Motor won’t start

GoldenMotor.com

Glitch

Jan 3, 2021
I’ve made sure the wiring is all correct.

new cdi installed.

spark plug does spark when I test it.
The gap is .024 so I don’t see a problem there.

the kill switch is connected but not “locked on” or being tripped/used.

fuel is getting to the reservoir perfectly fine.
(I even drained the fuel in it and put straight fuel with no oil mix to try and start it, I’m case my oil mix was too much for some reason)

throttle is all connected and working.

does not seem to be any dirt or muck anywhere in the electrical lines, fuel line, fuel reservoir, clutch, the idle starter/adjuster, gears, or anywhere.

I start pedaling and release the clutch and it sounds like it is starting, revs up and such but then I turn the throttle and nothing happens, no extra boost, rev, or anything at all, and it then goes off after a little bit, like 5-10 seconds or so.

it’s an 80cc motor, and I’ve had it like 2 weeks. It was working fine and then just suddenly - nothing. It cut off on me while I was driving it, and hasn’t come back on since.
If I think of anything else that I have done I’ll update this section, but that’s everything major I can think of. Can a motor only 2 weeks old really just die like that?
Any clues or suggestions on what may be the problem please do post a comment on here.

thanks

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Welcome to the forum.

No spark, Maybe your new CDI is bad? It happens
Make sure S/P wire is making contact. Check Mag air gap
I suggest check all wire connections. The kill switch is known to be a problem.
Disconnect and bypass it.

Glitch

Jan 3, 2021
I AM getting a spark from the spark plug, it’s just not starting up the engine. And yeah I’ve got the kill switch disconnected actually, I guess I wanted to remove as many opportunities for failure subconsciously

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I AM getting a spark from the spark plug, it’s just not starting up the engine. And yeah I’ve got the kill switch disconnected actually, I guess I wanted to remove as many opportunities for failure subconsciously
Check for a compression leak and look for any air leaks
Not too many members seem to want to help ya here.
I suggest taking this into the 2 stroke section or go to
www.motoredbikes.com I'm a regular there and the members are way more helpful when it comes to 2 stroke problems.

JerryAssburger

Mar 11, 2017
Salem Oregon
Check for a compression leak and look for any air leaks
Not too many members seem to want to help ya here.
I suggest taking this into the 2 stroke section or go to
www.motoredbikes.com I'm a regular there and the members are way more helpful when it comes to 2 stroke problems.
GREAT ADVICE. My 80cc would "act" like it was running/firing, but contributed NOTHING to the forward motion of the bike. Leaky head to cylinder seal was the culprit.

Reactions: wrench