Mini-home

GoldenMotor.com

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
That would be all you need. We have so much junk that owns us. 99% of the objects in my house have no function or the function is not used. That is what is cool about these bikes, is there is so much joy for so little input. I could live like Thoreau on Walden Pond but would need a computer to stay in touch and a motor bicycle. My taxes alone cost more then her whole years expenses, and most of that money goes to the wrong uses. But when I lived in a motor home with a family of four, squatting on a vacant lot, with $20.00 to spend each week on food and gas, I felt a bit defeated. It is one thing to choose that life another to be forced into that kind of life.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is great! I lived in a 8x12 camper one summer with a cat named Ethel who I stole from an abusive home to find her a better one. Never got around to finding her one. But man it was pleasant living! Was in the Catskill MTns on a golf course. I worked 3 hrs a day and made enough to feed us both well. Rain on a tin roof is music and puts you to sleep like nothing else.

We live in a big house. Some thing always needs doing, fixing or paying. Stove died just this morning and got about 8" of wet heavy snow yesterday (Which I actually enjoy shoveling)

Some day I want to build a house barge. Fla in the winter and New England in the summer. Go back and forth real slow. (Carol is not into this!)

Great vid Mike

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I live in an 800 square foot mobile home.
I have a 24'X24' shop (oh yeah!)
I live on under 5 grand a year, although this year so far, I am waaay under budget. :)
I don't have any credit cards, loans or debt.

I love it.

A little money goes a loooong way for me. BTW- See my ads in the swap shop.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cape Codder the Ultimate Tiny Floating Home

Had to find a "pretty" one to have the conversation with Carol again. I again lost when I said it would have limited storage.

Dav, just looked around the living room. You are right, A $1,000 worth of cute stuff that collects dust, in a room we don't use.

Last edited:

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I saw a feature with those tiny houses a while ago on the news and could definitely live in one. My wife likes small houses too, but the problem with her is that she doesn't seem to realize that there would be no room for all her junk (which is the main reason we have separate homes!) Her house right now is busting the seams with useless junk and when I stay here, I can only bring a small duffel bag with me and have learned early on that when it's a time for giving gifts, I get her something biodegradable!

But yeah, I've always had the ability to live in small places and it has always been a win, win situation doing it too!

.xx.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
this thread makes me wish i was single. more than normally, haha

if i were, i could go to alaska like ive always wanted.

build a little house someplace not too far out of the way. hunt and fish.

*sigh* yeah.

Jun 25, 2008
I love the idea of finding a remote patch o land and saying "yup, here's where i'll live" chopping some wood, measuring 'by eye', hammering nails.......

........then checking on the 'www.middleofbloodynowhereonemanhousebuilding.com' forum cuz the patch you chose and the house your building just won't fit! Trawling for hours, getting side tracked with the thread about that toilet seat someone constructed from old beer cans.

Then finally finding a pic of a man who did something similar to what you want then scurrying back to re-try........sounds all too familiar actually........

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Mile.

P.S. Have you ever seen the Dutch Barges/homes? Some great used ones for sale over your way. Awesome stuff. Buy some land that floods for cheap and beach one. Every spring you have a house boat. During the summer you have water front property!

Dang. Like I needed one more crazy dream. Thats it, I am going back on happy pill meds. (if they stop making beer)

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Yes Dan. I Did Not Even Think Of That. I Did Click On The Link You Gave Me. Fellow Members, I Was Going To Sell My Property And Live On The Boat, Had A Prospectiver Buyer For 350,000, But The Economy Turned Bad For Now. Recently Sold The Yacht At A Loss To Keep Going. Its Still In My Frt Yard. They Repainted The Bottom And Are Moving It Soon To Install Fresh Engines. Hope You Like The Pic. Ron

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
I hear you guys loud and clear ... looks like the little house struck a chord in all of us ... The Call of the Wild & Simple!

The houseboat dream has been a big one for me too for a long time. Always thought it would be nice to build something like the mini-home in the video on a pontoon deck. Have an outboard moter just big enough to move it around. I think there are plans for this somewhere online. I'll post the site if I can find it.

Often thought Lake Barkley & Kentucky Lake in western Kentucky would be ideal for a houseboat ... lots of sheltered water, no extremes in weather and a gazillion miles of shore line. A guy could watch his bobber and loaf - I mean think - all day long ... no property taxes to worry about ... no grass to mow .. no snow to shovel.

I like to think I might just work it out someday. I'll be old enough for social security this year so that's a plus ... but I've got some health problems and family responsibilities that will no doubt take priority for a good while ... but we never give up do we?!
.trk.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I hear you guys loud and clear ... looks like the little house struck a chord in all of us ... The Call of the Wild & Simple!

The houseboat dream has been a big one for me too for a long time. Always thought it would be nice to build something like the mini-home in the video on a pontoon deck. Have an outboard moter just big enough to move it around. I think there are plans for this somewhere online. I'll post the site if I can find it.

... but we never give up do we?!
.trk.
Is a great thread Mike, TY.

I didn't want to ramble on your thread and started one along your theme. Turning into an anti pontoon thing you should consider. Not a great option for comfort or safety. Just a thought. http://motorbicycling.com/f28/house-boat-why-i-want-one-5591.html#post55668

Would be a great life though!

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Re: Mini-home ... on the water

Hey Dan,
Thanks for the input ... I do appreicate it. I have to say I don't have any experience with big pontoon boats that have tall or heavy "cabins" on them so this is good to know. We owned and enjoyed a 21-foot pontoon for many years and found it to be a good, stable craft for fishing and "lounging" in most small lake water conditions. Sounds like the on-deck structure can make a big difference.

Appreciate the heads up here and will be sure to keep it in mind if I'm ever fortunate enough to actually start building my "dream boat". Sounds like the 'toons need to be over sized and the cabin kept near the back (aft) 3/4.

.trk.

Last edited:

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
yeh if you could avoid taxes and just live without any hassle, I don't wan't to be a bum, just scaled down and enjoy what time I got with friends and laughter. You could have great insurance and live a bit longer but what about the quality of life as one of my favorite writers said it so well Thoreau
"We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aids, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn, which does not forsake us in our soundest sleep. I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor. It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts. Every man is tasked to make his life, even in its details, worthy of the contemplation of his most elevated and critical hour. If we refused, or rather used up, such paltry information as we get, the oracles would distinctly inform us how this might be done.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan- like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion. For most men, it appears to me, are in a strange uncertainty about it, whether it is of the devil or of God, and have somewhat hastily concluded that it is the chief end of man here to "glorify God and enjoy him forever."

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Mike, I have friends who love their pontoon boats and would not trade 'em for my v hulls. I should not have spoken so disparagingly. Is kinda the 4 stroke vs 2 vs rack mount vs in frame, lol.

Way back I looked into building one. Glen-L has plans and kits. The "Delta King" looked perfect and very cost effective. They have a bunch. I have real trouble with curves so this was perfect for me. They did the math.

Last edited: