motor wont start

GoldenMotor.com

rowenj

Sep 29, 2008
the motor on my first build motorized bike wont start and the sprocket on the motor wont move. I have to pedal to start it but it wont start i hook the wires blue to blue, black to black, one of the kill switch wire to white other to bike frame i dont know what that button on the clutch lever is for.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
First, disconnect the white wire to the kill switch. Second, don't hook up the kill switch untill you get the bike running then use it to ground the blue wire.

The button on the clutch it to lock the lever in the disengaged position.

Welcome to the forum!

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
my engine was VERY TIGHT from the get go and i had to ride it down a long hill to get engine turning for initial start. and then the chain that comes with the kit wouldnt go on the sprocket on the engine withoug binding and jammin chain on the top right bolt hole of the clutch lever cover. so i went to rural king and bought a 41 chain i think it was and its worked well ever since.

also might want to check allignment of chain and rear wheel

rowenj

Sep 29, 2008
I disconnected the kill switch wires but still wont start and that little sprocket on the enginge is hard to turn when i peddle. It turns fine when the spark plug is off or the clutch lever button is push in.

rowenj

Sep 29, 2008
yes its on the on position. i did that but when i desengage the clutch(button out) the bike comes to a halt. the sprocket on the motor is hard to rotate when i peddle.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
by the looks of your chain I'd say you need to remove a link out of the chain and then use the idle wheel to adjust it so you have about 1" of slack on the top chain run, rotate your rear wheel to where the chain is the tightest to start adjusting some slack into the chain. I think your chain might be getting hung up on the engines case around the front sprocket but that is only a guess if you cant' get the engine and rear wheel to turn when you let the clutch out to start the bike.

you know to use the choke the lever on the choke is pulled up and to take off the choke the lever is down.
make sure you are gettng spark and fuel if you can get the engine to rotate it will start.

Last edited:

rowenj

Sep 29, 2008
the small sprocket on the motor does not rotate well when the spark plug is screwed on. i dont know where to put this small pipe thing

Attachments

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I disconnected the kill switch wires but still wont start and that little sprocket on the enginge is hard to turn when i peddle. It turns fine when the spark plug is off or the clutch lever button is push in.

The little sprocket is hard to turn because it's trying to turn over the engine...that's normal.

Now, let's review....spark? Fuel? Air (filter element not soaked with fuel)?

What does the plug look like?

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
yes its on the on position. i did that but when i desengage the clutch(button out) the bike comes to a halt. the sprocket on the motor is hard to rotate when i peddle.
try to forget about the clutch button, for a minute. just worry about the clutch lever itself.
the sprocket is going to be hard to spin while pedaling...thats compression in your motor, and thats a good thing. not to disagree with anyone, but i dont feel you need to take any links out of your chain because it doesnt look extremely loose. if you move the roller up a little, it may take up the extra slack.

try turning choke lever all the way up, pedal (quickly), let clutch out. let it go POP! chug-chug. stop, let the choke lever down to about halfway. try it again.

i have a bike that is sooo tricky to start, because the choke has to be in its 'sweet spot'

rowenj

Sep 29, 2008
What's a choke lever? sorry the manual that the seller sent me was in a pdf file and it did'nt mention anything about that or that little pipe. I bought this on ebay and the seller does not respond to my emails.

THANK YOU to everyone who help :)

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
ok, as you're sitting on the bike, look down to the right side of the carb. its the only lever on the carb. should be able to move up and down.

with it up, the choke is on, meaning its letting only the smallest amount of air in.

and thats one of the biggest nightmares buyers from eBay (except for Dax) face....NO information/help/replies.

rowenj

Sep 29, 2008
Ok, im starting to see progress i hear a chug-chug sound and see smoke from the exhaust pipe when pedaling downhill but then it stops. I let the choke lever down halfway but still the same. I know now that the brown button is for the fuel inlet and that lever is for the air intake but i dont know what that screw with spring is for.

big thanks to spunout and to all who help!!!:D