnanasakti

May 21, 2008
Connect black to black... the other to the blue wire.... The white wire is not used... if it has a raw end trim that off so it doesn't accidentally ground and shut you down. It is for accessories like Norman's lights ect,
Connected the black to black and other (yellow) to the blue...works perfect. Just got by bike up and running. Awesome. Still working on a design for the coffee maker though, possibly spring mounted on the rear rack.

John-Forrest

Jul 18, 2008
The above information is very contradictory. I have same problem. I got 80 cc engine and have no idea what to do with yellow wire and black wire coming from throttle.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here is a wiring diagram that might help.
There has been a lot of discussion about using the white wire as a kill circuit. Grounding the white wire will kill the engine and so will jumpering the black and blue together. Either method seems to work with no adverse effects. The diagram below shows the method suggested by several kit suppliers. Some kits have different color wires from the kill button. Wire color is not important. The kill switch (button) is a simple normally open contact that is closed when you push it.
Good luck.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

twacorp

Jan 15, 2013
sydney
i own one the same and what i did was hook either one of the yellow and black wires up to the white wire and the other up to an earth point on the bike .i found a spair nut in my shed and a spade connector and earthed it by hooking it up to excess thread on the motor mounting screw.auflg

twacorp

Jan 15, 2013
sydney
hook your yellow or black wire (either dosent matter) to your white wire and hook the other wire to an earthing point on the bike

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I would avoid using the white wire to kill the motor. Shorting the coil like that cannot be very good for it. I'd use the black and blue ...(which I always do)
The white wire is the coil output for lights, etc. Shorting it with the kill switch loads it for no good reason and may cause problems or burnout.

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
Shorting the white wire to black is one of the worst things you can do to your magneto other than soak it in water. I have run 3 magnetos. First: cdi to blue and black, no light, kill switch to white and black. lasted 250 miles. Second: cdi to blue and black, led light to white and black, kill switch to blue and black. lasted 700 miles. third: cdi to blue and black, no light, kill switch to blue and black, white wire cut. 4000 miles so far and running strong!!! My best guess based on experience is that when the coil on the white wire is used, it somehow shorts into the blue wire's coil and causes damage that slowly builds up. Because the white-black and blue-black coils aren't connected in parallel, so they shouldn't take power from each other. Just cut the white wire off at the terminal and leave it at that. I gave my advice to a friend who was burning magnetos at about 1 per week and he took it, he's gone 6 months on a single one, after cutting the white wire. If you want lights, buy the ebay magneto add-on that is built for lights. I just carry a small 12-volt battery.
Another thing, the best option for killing a bike is to get an on/off switch and put it between the magneto blue wire and the cdi blue wire. That way you don't have to short anything to kill it. I personally just "drop the clutch" to kill mine.