My First Board Tracker Project

GoldenMotor.com

Lander Sartin

Mar 3, 2020
Hey all,
Pretty new around here but you gotta start somewhere I guess!
I've decided it's time I make my first build, and due to lack of money trying to make it look as good as possible for as cheap as possible. I have decided my MB will be based around the Schwinn panther flat bar frame copy used by a lot of people on this forum. This I have already ordered , however I have nothing else set in stone. 80cc China engines seem common but I don't know much about them. I've seen kits for disk brakes but again, have no idea how reliable they are.

I also have attached a picture of a Facebook marketplace bike that might be good to steal parts from.

Would love anyone's input.

Lander

Attachments

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Hey Lander,

Big tick on the frame/tank choice for your boardie project. Thumbs down on that parts bike though. There's nowt on there to donate to the project's frame save the wheels/tyres - if they're even usable. Motorized builds generally utilize 26" wheels with heavier gauge 11/12 gauge spokes. Expecting to pedal a motorized bicycle very much defeats the object, so your boardie will be a single speeder, therefore a multi speed cassette style rear hub needn't be on your shopping list. Maybe a front disc brake - not my preferred choice on a period style vintage bike - is something you'd want. Sturmey Archer do a very nice front drum brake worth considering.

Do the job right and bin the rear wheel's rag joint type sprocket fixings supplied in every bicycle motorizing kit and opt instead for a rear coaster braked wheel onto which you should definitely fit a cnc'd rear sprocket hub adapter. That's one of the best decisions I'm happy to make on your behalf. Thank me later.

Other than having reservations about how tight you can screw down the budget on this type of project and still end up with something you'll be pleased to own/ride, I'm looking forward to following along with this build thread. If you're anything like me, once you take delivery of the Panther frame/tank, you'll realize it's quality deserves the kind of build that doesn't rely on using someone else's cast off bits and pieces. Start budgeting.

Lots to learn about as you go. At the end of the day, nothing beats looking at your ride and saying, "I built that"

Lander Sartin

Mar 3, 2020
Pete,

Thank you for your input! I appreciate the information and have now added a couple parts to my list and trashed the parts bike idea.

I know this is a little early as I haven't even got my frame yet, but how did you go about painting?

Lander

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Starting off with a new, bare metal tank and frame makes painting a build like this so much easier than having to tear down, strip, de-gunk and probably de-rust a used donor frame. Little or no masking involved. However, other than deciding on the colour, I wouldn't recommend doing any frame painting till you've built the bike, enjoyed some test riding and carried out the necessary modifications or adjustments you'll definitely have to make. There's plenty scope for scratching/scuffing a new paint job during the build process. Build-up the bike first, then tear it apart for painting. It'll only take an hour to unbolt everything - time well spent.

As far as the actual painting itself is concerned, I exclusively use aerosol paints (rattle cans) for both the primer and top coats. To avoid runs and the dreaded 'orange peel' look, never aim for full coverage using a single coat of paint. 3-4 light coats with light rubbing-down between coats using 1200 grit wet'n'dry paper - used wet with a drop of washing-up liquid soap added to the bowl of water - assures a smooth, shiny finish. I also tend to seal the finished top coat, along with any added decals or pin-striping, beneath sprayed clear lacquer. My debut build, the Indian boardie tribute, and my other bikes were painted in my garage. Parts such as the frame, tank and dismantled fork components were hung on bent wires suspended from the rafters. For already assembled wheel rims, I mask spokes using split drinking straws (I now know you can buy plastic spoke covers - doh!).

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
Is there a brand of paint you like Pete? I'm using Rustoleum and not happy. With light coats, color sanding, and heat soaking the can in hot water until the label got loose I was able to lay down a lovely coat.

DSCF0907.JPG

But it's just too soft. This led to baking experiments and 150 degrees for a couple of days did make a difference in that I can dry sand it and get powder instead of a piece of gummed up sandpaper. It's as hard as it's gonna get.

But it's still too soft.

Had it on the floor when I bumped it over with my leg. It took a 45 degree tip entirely under it's own weight, landed against a hard plastic handle, and did this.

DSCF0912.JPG

It chipped right back to the Rustoleum Self Etching primer so I'm OK with those cans. But I won't buy another can of their enamel ever again.

Is there some specific brand you like?

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Rust oleum is good but the downside is it needs weeks to really dry and bond. I too had problems. Should also light sand primer before top coats. There are easier options for sure.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Rustoleum is a well known paint brand I've heard of and is available in the UK but I've never personally used it. My Indian boardie tribute's red paint was purchased at a local tractor sales/repair shop near to me in Northumberland and I seem to recall it was a standard International Harvester colour. The shop sold a very limited palette of colours. They sold UPOL brand red oxide, grey or white primer and for a top coat choice I was limited to purchasing red, black or silver, presumably colours used on tractors they sold. Only a slightly better colour choice than Henry Ford offered back in the day. Luckily, the red was perfect for my needs.
Since then, I stick with colours from the RAL palette range and purchase my paints via eBay from a company in Ireland who offer a fast turnround and mix gloss, satin or matt auto colours to order. They come in UPOL aerosol cans - so presumably that's the brand. Given the name, I'm guessing it's safe to assume UPOL is a polyurethane paint. Normally I spray it straight from the can but for detail work or touch-up I also spray some into my airbrush jar and thin it with cellulose (lacquer) thinners for airbrushing.
Like you, I've found it takes a couple of weeks for paint to cure fully. None of my bikes remain chip free. I have to sigh when I watch hot rod related programs on TV when they do a full respray up against a seemingly impossible tight deadline (we know it's false jeopardy, just to make the program seem more exciting) and then wet sand & buff the paint two hours after baking it on. Then mask it for striping. Yeah, I know if I did that I'd ruin a perfectly good paint job.
I suppose my best tip for a good paint finish is the drop of liquid soap added to the bowl of water at the wet sanding stage. Oh, and I prefer to go with USED 1200 grit wet-n-dry paper to eliminate the risk of scratching/lifting the paint. I never throw my used wet-n-dry sheets away..

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
Lander, I hope you don't mind the hijack, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone with my Rustoleum experience.

When I was a kid lacquers were still available and you really could be sanding for the next coat in under a half hour. Smelled good too!:)

Lander Sartin

Mar 3, 2020
Any knowledge is good knowledge, I learned a lot about paint!

A little update, I obtained the Schwinn copy frame and gas tank and as Pete predicted I have realized the quality of what I'm dealing with... I don't want to mess this up, so this build may end up being a lot slower due to lack of cash but I want it done and done right. Good news is my friend wants me to help him build something board-trackerey so I might post a few pictures of that build.
Any discussion helps me so I'm glad y'all are here!
Thanks,
Lander

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Good news on the frame/tank delivery. No going back now, Lander!
The bare metal look always works a treat on vintage style boardie bikes. Food for thought - and it'll definitely save you some time and help with your budget. For inspiration, check out Rick's (Indian22) latest e-powered V-twin build in his Old Guys Simplex thread.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Lander I'm following along on your build and see you've found some excellent advice and are acting on it. $$ are a part of this but Pete got it right & you recognize you are invested enough that it makes good sense to do it right as dollars are available. Helping others is always noble & in this case of helping your friend build a bike you benefit from hands on experience. The forum is here to help and encourage. Those who've built bikes for years can help you avoid common mistakes made in the past and each one of these mistakes avoided save you time and money, also it's easy to become discouraged along the way. We've been there and done that. Share photos and reveal plans prior to spending your money on parts or fabrication that others can warn you off of. We each don't know it all but as a complete forum we've encountered a good bit of it.

Both Pete and myself have used the exact frame and tank you've selected to build motorized bikes & though both of us selected board track style and 66cc China girl motors they are both quite distinct. I really like the way they both turned out his a beautiful red and mine definitely not. So I'm looking forward to yours putting us to shame. I love a great build!

Enjoy the build experience and ride it as much as possible while dreaming of the next one.

Rick C.

excellscior Schwinn 2.jpg

Lander Sartin

Mar 3, 2020
Hello all,

Some long overdue updates!
I have taken the Schwinn Panther frame, and put it aside momentarily. I think I must learn a bit and make some more money before I get there. That frame begs quality and I think if I were to attempt now I couldn't give it what it deserves. I am a high school student (shhhh), so despite my (now cancelled) job I don't have a lot of cash to spend.

Regardless, I am still in love with the Board tracker look and am trying to recreate this in my current build. I found a some old cruiser bike that seemed solid and came with all the stuff I needed to get started. 12 gauge rims most importantly. I will try to attach a picture but for some reason it doesn't like to let me do that. I bought a 66cc china girl which has given me an absolute headache to get running right. I had to replace the CDI and spark plug, but from what I've read these Chinese engine kits aren't the best in their quality. Regardless I'm learning and having fun and maybe when this pandemic is all over I can treat that schwinn frame with the respect it deserves.

Lander

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Hey Lander,
Sorry to hear your student job news. Bummer. None of us oldies have anything good to say about advancing years - but I for one as a retiree am glad to be spared the stress of having to make a living during this Covid 19 outbreak. Hang in there.
I've read elsewhere on the forum that folks are spending their 'stimulus package' on bike stuff, so I guess everyone has a different idea when it comes to prioritizing things. lol. I'm in the UK, so no stimulus package heading my way anytime soon...
Glad you are making headway by gaining experience and having fun working on your recently acquired China Girl motor.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Well phrased Pete. Teens like Lander who work, go to school and lost both job and school for this term should have been included in the initial packages, but perhaps this will be rectified in the next round of legislative aid. Relatively quick response by the government (oxymoron) to the mandatory layoffs, resulted in some not getting what would be a big help and others not in any need getting paid (myself) so there's that.

If we needed our teens to fight a war the legislature would dang sure call them up to fight, but till then they are considered children even when they work. Sorry, flashback to the sixties......

Hang in there Lander with both builds & life.

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy