Mounting A 44T HT Bicycle Engine Sprocket On The Front Wheel

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Has anyone mounted a Happy Time sprocket onto the front wheel? It's for a Raleigh 7-speed cruiser.

I have a dual-engined bike named "Mr. Hyde" and I want to run chain drive on front and rear wheels.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Re: Mounting A 44T HT Sprocket On The Front Wheel

I don't see why mounting a HT sprocket on the front would bother...

I assume you'll be mounting your engine above the tire?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

It does seem like it should work. I just wondered if anyone did in fact mount the sprocket onto the front wheel. I have a HD WHEELMAN rim with 12g spokes up front to mount the 44T sprocket onto.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

It would work just as well as mounting one to the rear wheel, maybe a tiny bit harder to center.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca

Make sure you match up the rpms on the motor, I'm assuming you'll be using one throttle.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Okay Bikeguy, I'll try to mount it myself.

ebmvegan, I'll be using two separate throttle controls. No need to synchronize engines rpm. "Mr. Hyde" runs well with a 1.25" friction roller up front and a 1.50 friction roller in the rear. No problems whatsoever with these independent engines. The front engine supplies the low end and midrange, and the rear engine supplies a little low end, some midrange and all of the top end. At 25mph, the front engine reverts to idle while the rear engine screams to redline.

I'll be installing a 10-tooth jackshaft/44-tooth(4.4:1) front sprocket up front, and the rear wheel has a 36-tooth(3.6:1) rear sprocket. So the front will peak at maybe 30 mph and the rear engine takes over to redline at 38mph.

Later on, I might use a 12-tooth jackshaft/44-tooth sprocket, which would factor down to the same as a 10-tooth/37-tooth drive(3.67:1)

Then both engines will supply identical power throughout all ranges, even at redline.

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT

I have seen Cushman scooters from back in the dayz, being the late 60's when those wide beast were used mostly in industrial plants and ship yards.
They had the engine mounted directly over the front wheels and had a cargo bed to haul heavy loads and parts delivery for the yards. Very reliable in moving loads, front wheel drive proved its worth with Cadilac back in the late 50's. Worth the time to set up and enjoy.:D

Maximo

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Well, I trial fitted the sprocket onto my stock front wheel. It won't fit because the hub's axle register is way too small. Maybe the rear coaster hub and wheel would fit the fork, or a front disc brake hub with sprocket adaptor. Another option would be a custom sprocket with smaller axle register(hole).

Nah, I'll just keep the front friction drive, spend a few bucks and fabricate the engine lift. My main concern is to eliminate resistance drag from the friction roller, especially when front engine is idling and rear engine is screaming.

Sorry Motormaker, no pics right now.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA

HI,

FWIW you can buy a disc hub for the front wheel and mount a sprocket directly to that (our sprockets come predrilled for disc hub mounting) or you can drill out your stock 44T to fit the hub.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew