Mounting plate doesn’t fit the frame.. what are my options?

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The mounting plate needs to be securely mounted to both frame tubes!!

What will happen if you lower it all the way? Will it touch the chain sprocket??

chapspeterson

Mar 2, 2019
The mounting plate needs to be securely mounted to both frame tubes!!

What will happen if you lower it all the way? Will it touch the chain sprocket??
Yeah unfortunately it will be touching the chain sprocket. I went to Home Depot and purchased some rubber fittings for both sides, as well as longer bolts to secure it. I will provide pictures once I get home, should that work?

Also, thank you for replying to my posts. This is the first time I’ve ever attempted building anything like this and I know I’ve asked dumb questions. It is really appreciated.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Unfortunately, using rubber is only going to cause you more headaches!
Your best bet is going to be to use some metal as a spacer in the front.

It needs to be strong & solid!! (otherwise your engine is going to start leaning to the side & or vibrate loose). :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

chapspeterson

Mar 2, 2019
Your best best is going to be to use some metal as a spacer in the front.

It needs to be strong & solid!! (otherwise your engine is going to start leaning to the side & or vibrate loose). :(
Okay, what type of metal should I buy and where can I get it?

chapspeterson

Mar 2, 2019
Your best best is going to be to use some metal as a spacer in the front.

I cut rubber tank gaskets and gorilla glued them on each side. So you don’t think this will stabilize the engine even with the bolt supports on both sides?
If I need to get metal (which I’m assuming I will need to and remove these), where can I purchase them and what kind should I get?

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Mr. Peterson, I'm a Peterson too. (Norwegian)
#1 post of your hand supporting the engine platform looks to me like lowering it will not engage the pedal chain wheel. But if not two options are still available. Scalloping the chain wheel side flange of the engine mount leaving at least 1/4" remaining for stiffness.
Or using a round bastard file also known as rat tail files remove metal in the horizontal slots. There also leave a 3/16" web.
Every thing VMB said about spacers is gold standard in bike building.
Tom from Rubicon

Reactions: Venice Motor Bikes