Motorised bicycle from generator motor?

GoldenMotor.com

Petrol Addict

Sep 12, 2018
ive had my 66cc kit for about 3 months and i want to try something that isn't just from a kit. it seems the best price to performance engines in my area are in lawnmowers or generators (whipper snippers have best price to performance but to small :p). the issue with a lawnmower is the vertical to horizontal conversion which i'm happy to try but if a generator motor is suitable i'll just use that. also can you do anything to these engine to reduce the fuel consumption so that they don't guzzle insane amounts of fuel? like adjusting carby. im mainly going for a bigger CC so that it doesnt have that high pitched whine we've all come to know xD.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi PA, welcome!

I been thinking about using the very easy, cheap and would look cool vertical shaft lawn mowers for years. Would be so cool. And 4 smoke. Now weed whacker whine.

Many, many ways it could be done. A plate driving a wheel that could double as a gear ratio changer. A worm gear. Already mass produced for lawn equipment.

OR, a really funky, multiple, belt slowly altering orientation.....

There are threads here on great successes and some spectacular failures, LoL. No bout a doubt it, you can do it.

I find if I let my mind wander when first waking up or going to sleep, I can see thees thing/ideas flow like water. Your imagination is the only limit.

Go threw some threads using your ideas as key words. Some one will have tried it and will save you some hair pulling.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
All in all harbor freight predator engine, with coupons, less then a $100,

Generator engine my have special shafts, and hookup, so check that out, same with water pump engines.

Lawn mower engine, measure twice has turned one on its side, and made it work, also not seen here is a twisted belt. Cannanball2 I think has done one sorta on a Maytag build. Or as Dan said lot of old lawn mowers had right angle gear boxes on the beck, to run the blades. Also talk about using right angle grinder gear box, never seen it cone about though. LOL

Go back and study this DIY section and you will see all kinds of different builds

William330

Sep 13, 2018
ive had my 66cc kit for about 3 months and i want to try something that isn't just from a kit. it seems the best price to performance engines in my area are in lawnmowers or generators (whipper snippers have best price to performance but to small :p). the issue with a lawnmower is the vertical to horizontal conversion which i'm happy to try but if a generator motor is suitable i'll just use that. also can you do anything to these engine to reduce the fuel consumption so that they don't guzzle insane amounts of fuel? like adjusting carby. im mainly going for a bigger CC so that it doesnt have that high pitched whine we've all come to know xD.
How do I ask a question on here

William330

Sep 13, 2018
I have an 80 cc bike kit baught it from a guy had trouble starting ran for few days then sat overnight the next day I got it started and ran ape **** high even on choke I even got a spark off it it idle ten times past normal the last time it did this on my old motor 50 cc I adjusted the throttle cable then somehow it ran normal but still don't think this is the case what should I do

Degoragon

Apr 7, 2019
lA generator engine should work, but some of them have a tapered shaft, and get narrower at the end. You should be able to buy an adapter to get it to work. Make sure the adapter is for a tapered shaft though. You could also make one.

Even so, it would be easier to buy a Harbor Freight predator (212CC 6.5HP for $99 with a coupon, if you don't already have the generator unit, or if you cannot find one for like $30. I would recommend going to Harbor freight, and getting the predator. HF also has a 79cc 3 Hp unit for about $79 after coupon.

If you are in Canada, Princess Auto (canada's HF equivalent) sells the "power Fist" 6.5 Hp for about the same price.

A Torque-A-Verter (clone) type clutch setup runs about $50 (after shipping) on eBay. It will be a 3/4" shaft, (Predator and Power Fist use the same size shaft) and uses #35 chain ($15) for the final drive to the wheels.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Heck, just mount the whole generator on a trailer, rig an A/C electric motor to your bike, and hook 'em together.

Would make mounting and 'improvising' tons easier.

Good luck!!

Reactions: indian22
Aug 8, 2019
The whipper snipper engines work great my 25cc homelight pulls me around just fine. Can't wait till I can find another free 31cc to use.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Also talk about using right angle grinder gear box, never seen it cone about though. LOL
There are petrol powered angle grinders for sale in Auustalia. When you're really out in the wilds, you need an instantly available and portable power tool. The price is a bit steep though; North Face of the Eiger steep.

Reactions: indian22