loose small screws on a motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
you ever notice how small screws always seem to loosen with vibration no matter how much locktite you use? i don't have that problem with big screws but the small ones holding then aluminum are always loosening. I have tried everything. double them up ect. well i took all those small screws that i don't think i will have to remove and replaced them with rivets. a good rivet gun will tighten things as well if not better then a screw driver and if you ever notice boats and planes everything is riveted and they vibrate as bad as our bicycles. a rivet is easy to remove you just use a small drill bit and take out the center.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
now that would be fun to drive. nice, very nice car. i travel around in the midwest and love to watch the sprint cars

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm drooling again after looking at the car going to rust up my helmet. It's not fair but we don't play fair do we?!:confused:rotfl
Norman

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Rivits do loosen and can fail with vibrations. I speak from experience, a loose rivit popped out and almost cut a driveshaft in half on the CH-47D I was flying. Had the drive shaft failed, the tandem rotors would have decoupled and the aircraft would have had a mid-air collision with itself (front rotors contacting rear rotors).

However, a helicopter does vibrate a little more than a chinese 2 stroke engine but only a little more :)

Thanks for the tips.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Dang
I like helis I 've crashed my share and so far no scraches or cuts. All were rc rotfl
All things will go to heck even with proper maintance the ones with sorry maintance go to **** quicker. Try some red loctite it takes heat to get that stuff to let go.
Norman

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Cruiser- you might already be familiar with this stuff, but I was buying some locktite the other day and the guy at the store asked me what strength of locktite I wanted. I asked him how strong the maximum strength stuff was, and he said that you would have to use heat to undo it.
I decided to go with the medium strength, and so far no bolts or anything have loosened, but I do only have about 90miles on the machine so far. Maybe the super strength stuff would be good for you?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you never want it to come loose again, use the loctite sleeve retainer. You will need a torch to remove anything with that.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
I used to use red loctite until I had to start using an ez out to take my bike apart. Now I use the blue gel loctite, it seems to work better than the liquid and it is alot easier to break loose. It also doesn't taste bad when it gets on your fingersrotfl...Kelly

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you think it tastes bad on your fingers, it's actually VERY POISONOUS of you get it on anything you smoke and inhale the burning loctite.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i ran out of locktite and used jb weld on the screw i wanted to hold well. hopefully i never have to remove it lol

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Use your soldering iron to melt the JB weld or almost any epoxy when you want to rework something thats been epoxyed.