Motorcycle muffler

Discussion in 'Intake & Exhaust' started by Chaz, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Chaz

Chaz Active Member

Is anyone using a "full size" motorcycle muffler? If so please let me know how well it works for silencing.

The reason I ask is I can lay my hands on one of these below for cheap. I can't help but think that if it can silence a motorcycle engine that it would quiet down our little exhaust noise. I have a basic 66cc engine.

I think the fitment issues can be worked out and I'm willing to put up with the bike being a bit heavier on one side. I'm not concerned with how dorky it may look. Just wondering how effective it might be.

Thanks, and it's ok to tell me I'm nuts because I already know that.

from a Triumph Bonneville T 100

[​IMG]

2. doomedgame

doomedgame Member

Well it's for small bikes

3. el Diablo Guapo

i don'think that looks dorky, it would totally match most of my builds.
    if you do it post as to how it works out.

4. Chaz

Chaz Active Member

Thanks for the input, guys.

DoomedG - that muffler sounds good and effective.

Diablo - I do like the look of the bonneville muffler, it's a peashooter and I've always liked them. I was just thinking it might look gigantic on my bike but it's probably about 24 inches so it might look kind of cool after all.

I'll definitely report if I can get it. I don't have a car and the seller is too far to ride to or take public transit. I'll have to talk him into meeting me in the city. So, it's all up in the air at the moment. Anyway, at the price he's asking it's well worth a try.

5. doomedgame

doomedgame Member

You could remove the guts of a stock muffle bend up a mesh cage wrapped in fiberglass Mat then pack it the the muffle shell then you would have one that's more appropriate sized just a idea

i am changing my pipe and muffler setup soon

#5 doomedgame, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  6. Tony01

Tony01 Member

Too big and heavy. A glasspack for a gy160 scooter is the best deal

7. Tyler6357

Tyler6357 Member

I'm using a FMF Power Core 2 Silencer. I just rode it for the first time today, it purrs like a kitten at low idle.

PIC_2772.JPG PIC_2770.JPG PIC_2773.JPG PIC_2775.JPG

8. Chaz

Chaz Active Member

Tyler, that is a nice ride. Thanks for the info. How are you liking that pipe. I've had my eye on one of those for a while. I have a yz80 pipe that I will try first but I like yours since it is basically bolt on and made for our machines. Pictures are great.

Hey Doomed, I did have a self gutted muffler and did exactly what you suggested but with stainless pot scrubbers instead of fiberglass. Worked well until it rotted off. I bet the fiberglass would be more effective at silencing.

Thanks for the suggestion Tony.

9. Tyler6357

Tyler6357 Member

Well, like I said, today was my first ride, I just finished, well, kinda, I still want to get a front hub so I can put on a disc brake for the front but I had a "V" brake in a box so at least I could start her up and start breaking her in and then I can add the front disc brake soon, which I would say is a pretty important upgrade to get. I did this bike on a budget and I got several parts free off of a junk bike and I bought a few used parts too. The thing purrs like a kitten at low idle and the pipe really seems to wake up the engine, much better than the Sick Bike Parts Expansion Chamber I got on my other bike (see pic) I will know more after I ride it more and break it in. I still need to put a speedometer and a mirror on too.

PIC_2756.JPG

10. doomedgame

doomedgame Member

11. Tyler6357

Tyler6357 Member

12. doomedgame

doomedgame Member

Good to hear

13. doomedgame

doomedgame Member

Well it's together

Attached Files:

14. Chaz

Chaz Active Member

DG, that looks great. Please give a report on performance when you get the chance.

I got my Bonneville mufflers! Can't believe they sat on craigs for almost a month. A pair for 30. dollars canadian. They weigh a ton, ha ha. Even more than I expected but there ain't no way they're gonna rot before I do. I'm not going to be able to sling it low like I wanted but over the next couple of weeks I'll figure something out.

15. doomedgame

doomedgame Member

Same setup I had on the other pipe so should run the same