Mini-home

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
TIME SPENT ON THE WATER, IS TIME WELL SPENT, THATS FOR SURE. READING TOM SAWYER AND HUCK FINN WHEN I WAS A KID PLANTED THE THOUGHT OF LIVING ON THE WATER. ROY ROGERS LIVED IN A HOUSEBOAT ON THE OHIO RIVER AS A KID. ITS SURPRISING HOW MANY HAVE LIVED ON A HOUSEBOAT, ESPECIALLY HERE IN THE WARM SOUTH. BUSINESS IS DOWN TO A TRICKLE, WAS RELIEVED WHEN THE BUYER CAME AND BOUGHT MY HOUSEBOAT. ITS SURVIVAL TIME NOW. MY SON BOUGHT A WELL USED 43 FT HOUSEBOAT, REPAIRED THE STEEL PONTOONS A COUPLE TIMES, THEN THEY WERE DONE FOR. ABOUT 3 YRS AGO HE BUILT A NEW ONE, 30FT X 10 FT. HE BUILT A 38 FT ALUMINUM TRAILER FOR IT. HE SAID IT PULLS GREAT AT 65 MPH. JUNE IS MY BIRTH MONTH, WILL BE 70. IT GOES BY PRETTY FAST, AND RUNNING OUT OF STEAM. DO ENJOY THIS FORUM, THE MEMBERS, ALL THE BUILDS, AND REMINISSING. RON.bf.

Last edited:

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
yeh if you could avoid taxes and just live without any hassle, I don't wan't to be a bum, just scaled down and enjoy what time I got with friends and laughter. You could have great insurance and live a bit longer but what about the quality of life as one of my favorite writers said it so well Thoreau
"We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aids, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn, which does not forsake us in our soundest sleep. I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor. It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts. Every man is tasked to make his life, even in its details, worthy of the contemplation of his most elevated and critical hour. If we refused, or rather used up, such paltry information as we get, the oracles would distinctly inform us how this might be done.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan- like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion. For most men, it appears to me, are in a strange uncertainty about it, whether it is of the devil or of God, and have somewhat hastily concluded that it is the chief end of man here to "glorify God and enjoy him forever."
That's some good stuff there! You know, I've been to where his little shack was set up on that lake and he had lived in a micro house as well.........probably 8'x8'. I can also relate to him because when I was 21, I went out into the wilderness on a survival quest and was out there for two years before I came out and it did something to me mentally (in a good way, although my wife may disagree!), but ya this whole thread makes me think on the days when I had lived in a micro house out in the wilderness!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
My Bother Has A Pontoon At His Hunting Camp. My 88 Yr Young Mother And Dad Go Fishing On It With Him On A Regular Basis. We Have Had 2 And They Are Great For Family And Cooking On The Grill Or Eating Out Of The Cooler, And Keep On Fishing. At My Age Comfort Is Close To Number One.

Jun 25, 2008
The adventures of tom sawyer and huckleberry finn struck such a chord with my 8 year old mind a went out back and built a boat (raft with a lino roof) and used to sit and pray it would flood so i could sail off and live on my little creation.....no thought for problems caused to others in that selfish dream!!

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I knew a guy who lived on the powerline right of way. His house I thought was such a good little set-up. It was a camper top bolted to two sheets of 3/4 pliewood. That set on two horses. the two horses set on cendar blocks. He had a matress and a sleeping bag. Locked with a big pad lock and hasp, Nothing worth stealing and he would come home when the bars close and would bum cigarettes from me as I would go to work in the mornings. But I thought, that his little setup was a cool cheap idea. So glad I quite smoking years ago.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
I knew a guy who lived on the powerline right of way. His house I thought was such a good little set-up. It was a camper top bolted to two sheets of 3/4 pliewood. That set on two horses. the two horses set on cendar blocks. He had a matress and a sleeping bag. Locked with a big pad lock and hasp, Nothing worth stealing and he would come home when the bars close and would bum cigarettes from me as I would go to work in the mornings. But I thought, that his little setup was a cool cheap idea. So glad I quite smoking years ago.
Hey Dave,
Now this might be a bit too ... Spartan.? I have to admit I've become REAL attached to electricity!

Glad I quit smoking almost 10 years ago too. It was really beginning to affect my health ... and my budget. Don't want to think about what it cost me over the years in both.
Thank God for giving me the strength to quit and for taking away the want-to!
.trk.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Mike, I have friends who love their pontoon boats and would not trade 'em for my v hulls. I should not have spoken so disparagingly. Is kinda the 4 stroke vs 2 vs rack mount vs in frame, lol.

Way back I looked into building one. Glen-L has plans and kits. The "Delta King" looked perfect and very cost effective. They have a bunch. I have real trouble with curves so this was perfect for me. They did the math.
Hey Dan,
Thanks for the Glen-L link ... some nice floating mini-homes there. The Waterlodge and Waterlodge Too kinda start me daydreaming again!

The last (only) boat I built from scatch was a 4' x 8' dingy. Took me over 250 hours when I was young and strong ... not counting coffee and doughnut breaks. At 61 I wonder how old I'd be when I finished a houseboat?!
.trk.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan- like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion. For most men, it appears to me, are in a strange uncertainty about it, whether it is of the devil or of God, and have somewhat hastily concluded that it is the chief end of man here to "glorify God and enjoy him forever." Henry David Thoreau

The quote above from Thoreau's "Walden" appeared in a previous post to this thread by a member who I have only feelings of respect and friendship for. But, I have to disagree with Mr. Thoreau's last point if he's saying that "to glorify God and enjoy him forever" is less than a good thing ... or that it limits us in any way. My experience has been the opposite ... the more I strive to know God, to wait on His guidence and to do His will, the better life gets. He has never let me down and has never left me alone ... just wanted to mention this in the same thread as the quote.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom ..."
Proverbs 9:10
------
"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."
James 1:5
-------
"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you ..."
Matthew 7:7
------
For God so loved the world,
that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish,
but have everlasting life.
John 3:16
------
"Jesus said unto him,
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,
and with all thy soul,and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.

And the second is like unto it,
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
Matthew 22:37-40

Last edited:

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Hey thats not the american (or Canadian ) thing--we are taught to have more and more--that definetly is why these bikes are so cool--far more fun than most cars and you can afford it.
For whatsoever you have therefore be thankful..cargo
Robin,
Are these pic's of your house? Very Cool!
.trk.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
ROBIN, LOOKS LIKE A GREAT PLACE FOR WOOD HEAT, BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, IN N WIS. I LIKE WOOD HEAT. LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL VIEW YEAR AROUND. .sno.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan- like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion. For most men, it appears to me, are in a strange uncertainty about it, whether it is of the devil or of God, and have somewhat hastily concluded that it is the chief end of man here to "glorify God and enjoy him forever." Henry David Thoreau

The quote above from Thoreau's "Walden" appeared in a previous post to this thread by a member who I have only feelings of respect and friendship for. But, I have to disagree with Mr. Thoreau's last point if he's saying that "to glorify God and enjoy him forever" is less than a good thing ... or that it limits us in any way. My experience has been the opposite ... the more I strive to know God, to wait on His guidence and to do His will, the better life gets. He has never let me down and has never left me alone ... just wanted to mention this in the same thread as the quote.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom ..."
Proverbs 9:10
------
"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."
James 1:5
-------
"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you ..."
Matthew 7:7
------
For God so loved the world,
that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish,
but have everlasting life.
John 3:16
------
"Jesus said unto him,
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,
and with all thy soul,and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.

And the second is like unto it,
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
Matthew 22:37-40

I agree 100% I posted the whole quote, even though I think if you did what Thoreau did and you back life into a corner, take everything away that is not life, you would be left with the realization that the only good in us and in anything is what God put there because we have nothing good in us, it is all him. I posted it because it is in us too seek the truth and to be free of what the world calls reality. If you truely seek the truth, and are brutily honest with yourself, you will find Christ is the only truth. I am glad you set that streight Mike

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
I agree 100% I posted the whole quote, even though I think if you did what Thoreau did and you back life into a corner, take everything away that is not life, you would be left with the realization that the only good in us and in anything is what God put there because we have nothing good in us, it is all him. I posted it because it is in us too seek the truth and to be free of what the world calls reality. If you truely seek the truth, and are brutily honest with yourself, you will find Christ is the only truth. I am glad you set that streight Mike
AMEN DAVE! So glad to read your post this morning. I felt strongly that I needed to make a comment on the "Walden" quote itself but was worried you might take my post the wrong way. Glad we're in agreement. Your post really made my day!

God bless!
.trk.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Guess it's time I chimed in here.
The picture is of my brother's hunting cabin. It's semi-stationary, can be moved if needed. It is on National Forest land near Ocala Florida. he uses it quite often, he's a bow hunter, and it has everything he needs during his three or four day hunts. It sleeps two comfortably and four snuggly. Has a kitchen and a front porch for those-watching-the-sun-set-with-beer-in-hand-evenings.
Funny thing about this thread; He has considered building a pontoon barge for it and doing some lake fishing on Okeechobee. Sounds like a good time to me.
Tom

Attachments

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Re: Nice Place!

Guess it's time I chimed in here.
The picture is of my brother's hunting cabin. It's semi-stationary, can be moved if needed. It is on National Forest land near Ocala Florida. he uses it quite often, he's a bow hunter, and it has everything he needs during his three or four day hunts. It sleeps two comfortably and four snuggly. Has a kitchen and a front porch for those-watching-the-sun-set-with-beer-in-hand-evenings.
Funny thing about this thread; He has considered building a pontoon barge for it and doing some lake fishing on Okeechobee. Sounds like a good time to me.
Tom
Hey 2door ... now that is one nice looking place! Just out of curiosity ... what are the demensions?
.trk.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Re: More Mini-homes & Log Cabins

Below are some more links to some more Micro-Homes and Log Cabins:

A log cabin project:

YouTube - log cabin project
----------------

On the building site with Bungalow in a Box:

YouTube - How to Build a House in One Day

their website:

Bungalow in a Box
-------------------------------

YouTube - Alone in the Wilderness - The Story of Dick Proenneke

There are several other "related videos"
on YouTube.

-------------
ChainSaw Method:

YouTube - Bush Man "The Last Frontersmen Part 3"
-----------------

.trk.

Last edited:

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I like that it has a porch. It would have been great being small, that porch is the iceing on the cake. I could see myself shooting the breeze on that. I will post a pic of my cabin when I can find one.