My first build

GoldenMotor.com

slappy

Jun 8, 2016
United Kingdom
Hello all

I am new to the forum and this is my first build, I have always loved early Indians and have quite a few old bikes and old cars, I got to ride an electric Grey Ghost a couple of years back and was hocked, a couple of weekends back I was at a hot rod show and bumped into a friend who had his bike in front of his trade stand, and after a bit of a chat it turned out he had a spare frame so a hand shake was made and I am now a proud owner of a Motobecane MB1 1920's frame, I have a long way to go

slappy

Jun 8, 2016
United Kingdom
Thanks guys I have already looked at quite a few threads and will be asking lots of questions , I am going to be leaving the frame as it is and treating it to a coat of ankur wax I managed to get hold of a tank from France next item on my list is a pair of old girder forks

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Welcome & nice finds on the frame and tank. This is one of my all time favorite mopeds. Will you be going full restoration with the 175 cc 2 cycle, belt drive & pedal start for power?

The Motobecane MB-1 is relatively rare stateside yet I see them offered at auction often in the UK & on the continent. They really are quite elegant, one of the few mopeds with pretty fenders & the original tank is a thing of beauty & a joy forever!

Lacing a Motobecane drum brake to the front wheel might be prudent if this is to be a "rider" as well.

I look forward to watching your progress & predict a wonderful outcome.

Rick C.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The logical engine from an English supply point of view is a 98 Villiers, but a French 2 stroke shouldn't be difficult, nor even a Sachs or ILO from the 1930s.

slappy

Jun 8, 2016
United Kingdom
Welcome & nice finds on the frame and tank. This is one of my all time favorite mopeds. Will you be going full restoration with the 175 cc 2 cycle, belt drive & pedal start for power?

The Motobecane MB-1 is relatively rare stateside yet I see them offered at auction often in the UK & on the continent. They really are quite elegant, one of the few mopeds with pretty fenders & the original tank is a thing of beauty & a joy forever!

Lacing a Motobecane drum brake to the front wheel might be prudent if this is to be a "rider" as well.

I look forward to watching your progress & predict a wonderful outcome.

Rick C.
Hi Rick

I will be trying to keep the to period look and yes it will be belt driven my next item on my list will be some period girder forks hopefully in green or I will repaint them and age them

slappy

Jun 8, 2016
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum. Nice frame to start with. What are you planning to use for a motor or have you gotten that far yet?

Steve.
Hi Fast Eddy

I would like to use an original engine if possible but it's finding a good one , if not it will be something of that era that I can fit without changing the frame

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
What are you doing about the forks? Autojumbles have lots, but getting them right is difficult. Mopedland will have pressed steel autocycle that will do the job, also Yeomans at Belbroughton have 2 days worth of sheds with all sorts of kit. I mean ALL sorts of kit. Scootamota tank next to 1970s electric scooter next to the only surviving Gurnley-Thrunge, that sort of place.

slappy

Jun 8, 2016
United Kingdom
What are you doing about the forks? Autojumbles have lots, but getting them right is difficult. Mopedland will have pressed steel autocycle that will do the job, also Yeomans at Belbroughton have 2 days worth of sheds with all sorts of kit. I mean ALL sorts of kit. Scootamota tank next to 1970s electric scooter next to the only surviving Gurnley-Thrunge, that sort of place.
Hi Ludwig I am after some Old Girder forks springer or Leaf sprung an old pair to go with the rest of the bike.

I thought I would stick a picture on of the guys bike who is responsible for me starting this build and who sold me the frame

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Thinking about it, an unrestored James ML or similar would supply almost all of the bits you need and leave you a spare frame to do a Mk2 with.

Here is a very fine Francis Barnett Snipe

Last edited:

slappy

Jun 8, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi all so I eventually got so time to go out in the garage tonight and thought I would do a very quick mock up, the original tank tided in place with a couple of bits of string and some later parts off of one of my cruisers just to give me an idea of sizes, I am only short so it will work fine with 26 inch rim

Last edited: