motor only runs with wheels turning, but doesn't accelerate.

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I figured I'd post this in it's own thread instead of being hidden in my Finally! thread.

The bike was running great today. Accelerated nicely, was pretty quick, etc.

So, all of a sudden it won't stay running. If I'm pedaling and the wheels are turning, the motor will run, but if I give it gas it won't go any faster, and if I disengage the clutch, the motor dies. Since the motor runs when the bike is moving, I'm sure I have fuel and spark. So what else could it be?

It won't accelerate and dies with clutch in...

I checked the plug and it was a bit oily/black, so I moved the e clip to the top notch and cleaned the plug. Of course this didn't really help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hi jason; bummer, it sound like no or very little gas is making it through your carb. i would start at the tank and work to the carb. the petcock might be plugged from stuff in the new tank. good luck. mitch

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Hmm. I think tomorrow I'll try pulling the gas line off the carb and letting it run into the gas can and see how it flows. Once it's empty I'll remove the petcock and check it out. I'll see about removing the carb and checking it out tomorrow as well.

The tank isn't new. This kit has been around the block a few times. I just bought it off of some guy already assembled on the bike. Before I picked it up he had run some SeaFoam through it to clean things up, then filled up with a new mix of gas. This is actually the old-style kit that came with the separate orange-button kill switch (which is broken, lol)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
It feels like it does. I adjusted the throttle cable so there is very little slack in it, and I can hear a kind of click when I move the throttle.

I won't be able to get to the bike for another 8 hours, so keep the suggestions coming :)

It's just kind of disappointing, the bike was running like a raped ape for about 20 min, it was great fun.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
I RECENTLY PUT A 80CC MOTOR (WHETHER IT IS OR NOT WHO KNOWS) ON A STING RAY DROVE IT AROUND THE BLOCK A COUPLE TIME EVERY OTHER TWENTY MINUTES :ride: UNTIL I THOUGHT IT WAS BROKE IN I TOOK IT ON ITS MAIDEN VOYAGE ACROST TOWN AND BACK TODAY AND NEAR THE END OF THE RIDE ITS WAS GIVING THE SAME SYMPTOMS AS YOU DESCRIBED AND AFTER SCRATCHING MY HEAD FOR A LONG TIME AND LOTS OF CUSSING FINALLY I NOTICED THE INTAKE GASKET BLOWN COMPLETLY OUT BETWEEN ENGINE AND INTAKE :( MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOUR TWO ( SORRY I COULD HAVE SAID THAT SHORTER)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
All gaskets are fine. That was one of the first things I checked.

Right now it's lookin like the magneto is dead. None of the resistance tests are working properly, and it's not putting out voltage on one of the wires when it spins. I have a replacement CDI and Magneto on order from thatsdax. Hopefully they get here soon. Anybody know what days Dax ships parts? Should only take a day to get here, seeing as he's about 45mi south of here....

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I pick my parts up! :grin:

I was gonna chime in and say look at your exhaust. Sometimes on these two strokes when you go a bit heavy on the premix it collects in the muffler then you can get a little clog,enough to do what you are saying.

VaporKing

May 15, 2008
Jason,

I had an identical problem on mine.

I'm curious as too what kind of resistence/voltage checks you did.

I agree that yoiu should follow your gas down-into the intake. Verify delivery from tamk valve, and take-apart yor carb to inspect your jets. If you can't see a clean, perfect tunnel of light, then you have a problem. A pluged jet manifests exactly as you described. I know, because it happen to me.

Use carb cleaner (Gumout) with the thin straw (wear eye protection) to clean(blast)-out the jets.

To test the magneto, if you are not afaid if getting shocked, just disconnect everything, and "arc" the blue and black magneto wires across you hand, while hand peddling your engenged engine across the floor. If you feel the current, then your magneto is probably good. Then connect blue to blue, and black to black (for your CDI), remove your spark plug from the engine, and ground it to the block (with plug connected, obviously). You should be able to see spark, in the dark, while hand peddling. I don't recommend the bare hand test with this, because you might not like this shock too much).

warning: if you are afraid of getting shocked, then use some other method, otherwise you wont be happy if your electrical system funtions properly.

I've heard reports that the stock kill switches are notorious for being faulty, and disconnection for trouble-shooting is recommended. I can see how any kind of rain on the switch can short-it out. I now use my stock kill switch for a low amperage piazzo horn. I installed a new kill switch along with my high amperage horn and light swicth on my switchbox.

I'll bet anything that you have a plugged jet.

Let us know how it worked.

Sincerely,

:ride:
VaporKing

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
fuel definitely flows from the tank.

I haven't opened up the carb yet, though.

I ran through the whole gamut of tests with the magneto and CDI. I'll see if I can find that link.

fairracing31, that's odd. My email from Grady yesterday said they already shipped. Since I ordered Saturday, I'd assume they ship before Thursdays...oh well. As long as I get my parts soon and I can start riding to work next week I'll be happy.

Hopefully I'll get my parts today, and my wife is working a closing shift tonight, so I'll have plenty of time to work on the bike :)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Well anyway, it shipped yesterday and arrived today. Put the new mag and cdi on, runs great. Took a short trip to see my wife at work and get a drink, on the way home I got nailed in the throat by a bee at 25mph :(

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'll bet the bee now hates motorized bikes rotfl
Poor bee:crash:
lucky you if you didn't get stung I don't like getting nailed by bees either.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
oh I got stung alright. Luckily I was only about 1/2 mile from home. Felt like I got splashed on the neck with molten lava :(

That was the first time I've ever been stung. I KNEW there was a reason I've always been afraid of bees

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've got a funny story about bee's...A VW bug with all five of my family members, trip to Mexico, four boxes of bee's (they way they ship them in the mail)...

Maybe when I have time I'll post it in the Tavern.