Magic Pie 3 Doesn't Do anything

GoldenMotor.com

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Guess I need some educated guesses now. I charged up the battery and purchased a 25 amp ac plug and receptacle per Mike B's suggestions. And the only thing that happens is the Thumb Throttle lights up nothing else happens.

I'm thinking that it has to be grounded out, but there is no ground wire from the motor or the battery. The plug and receptacle has a spot for a ground wire but the motor's wiring and the battery has no ground wires. What do I do.
Sorry guys but electrical stuff is not my forte.

I can't return the Magic Pie because I bought it back in February and I just now got the battery.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
have you checked the voltage coming out of the battery? i guess that is the first place i would start.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
check the basics first.
Make sure your throttle is firmly plugged into slot #3
Check the connection near the hub. Make sure both arrows are aligned
Check polarity connections.
If your using a disc brake, the bolts need to be filed down because they will rub on the inside of the hub.
There's not a whole lot that can go wrong with the MP3.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The cable that comes out of the MP3 hub with the 2 heavy guage wires is connected to batt + and minus. You will want the plug socket wired in series with the + connection, the minus should just be connected.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
yes black to black and red to red that's right there is no ground wire. Try this, disconnect the brake levers and the cruise control. Does it work now? What lights up on the throttle? Full? or empty? Unplug it and wait a minute then plug it back in.

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
The cable that comes out of the MP3 hub with the 2 heavy guage wires is connected to batt + and minus. You will want the plug socket wired in series with the + connection, the minus should just be connected.
Smart thinking! I didn't think about that, thanks.

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
k007,
I have the plug and receptacle wired ...Red to red, black to black. The 3 lights on throttle all light up (full, half empty) no blinking just steady on. No other lights light up. Absolutely no movement on the MP3. I've plugged and unplugged all connections several times still nothing.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
beach cruiser is the wheel hard to turn by hand? if so it would mean the controller is bad and i am sure the company would replace it

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for all the help...I suspect that I have a bad hub controller. Maybe they shipped me a re-manufactured hub because when I opened the box I noticed several scratches on the hub and the box was in perfect condition.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Are you using the MP brake levers with the switches?

If so, unplug the brake wires and try again. If you have a bad switch that is tripped, the controller will not power the motor as it thinks the brake is on.

If you get wheel power, then just the switch is bad.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Biggest problem I have with controllers is finding those two switch wires to hook together. Never can get a wiring diagram with a controller that makes any sense. I am gonna have to learn Mandarin I guess.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Have you played with the programmer?
I set the brake regen to 0% and it killed the throttle.
Need at least 1% to work...for me.

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
I got the thing to work after trying Mike B's suggestion of disconnecting each brake lever (thanks Mike B). Seems as though #1 is bad. At least the thing is working now. I'm using my own brake levers as the power stored using the regenerative system is miniscule and my own brakes work just fine. Golden Motor never responded to my emails. One of threaded caps for the spokes worked it's way loose and fell inside the wheel ring and is now rattling every time the wheel turns.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You only need 1 lever to trip regen, use the good one for the rear brake.

I love regen, it almost eliminates the need for brakes. Set it to engage just before brake engagement and you will not need much friction brake at all.

In emergency, grab all the brake you can.

I would fix that spoke. It's gonna be hella hard to get that nipple out of that double wheel though.

I'm good eh? Yeah Baby, I Rock - :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
nipple easy to get out, just take of tire then the rim tape and it will fall out one of the holes. re thread it and you should be all set, i put a little dab of loc tite on all the nipples and havnt had any loosen since. as far as the regan braking i love it to and as mike said you only need one connected on your motorized bicycle

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Yeah you rock Mike B! So do you Paul....Now I'm fiddling with the software program. I have to contend with a very long steep hill getting home. Speed falls below 5 mph even with me peddling like a stuck pig. I've had to have the wife on standby so she can come get me so I can load the bike on the bike carrier.
Am unsure of 3 of the parameters to input into the program so I can get more power to get me up the hill, ie.... In the 1st box Labeled MAX CURRENT what should I enter?
In the 2nd box labeled Motor Type what do I enter in the PHASE BOX?
In the 3rd box labeled PAS Level what should I enter? BTW my weight is 205!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You don't have to do anything, the factory defaults are pretty maxed out allready. Must be a killer hill.

What battery did you get? Did you ever run the battery out?

Dunno. I've never connected a computer to the pie.