Locking the pull starter?

GoldenMotor.com

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
So I was once again thinking, maybe I can find a way to lock my pull starter using a key. Currently, my bike won't pedal start, so as a theft prevention, I want to make a key lock for a my pull starter. This will prevent the spool from rotating, and if someone decides to try to kick or pedal start the thing, the chains will either jam up or come off. Compound that with a keyed cdi, and nobody can start it period. Opinions welcome.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Maybe something like a the older style Pop-Lock they sold for tailgates on pickup trucks. You physically had to use a key to remove a cover over the tail gate pull latch. The idea I would see is a lock cover either over the recoil or just the ignition switch and fuel valve. Of course this would be the same idea, but home made.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I guess it is just slowing down the theft if it is such that removing a cover can evade the lock. I had seen a long time ago a flat bed truck with a crane. Hanging from the crane as the truck was going through an intersection was a motorcycle with its head light on. What do you think was happening I thought? Locking a bike to some immobile object and not for a very long time is my idea. Or even locking and keeping in sight of and watching.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I already have a lock for the frame. I want to have a lock that will prevent the pullstarter from turning so any thief will be further discouraged. And then the keyed ignition to even further if not completely discourage theft. Especially since I'm considering putting solder in the screws. Its easy to remove if you have a heat gun, but who's going to carry a heat gun around to try and get past a lock?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I already have a lock for the frame. I want to have a lock that will prevent the pullstarter from turning so any thief will be further discouraged. And then the keyed ignition to even further if not completely discourage theft. Especially since I'm considering putting solder in the screws. Its easy to remove if you have a heat gun, but who's going to carry a heat gun around to try and get past a lock?
I guess you didn't understand what I said.

Drill a hole in the pull start handle.
Run a cable thru the pull start handle.
Secure the cable.

kaneto

Jun 6, 2016
Bulgaria
What is the point? If someone tries to steal your bike he doesn't need to start the engine- he could just pedal away.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I guess you didn't understand what I said.

Drill a hole in the pull start handle.
Run a cable thru the pull start handle.
Secure the cable.
Its not really that easy. Its a small handle. Any nut with wire snips could get through a cable the size I would need to do that.
What is the point? If someone tries to steal your bike he doesn't need to start the engine- he could just pedal away.
Did you even read the first post. You can't pedal my bike. The two largest chains are too loose. Plus you would need a crank puller, a 9/16" wrench, and a Philips screwdriver to be able to pedal it. Not to mention a 10mm wrench and a 5mm hex wrench to take the middle sized chain off so it doesn't keep falling off. Too much hassle there.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/other/auction-1415034692.htm

This is EXACTLY what you're requesting.

Yes, I'm posting it again.

NOW what's your excuse?