My Bike: The "Secret Patrol"

GoldenMotor.com

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
Hi all, I haven;t posted much lately but have been riding lots, and just re-did my tank the other day, along with a tweak or two to my bike. I think it didn't come out half bad, let me know what you think!

Short version of the process, minus mistakes along the way:

1) Removed tank
2) Sanded with 180 grit paper
3) Wet sanded with 300 grit sanding sponge thing
4) 2 coats Krylon primer, white (rattlecan)
5) 3 coats ultra flat black Krylon
6) Custom GF designed stencil applied with shelf contact paper
7) Applied more white primer with kitchen sponge for textured finish
8) Re-installed tank
9) Installed front basket
10) Marveled at my creative genius

Tank Flat blacked, and with stencil in place:

Tank Close up, on bike:

Complete bike shot:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Man, thats pretty work. A local Army Navy surplus here has olive drab in rattle cams. Been thinking about a similar build.

How did you bend the seat post?

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
Thanks Dan, The post is a standard old school BMX seatpost with a layback bend to it. You can get them from any bike shop they are among the cheapest things you can buy for a post. Nice though as it makes for a lot more room in the cockpit. I'm not a big guy but these bikes often seem cramped to me because so many cruisers are made to fit almost anyone, and necessarily fall short of optimum proportions.

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
I did last night! It's more fun than ever to go on night missions on my bike. It's so sweet riding after midnight on the streets of Seattle, it's like you own the road! During the day it's dicey out there at best, even on my 650cc Yamaha..

Last night at 1 a.m. I rode home from visiting a buddy, and took side streets and weird routes the whole way home and had a blast!

Hot Dog Piggy Tails

Sep 11, 2008
Kelso Wa
Thats funny I paint my motored bikes Olive green with the post 43' airforce emblem on the tank. Looks marvelous Heh heh. Peace. I do the other paths at night Ive run across some stumblers Hookers Pigs and mean dogs ha ha. lil bstrd. Cool fun though. Im glad your really enjoying that bad boy hey is that a FELT. Looks bad dude Baaad

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
Oh yeah the springers are supposed to add major comfort in the ride. a little Chrome never hurt either ha ha
No doubt about it sometimes I miss my Monarch Replica springers for those unexpected jolts! Fact is though the front brakes more than make up for the lack of suspension, and I stay alert, stay alive and enjoy the good ride of my Brooks saddle, it's amazing how much that thing smooths things out for me.

Now, let's see some pics of your bikes Hot dog!

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
Thanks UncleKudzu, I love this saddle. It's only been this season but the saddle has been comfy from day one, and now is noticeably softer than new and I believe well on it's way to completely broken in. Even as it was when I got it I felt it was amazingly comfy. The third spring up front provides amazing isolation of shock and gives the saddle an ability to "float" in all directions in a way no other suspension or gel saddle I've ever used has been able to approximate. I look forward to having this saddle for many years to come. The model is the B73, and it's available through Brooks through most Independent Bike Dealers. They can't just open up the Quality Bike Products catalog and order it though, they have to go through the US Distributor for Brooks, Highway 2. Look for shops that carry Selle Royal and Fizik saddles, and Continental tires. They are other lines generally sold through Highway 2 distribution and are a good indication you are dealing with a shop that can get you access to the wide variety of Brooks product offerings you may not see commonly in other shops. The cost of the nicer saddles alone will prevent most shops from keeping them around on the floor however, so be prepared to read up on your choice carefully, the website has measurements, and be confident in the choice you make, as they will likely have to order it in specially for you. As you know though, Brooks saddles are amazing and well worth a little break-in time because of how they reward you with looks for days, and unparalleled comfort.

Here's a link to the saddle on Brooks' site:

Brooks England Shop online

And check out these crazy heavy duty models. I am planning a build around one of these and a MTB downhill suspension fork soon:

Brooks England Shop online

Happy Riding!