Mini keg mock up

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by dag_29307, Apr 28, 2011.

1. dag_29307

dag_29307 New Member

Well I had some time last night, so I walked down the road to a friends house and along the way I found a mini keg along the road. I said wouldn't this be cool for a fuel tank. So this is what I came up with. What do ya think? Is this a reasonable Idea? Anyone done it?

Attached Files:

2. Skarrd

Skarrd Member

DO IT!!!

maybe see if there's some way you can thoroughly clean out the keg. we don't need an intoxicated motor now do we? ;)

3. Tohri

Tohri New Member

****, the gas we run around here is already 20 proof, why the **** not run a keg tank?

4. dag_29307

dag_29307 New Member

Ok here is the update to the mini keg build...I went looking for something to use as a filler neck and cap when I came across my wife's aluminum water bottle, I peeled the brass screw fitting out of the top of the bottle and JB Welded it to the top of the keg. and waited for that to harden when it was done I drilled through the keg and used a dremel to smooth out the inner edges (careful of the threads). then I JB Welded a 1/4" brass fitting to the bottom of the keg over a hole I drilled there. Now I just have to get some hose and clamps and I'll have this mounted on my wooden keg carrier. I also made a place for the 6V batt. that's gonna run my lights. Once I get some $$ I'll buy a NT carb. and I'll be motoring again. Until later, Ride safe guys.

Attached Files:

#4 dag_29307, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  5. txlixard469

txlixard469 New Member

great idea man that iz so f-n cool dance1

6. tim turbo

tim turbo Member

Can,t you guy,s think of any thing better than JBWeld? Really?

7. Skarrd

Skarrd Member

jb weld is good for mocking up a fuel tank and holding stuff in place when drilling/cutting out fittings.

but really it needs to be truly welded or brazed on.

8. dag_29307

dag_29307 New Member

Sorry that's all I have to work with. I have no cash flow and I can't afford the welder I want from HF yet. So I make do with what I have. and as this is my ONLY means of transportation right now. By golly it's JB to the rescue. Yeah it's a rather cheesy way to do things, but like I said I work with what I've got.

9. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Whatever you do, ya gotta leave that Heineken label intack. :)
    Tom

10. yodar

yodar New Member

I have a Heineken keg too and plan to use Plumber's GOOP, it is UV resistant, transparent, fuel resistant and less brittle than JB Weld

11. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

JB Weld is getting dogged here for no good reason IMHO, the hundreds of thousands of things that have been repaired over the years with it is amazing to me, I have made many repairs over the years with it and have tried to use it on other things and it wouldn't work, it isnt the perfect fix or the right fix for everything but it works pretty darn good for a lot of stuff just the same, fuel/oil doesn't effect it, it will take loads of heat and has a very good shear strength when mixed right, so I say great job on the Keg Tank, you could smoothe the edges of the JB-W... out real nice and then apply a little silver paint over it and nobody would know that it wasnt welded ground down and painted.

Just my $.02

Peace

12. dag_29307

dag_29307 New Member

Of course! I had that thought from the beginning. I was even thinking about making a mock Tap to put on the back but figured it would get broken.

#12 dag_29307, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  13. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Here is one I ran across on a go-ped....

Attached Files:

14. Ratchetbirds

Ratchetbirds Member

Hey Mapbike, here's a tip for epoxy that works just as well with JB. If you are doing a fillet on 2 pieces at 90 degrees to each other, use a stick or whatever to put the JB in there, then, dip your finger in rubbing alcohol and run your finger over the top of the JB smoothing it out as you go. Then wipe your finger off on a rag or paper towel. No fuss, no mess, leaving a very smooth and professional looking fillet. I used to do high power rocketry and that is where I learned this trick.

15. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Thanks for the tip Ratchetbirds,

I will remember that one for sure, that's one of the greatest things about this forum, so many people with such great experience in so many different areas which gives so many of us a chance to learn new tips & tricks we may have never known otherwise, for sure a wealth of knowledge here.........!

Peace, map

dance1