Motor oil

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Has anyone else noticed that conventional motor oils are going away? I was looking for 30w for my lawn tractor at Walmart and could only find one option. I looked at every oil on the shelf, all were synthetic or synthetic blend, the only 30w oil was the house brand, has anyone notice 30W HD in synthetic? The Walmart brand is labeled as off road/tractor conventional oil.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Our local Fleet Farm has it yet, not sure but tractor my be non detergent. Is you tractor old? I have been running diesel oil in mine, it has the Zing additive that was run in pre 1995, that was taken out of the oils. I belong to https://www.casecoltingersoll.com// and have a old Case 444. I now use it in mine, old 14 hp Kohler, much better lubrications ..................Curt

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Curt mine is a 21hp Briggs and Stratton, the manual says the engine will burn more oil if you use multi-weight oil in hot weather. I have been running 5w30 and added more than I like every time I run it. I changed the oil and filter today, 30W HD conventional super tech and a fram filter. I’ll see if it makes a difference, everything is blooming here so I’ll be using it a lot soon.

Reactions: fasteddy

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Snowing like crazy here, be so glad when it over, it was melting nice then this. But it is going to be nice from now on, Good luck with the oil, it's always subject because of cataleptic converters .........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
LOL, Ya we are going to jump in the motorhome next week and head down for a while and when I get home it will sure to be gone. I didn't go last year because of my new shoulder fix, makes it seem long since we went last. I don't really mind winter except when it drags one like this one, extra early snow. I seems all I have been doing is working on snow blowers 4 all toll, plus my tractor it blew a rod, so put the original one back it, working really good now. That's when I learned about the diesel oil, sure made a difference, running 5-40 as don't get used in the summer...Love the picture.........Curt

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Greg, for what it's worth. I'm running 15-40 in my Cub ZT1 50 23hp Kawasaki. My thinking is air cooled needs higher shear oil. My R80/7 BMW runs 20-50.

Tom
Hey Curt, you got a photo of a cataleptic converter? :D

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
I have the same problem only I have a hard time finding straight weight non detergent oil. I collect and restore old single cylinder, open flywheel, hit-miss gas engines. I use non detergent in all the drop oilers and the dumps. Regular detergent oils do their job of attracting the carbons from the blow by , but make the engines a dirty mess.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Has anyone else noticed that conventional motor oils are going away? I was looking for 30w for my lawn tractor at Walmart and could only find one option. I looked at every oil on the shelf, all were synthetic or synthetic blend, the only 30w oil was the house brand, has anyone notice 30W HD in synthetic? The Walmart brand is labeled as off road/tractor conventional oil.
Joe Gibbs comes in 30w non detergent which the diesel rotella has and you don't want...

Attachments

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Mossy

May 20, 2022
In the old motors 30w refers to the bearing (babbitt) clearance.. .030 ... 10w 30 is the winter/summer viscosity of the oil... 20w 50 worked better on everything when I had no choice but the diesel rotella...

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Well our early spring was short lived, it's 29 this morning. That means all the dogwood flowers that make it will be yellow instead of white, I hope my grape vine blooms and fig blooms make it. It's supposed to be cold the next couple of mornings.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Happy Birthday to you Tom!

I just ordered online from Amazon, Briggs & Stratton straight 30W oil.

Briggs & Stratton 30W Engine Oil - 48 Oz. 100028
Visit the Briggs & Stratton Store

List Price:
$12.53 Details
Price:
$8.47 (
$0.18 / Fl Oz) Get Fast, Free Shipping with Amazon Prime FREE Returns
You Save:
$4.06 (32%)

Shipping is free over $25 of Amazon shipped items for this, so I qualified for free shipping that way.

I don't go through oil that fast. The stores in town do not have straight 30W, I have to go to the bigger city about 200 mi round trip. Had used a gift card ages ago, a birthday gift to me, I bought a Briggs Plastic Fuel Tank and adapted it from mower design to my motor bike. It forever thinks I buy Briggs stuff, and well they were partly right.

My generator also asks for same oil. When power was out and used it a bit, oil consumption had me looking for 30W and I only have 5W20 or 10W30. I use 10W30 and maybe I shouldn't have. It was from a cash for clunkers vehicle I still have the 10W30, so I used it in MB an Gen. Glad gen has low oil shut off. Now I can go back and change to oil to straight 30W and be with the program.... as long as it is still available?

MT

PS saw this synthetic 30W oil

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I don't understand why 30W oil is disappearing, there's many small engines that need it. I know you can get by with 5-30 or 10-40 but your engine will burn more oil, I used 5-30 full synthetic in mine last year and didn't like the oil consumption.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
We have a local oil distributor that's been in business as long as I remember, I may stop by and ask him what's going on. If I can buy a case of conventional oil it will last a long time, I have five small engines on mowers, pressure washer and generator so I can change the oil this year at least and have enough to keep everything topped off.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
We have a local oil distributor that's been in business as long as I remember, I may stop by and ask him what's going on. If I can buy a case of conventional oil it will last a long time, I have five small engines on mowers, pressure washer and generator so I can change the oil this year at least and have enough to keep everything topped off.
Vintage car oil should be available in 30w there's 30w break in oil mixed 1 to 4 of the same conventional like Lucas after break in... Off road use only because of catalytic converters so it's pricey and probably online

Attachments