Motorcycle muffler

GoldenMotor.com

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Is anyone using a "full size" motorcycle muffler? If so please let me know how well it works for silencing.

The reason I ask is I can lay my hands on one of these below for cheap. I can't help but think that if it can silence a motorcycle engine that it would quiet down our little exhaust noise. I have a basic 66cc engine.

I think the fitment issues can be worked out and I'm willing to put up with the bike being a bit heavier on one side. I'm not concerned with how dorky it may look. Just wondering how effective it might be.

Thanks, and it's ok to tell me I'm nuts because I already know that.

from a Triumph Bonneville T 100

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Thanks for the input, guys.

DoomedG - that muffler sounds good and effective.

Diablo - I do like the look of the bonneville muffler, it's a peashooter and I've always liked them. I was just thinking it might look gigantic on my bike but it's probably about 24 inches so it might look kind of cool after all.

I'll definitely report if I can get it. I don't have a car and the seller is too far to ride to or take public transit. I'll have to talk him into meeting me in the city. So, it's all up in the air at the moment. Anyway, at the price he's asking it's well worth a try.

doomedgame

Jan 26, 2017
ga
You could remove the guts of a stock muffle bend up a mesh cage wrapped in fiberglass Mat then pack it the the muffle shell then you would have one that's more appropriate sized just a idea

i am changing my pipe and muffler setup soon

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Tyler, that is a nice ride. Thanks for the info. How are you liking that pipe. I've had my eye on one of those for a while. I have a yz80 pipe that I will try first but I like yours since it is basically bolt on and made for our machines. Pictures are great.

Hey Doomed, I did have a self gutted muffler and did exactly what you suggested but with stainless pot scrubbers instead of fiberglass. Worked well until it rotted off. I bet the fiberglass would be more effective at silencing.

Thanks for the suggestion Tony.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Tyler, that is a nice ride. Thanks for the info. How are you liking that pipe. I've had my eye on one of those for a while. I have a yz80 pipe that I will try first but I like yours since it is basically bolt on and made for our machines. Pictures are great.

Hey Doomed, I did have a self gutted muffler and did exactly what you suggested but with stainless pot scrubbers instead of fiberglass. Worked well until it rotted off. I bet the fiberglass would be more effective at silencing.

Thanks for the suggestion Tony.
Well, like I said, today was my first ride, I just finished, well, kinda, I still want to get a front hub so I can put on a disc brake for the front but I had a "V" brake in a box so at least I could start her up and start breaking her in and then I can add the front disc brake soon, which I would say is a pretty important upgrade to get. I did this bike on a budget and I got several parts free off of a junk bike and I bought a few used parts too. The thing purrs like a kitten at low idle and the pipe really seems to wake up the engine, much better than the Sick Bike Parts Expansion Chamber I got on my other bike (see pic) I will know more after I ride it more and break it in. I still need to put a speedometer and a mirror on too.

PIC_2756.JPG

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
DG, that looks great. Please give a report on performance when you get the chance.

I got my Bonneville mufflers! Can't believe they sat on craigs for almost a month. A pair for 30. dollars canadian. They weigh a ton, ha ha. Even more than I expected but there ain't no way they're gonna rot before I do. I'm not going to be able to sling it low like I wanted but over the next couple of weeks I'll figure something out.

doomedgame

Jan 26, 2017
ga
Same setup I had on the other pipe so should run the same

The wheels are off right now for there lime green paint and glow coat

Last edited:

doomedgame

Jan 26, 2017
ga
Alright man! That looks like it fit on really good. Is it quiet? Also, nice mag rims!! You did a great job
Used liquid steel epoxy to make a offset reducer same stuff as before will as soon as its done will post video

Needed rims to fit the name beautiful death machine first test ride made the name