Misfit Board Tracker

GoldenMotor.com

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Thanks Tom, the bench was built this summer with 2x6 and 4x4, lag bolts and deck screws. So far have an swg-25 tube bender, hf tube roller, compact bender, vice and tube notcher bolted on it. The tube roller required some re-engineering along with the other tools. Swag off-road company sells every die possible and makes keyed shafts for them to work nicely. Really like those servi cycles and don't mind the sharing at all. Actually encourage it.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Old buddy of mine from Wheels of Fortune MC days Dave Kisser, built a bench of the same gage. Notched in lower shelf. Drew the top together with through threaded 1/2" rod. Hand planed the top dead flat. Finished in Tung Oil. I never seen him do anything but chip carve German style cookie presses on it.
Tom

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Lol Tom, my table is quite simple and crude but purpose built for bike building. Will be building a frame fixture some time soon and hopefully start designing some frames and forks. Here is a picture of the table design, cost 200 USD with a ten percent off coupon. Wanted it to be heavy so it didn't move. 8' long x 33" wide x 29" tall
IMG_20201101_022558611.jpg

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Once again had to look up anvil height and sure enough the table comes to knuckle height, myself coming in at 5'6 on the drivers license but more close to 5'5 to be fair. My last girlfriend swore she was 5'5 and I was 5'6 but always said I had "bad posture". What can I say I like to relax haha.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ralph I'm glad to hear yet another fine forum mate declare their thread "open" for actual discourse on topical tangents. It seems to me that this tends to generate posts that feel more conversational and less confrontational. I can't learn if others don't share and I'm more open to sharing my own thoughts with those who demonstrate a willingness to actually converse freely rather than dominate in monologue

I agree with Tom that you've constructed a fine bench and to your personal specs which I find to be essential for all manner of projects not intended for sale to or regular use by others. I build to suit my needs rather than those of others & encourage others to do likewise and as they determine to be proper for their requirements.

Rick C.

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
Hey Ralph, where did you get your flanged bushings? I ran into the same issur on my bike. There's a wierd hump at the base of my fork that prevents conventional bearings from being used. Could you also provide a close up of your fork assembly if you have one?

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Hey Ralph, where did you get your flanged bushings? I ran into the same issur on my bike. There's a wierd hump at the base of my fork that prevents conventional bearings from being used. Could you also provide a close up of your fork assembly if you have one?
Hey bud, I'm pretty certain cnol changed their design on the truss forks. So I'm not sure I've the same issues. I just used headtube conversion bushings to use a 1in fork tube in a 1 1/8 frame. If you're fork steer tube is too short. I'd recommend cutting high above the center of the steer tube and welding a donor steer tube up top with a 7/8 sleeve. There is a taper inside that won't really allow a 7/8 tube if you just try to cut and lengthen the tube by itself and if it's trouble getting the race bearing on just use a length of pvc to drive it on with a hammer

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
Hey bud, I'm pretty certain cnol changed their design on the truss forks. So I'm not sure I've the same issues. I just used headtube conversion bushings to use a 1in fork tube in a 1 1/8 frame. If you're fork steer tube is too short. I'd recommend cutting high above the center of the steer tube and welding a donor steer tube up top with a 7/8 sleeve. There is a taper inside that won't really allow a 7/8 tube if you just try to cut and lengthen the tube by itself and if it's trouble getting the race bearing on just use a length of pvc to drive it on with a hammer
Hey ralph, thanks for the advice. Everyone I've talked to has given the same advice so I'll be trying it out tomorrow. At least it'll give me a chance to practice a new welding technique haha.