Motorized bicycle in Malaysia

GoldenMotor.com

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Hi Everyone,

I had build my motorized bicycle from a kit I bought from ZBox. There were some really big challenges building this bike. Difficult to get the frame, then the suspension fork with disc brake with 1" steer tube. But after a month, I was able to 'complete' it. I do still have plans to further modify it, and it would be in my next post. Don't have the $$$ yet, but I plan to go to Shaft-drive/ chainless motorized bicycle.

I used my motorized bicycle going to work, about 20 kms away, rain or shine, so I really need the disc brakes, caliper is just useless in wet conditions. Takes me about 45 minutes to get there. I build the bike more for necessity, because the public transport is so poor here. Takes 2 hours if I use bus and train, because the bus needs to go all the way to the city for me to get the train. Taxis and cabbies? Forget it! they're the worst here. And if I have a car, there's road tax and license to worry about, renewing every year.

I burned my first engine after 4 months of operation of daily use. I think it was the intake gasket leak and using too much synthetic oil. I had to pedal 10 kms back home with a heavy bicycle, took me about an hour, with frequent breaks to energize. I'm on my second engine and hoping that this could at least last a year. I also have a Goped Riot, trying to study and combine the Goped engine into my motorized bicycle using the chain drive with jack shaft.

Using my motorized bicycle on the road do make a lot of heads turn, and it's a great conversation subject. And I think I'm the only who has something like this here. One time there was this one guy who took a photo of me while he was driving his car and made a sign of thumbs up. It was heavy traffic, so I was able to overtook him, and give a thumbs up sign back. (^)

It's great to be here.

Thanks... :ride2:

Attachments

Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Welcome, sometimes in this country we get aggravated because we can't find this part or that part, we need to be reminded that it could be a lot harder. Nice bike, send more photos when you can. Happy Trails Walter F.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Welcome to the forum Technocyclist. You'll learn alot from these guys on this board about these motors. You mentioned a shaft drive. Is that like some of the motorcycle kind of shaft drives?
Walter's right...you do have a nice bike and I like your front suspension.

Technocyclist

Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Welcome to the forum Technocyclist. You'll learn alot from these guys on this board about these motors. You mentioned a shaft drive. Is that like some of the motorcycle kind of shaft drives?
Walter's right...you do have a nice bike and I like your front suspension.
Thanks, I'm also using a suspension seat post, combined with a suspension seat. Yup, you heard it right...shaft drive, just like the ones you see in BMW Big Bikes. I'll attach a picture of it. But I don't think it's easy to get. It uses an 8 speed Shimano Internal Gear hub. I might have to modify the spindle on the bracket for the jack shaft I planned to use. For the benefit of those interested on shaft drives, here's the link: Taiwan Sussex chainless transmission bicycle manufacturer:asia

Then the engine, I plan change it to a 48 cc 2 cylinder engine. But this could take months for me to build.

Attachments

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Is that a model airplane engine, that two cylinder and shaft drive on a bike and you would have a mini-BMW motorcycle. That is too cute!!!! Happy Trails Walter F.

Technocyclist

Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Is that a model airplane engine, that two cylinder and shaft drive on a bike and you would have a mini-BMW motorcycle. That is too cute!!!! Happy Trails Walter F.
Yup, BMW stands for 'Bicycle Motor Works', lol rotfl

It's an RC airplane engine 4.2 HP 9,000 rpm. I actually have 3 problems with this:
1) Engine mounting
2) Centrifugal clutch with a Reduction gearbox
3) Jack shaft assembly to drive the front sprocket.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

iantf

Jun 30, 2010
singapore
Hi Everyone,

I had build my motorized bicycle from a kit I bought from ZBox. There were some really big challenges building this bike. Difficult to get the frame, then the suspension fork with disc brake with 1" steer tube. But after a month, I was able to 'complete' it. I do still have plans to further modify it, and it would be in my next post. Don't have the $$$ yet, but I plan to go to Shaft-drive/ chainless motorized bicycle.

I used my motorized bicycle going to work, about 20 kms away, rain or shine, so I really need the disc brakes, caliper is just useless in wet conditions. Takes me about 45 minutes to get there. I build the bike more for necessity, because the public transport is so poor here. Takes 2 hours if I use bus and train, because the bus needs to go all the way to the city for me to get the train. Taxis and cabbies? Forget it! they're the worst here. And if I have a car, there's road tax and license to worry about, renewing every year.

I burned my first engine after 4 months of operation of daily use. I think it was the intake gasket leak and using too much synthetic oil. I had to pedal 10 kms back home with a heavy bicycle, took me about an hour, with frequent breaks to energize. I'm on my second engine and hoping that this could at least last a year. I also have a Goped Riot, trying to study and combine the Goped engine into my motorized bicycle using the chain drive with jack shaft.

Using my motorized bicycle on the road do make a lot of heads turn, and it's a great conversation subject. And I think I'm the only who has something like this here. One time there was this one guy who took a photo of me while he was driving his car and made a sign of thumbs up. It was heavy traffic, so I was able to overtook him, and give a thumbs up sign back. (^)

It's great to be here.

Thanks... :ride2:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi where did u get yiour kit from i am looking for the centrigugal clutch and a 4 stroke engine can please help do u have any contact in JB that would be good i am from singapore

my email [email protected] hope to hear from u soon urgent

Technocyclist

Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Hi looking for a centrigugal clutch and a 4 stroke engine can please help do u have any contact in JB that would be good i am from singapore

my email [email protected] hope to hear from u soon urgent
Try this site:
doye's Site

but not really sure if it's still active.

Just sent you a PM on some good sources of engine kits.

I've seen a Moped around Singapore but not a Motorized bicycle. The moped I think was only 30cc engine.

Hope you'll get all this sorted out and start riding.

Cheers... :D

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I have worked in both Kula lampur and singapore. In Lampur it was interesting. When the stop light changed it was like a motorbike rally, hundreds of motor bikes taking off together. Then the car would outpace them, until the next light and it became a rally all over again.

The people there were great to work with. They had bicycle/ MB roads running next to but seperated from the main road. Not many MB's using it though, guess they just wanted to screw up the automobile traffic.
I rember thinking, with millions of MB's there must be loads of good MB mechanics living here.

Last edited: