Life expectancy of Chinese Bicycle Engines

GoldenMotor.com

TINKERER

Mar 22, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
to the veterans of motorized bicycles, How much life can I generally expect out of my "80cc" I dont plan on abusing it but I also dont plan on babying it either, It may end up being my daily Urban transportation.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Re: Life expectancy of Chinese Engines

I have no idea since i am also new to this but it seems the engines are pretty much like an old big ben alarm clock. Not very pretty and pretty sloppy mfg but they like ran forever. I doubt these will but one can hope.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Several thousand miles when treated with respect and proper maintenance.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

i put over 400 miles on mine last year and still running great. two strokes have always been known to last a long time. keep it lubed and keep checking the screws and bolts and i have a good felling even with the small price for a bicycle engine kit and how cheap they are made they will last a long time

Reactions: Bruce Hogan

quarkdude

Apr 22, 2008

:D
to the veterans of motorized bicycles, How much life can I generally expect out of my "80cc" I dont plan on abusing it but I also dont plan on babying it either, It may end up being my daily Urban transportation.
Hello Tinkerer,

I have read on other motoredbikes forums that some have gotten 6000 to 6500 miles out of a well maintained engine. Since the chinese engines have no replacable cylinder sleeves, well that means a new Jug, piston and head. But bang for the buck, thats not bad at all. I have 900 miles of hard ridden miles on mine and it is still purring.

....Thanks, quarkdude

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

i have over 700 on mine and still going strong, who knows how long they last but it has paid for itself many times over

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
I put around 3200 miles on my 70cc ebay kit before the wrist pin wore out. It may be worth mentioning that I put all those miles on my bike in just over 3 months. I took the engine apart and found that everything looked like a new engine inside. Replaced the rings and have a new roller bearing to replace the bushing ($20 in total). I haven't reassembled the engine yet, but suspect that it will be as good as new.

Given that the brass bushings (in the bushed engines) is relatively soft, I would consider replacing the bushing every 2000 miles as a part of general maintenance...or you can just buy a new engine:)

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
well.. For Starters, there is no such thing as an 80cc engine kit out of Asia. And..As for life.. Well..If you rag on your motor, you may get 1,000 miles, if you are nice, you may get 5000 to 6000 miles. No kidding. I know of one guy that has over 8000 miles, and he informed me the other day it is now getting tired. But. That is good miles for sure. Now..On the other Hand..The Titan 4 stroke, well... 8,000 miles is just getting that engine broken in.. But they cost twice as much.. Enjoy the ride..

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Replaced the rings and have a new roller bearing to replace the bushing ($20 in total). I haven't reassembled the engine yet, but suspect that it will be as good as new.
I'd double check the bearing/bushing thing, I don't think the bearing will fit where the bushing was.

ChrisHill

Manufacturer/Dealer
My beater has close 8200 km's on it now...that's since last fall. The temperature range that I've subjected it to are between +28C and -45C. Still going strong, without so much as a hiccup...although I did replace my coil around the 5500 km mark. That was my own fault though...not the engines, lol.
I don't baby it at all, and I am the worst person that I've ever met for maintenance issues...there just aren't enough hours in the day to care what shape it's in as long as it gets me to work and back...sometimes thru a good 6-10 inches of snow, lol.

Take care, and ride safely.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
These things should last almost forever as long as you keep an eye on the wrist pin bushing or don't over rev a roller bearing engine. New rings every couple thousand miles wouldn't hurt either and takes about 20 minutes to replace.

BTW, zero noticeable bushing wear on one of my engines using a castor blended 2 stroke oil at 32:1 ratio.

davidsis

Mar 14, 2008
How do you be nice to your engine. I have heared with other two stroke engines that running it full blast wide open is actualy good for the engine like a chain saw or weed wacker, does not like low RPMs, Could actually mess up the wrist pin by jerking it back and fourth. I know for a fact chugging the engine is bad, but mine seems to like high rpms. Like full blast all the time. I think what hurts them is the chugging it when you try to give full throttle too soon, in other words gradually gain speed

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Being nice to engine in my book means using best type and correct type of oil, waiting for engine to warm up before wailing on it, and tightening up loose stuff.

High rpms are ok as long as it is within limits.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
In the late 60's a company called Triumph decided to be silly and build their own V8 out of two of their slant 4 motors. Given that they were basing this V8 on the first ever production car 16v engine which was well accepted by customers you would think the car it was put in would be a success...

It was. The Stag V8, bodywork penned by Michelotti, was a great sucess at first. Then engines started to cook...

It turned out that the radiator was marginal for cooling - and given the average driver doesnt maintain the cooling system - problems developed and expensive ones at that...

If a Stag is looked after and the handbook followed the motors are bombproof but there are some people who wont learn even after one detonation...

The morale of the story is - look after your kit and it will look after you.

The Chengines are of their nature fairly fragile because of their location of manufacture and that they are built to a price, and a low one. They will be more sensitive than the commecial based kits such as GEBE etc but its their pricepoint that is the prime advantage.

With something sensitive you have to be more careful - mix fuel properly and keep it agitated - check the engine mixture regularly and importantly run it in properly (important for the chengines) - make sure brakes and fittings are not binding and bearings are free so the engine isnt fighting friction all the time.

With care these engines should be fine for years out of the box assuming you dont get a duff one but that depends on the owner and rider treating the machine properly and maintaining it between times...

Jemma xx

oddfellow74

Oct 7, 2010
west virginia
I live in the hills of w.v. and i have had 5 of these kits and are a blast. i weigh 158 pounds and they pull me up almost all the hills around here(on road).But i do recommend buying 2 kits cause parts break on them.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
My first China Girl motor purchased back in 2004 is still running. Has well over 18,000 miles on it the last time I ran the numbers.

The rings are a little gone getting some blow-by but it still going....

Reactions: Donnyten