Lonesome Rack'ee

GoldenMotor.com

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Hi all,

I must be the only Rack'ee on here lol..

I've built two machines so far both using the GEBE system.. any questions on these I would be happy to answer :)

By far the hardest was the DBE7/32 which is my current ride - replacing 'Anita' who was 'liberated' sigh*

Talk soon and happy biking..

*Goes off to find the person who invented hub gears and make him a laxative coffee...*

Jemma xx
[/IMG]

ChrisHill

Manufacturer/Dealer
Welcome to motorbicycling Jemma.
I'm positive that more of your type will follow, lol.

How are the GEBE Systems? I've heard mixed stories told about them, and I'm sure that other people who read this would be interested in your views and opinions on your engine kit.

Why was 'Anita' 'liberated'?

Please, don't be shy ;) let it all out, lol.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Welcome to motorbicycling Jemma.
I'm positive that more of your type will follow, lol.

How are the GEBE Systems? I've heard mixed stories told about them, and I'm sure that other people who read this would be interested in your views and opinions on your engine kit.

Why was 'Anita' 'liberated'?

Please, don't be shy ;) let it all out, lol.
Hi Chris,

The thing with the GEBE kits is two-fold. Make very sure that the bike is suitable *before* you spend the money on the engine and mount and make sure you take time over the build and do a good thorough job.

I have been happy with both the GEBE engines I have had although on balance I prefer the older style of mounting - this one is too tight to work on.

My old bike was stolen - which hurts even more when I am on £90 a week and I found *after* the event that bikes arent covered under my home contents insurance (even if at home and locked *inside* the house)

The new one is going well although its a little underpowered for the frame - I have a GPS speedometer and associated sound system fitted to it :D. Cheap Holox bluetooth GPS and a Nokia E70 phone :)

Hope you are ok

Happy new year

Jemma xx

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI Jemma,

Looks like you have a little company here after all!.....I have a rack mount engine....can't remember the brand but I got it as a kid (I'm a big kid now at 42)....So it does have a few years on it....Far as I know it still works since its been stored at my parents house for many years....I'll try to dig it out and get it on a bike and post it here so you and your bike won't be so alone! ;-)

I remember the engine was quick but I do remember it had an appetite for rear tires since it was a steel roller friction drive...Since I lived in hilly country at the time I probably should have bought stock in the tire companies back then!

Andrew

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Oh! Oh! I got a rack mount...I think that it counts as such. It's a front mount TAS Spitz from 1980. I mounted it on a WalMart bike with an aluminum frame.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
That Spitz engine looks suspiciously similar in design and implementation to the Solex machines... incidentally is the large round thing on the bottom of the engine the exhaust?

I am *trying* to get hold of a boost bottle for my bike - I can find it online, but do you think I can buy the thing? *pout* ... any ideas on how to get one out of the states (its a tanaka part specific to the 32cc engine..)

How fast does the bike go with that engine set up? have you tried the nitro version yet - like the guy who got a velosolex to do 45mph!

Jemma xx

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Jemma-

That's the fuel tank it holds about a liter for petrol. The muffler can be seen down near the axle on the other side of the bike. The engine is a 23cc as far as I know.

The bike will go about 20 mph with me on it and I weigh in at 190 lbs.

I know I could convert it to run on some of my model airplane fuel (15% nitro, the balance is alcohol and castor oil), but that would be kind of expensive and I don't think it would go a whole lot faster....if I wanted to go faster, I'd get on one of my various other two wheeled contivances. Yeah, that's my "relaxation mode of transportation".

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It seems a little funky when walking the bike and it's a royal P.I.T.A if you want to leave it on the kickstand and walk away....it has to be just so. Other than that, I can't really tell a difference in handling.

sabala

Jan 5, 2008
Hi Jemma, I had some questions on the GEBE for ya...

How does pedaling with the engine off feel?
How long does it take to get the belt on/off? (says only seconds on website)
What kinda hills can it take?
How often do you pedal assist if at all?

Thanks for any info.

Nice ride too, love that green! Sucks about the other one though....

~cheers~

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
You pay for the shipping and give me the size you want in cc's I'll knock out one out of metal tubing and thread it for 1/8" npt on the end or side. Or you can send me a drawing of what you would like and I'll try to help you with this endeavor. By the way I'll pass if you ever offer me a coffee.
Norman

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Jemma
I'll show you an example of a bottle. This is on my rat bike. Which is (cough cough) 80cc kings form Canada.

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
I may be joining the legions of rackees soon. How do the rackmounts compare to the 2 stroke Happy engines? Are they significantly more reliable?

I'm thinking there may be a market where I live for lightweight rackmounts. Lots of locals who would like to have an engine as a backup in case they ride to far and get too tired to pedal home. Any suggestions?

Thanks

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
all the rackmounts i am aware of are 4 strokes and they are quite heavy. havn't really searched it to much so i may be wrong. the 2 cycle motors i find very simple and reliable. you just have to get all the bugs out of them first. i don't baby mine it is always full throtle and i put over 400 miles on it the first month. i did break it in with a heavy oil mixture like 16 to one and still run 25 to one it

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
That's what I thought. The 4 stroke engines are alot more complex (heavy). I might try a 26cc 4 stroke if I can find an old abandoned weed whacker donor.

Personally, I love the 2 strokes...simple has its advantages. I've stuck with a 20 to 1 mix. I'm a little to attached to my current motors to up the ratio. I'm not sure which of my motors have needle bearings, so I'm playing it safe. Besides, enough oil blows out of the exhaust to keep my chains thoroughly lubed....said half jokingly.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
20-1 is a bit much....carbon build up is nasty to the rings and plug.

For bushed engines, 24-1 is plenty, and for bearing engines, 36-1 is fine.

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll go ahead and bump it up to 24 to 1 on the next fill up.

Is there anyway of finding out if the engine has a bearing or bushing without taking the engine down? Is it worth the trouble to change from bushing to bearing, or should I wait for the bushing to go and then upgrade?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'm not sure of a way to tell if you have a bearing or a bushed engine other than to say contact your seller.

You would be better off changing a bushing over to a bearing BEFORE it goes, since there will be a boatload of metal crap in your engine if or when the bushing goes.

There is nothing to say your engine will grenade just because it's a bushed engine....it all depends on how it's used and maintained.