Lets think this through.....

GoldenMotor.com

Papabear86

Jul 2, 2008
I am considering testing my two stroke on a mixture of veggie oil and E85.

While I am confident the mixture will eventually work and veggie oil (canoloa, soy, peanut, etc,) will offset the corosive impacts of the E85 I am curious as the settings of the gap on the spark plug.

Has anyone tried this before?

I dont drink or smoke or anything else, should I start?

Thank you guys

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Probably not the greatest of ideas to be honest but possible.

Better would be to get hold of two Lohmann engines (2 x 18cc) and make them into a 36cc twin. They are compression ignition engines that will run on various different things- diesel/petrol/paraffin mix seems to be the norm..

They can be found often on the german ebay site - make very very sure they are complete...

Jemma xx

Papabear86

Jul 2, 2008
why wouldn't it work?

I would have to take the mixtures to a chem lab at UT Austin to make sure the octane is not diluted and that oil (which one to use?) is properly lubricating the cylinder.

Unless some one can tell why it does not work, I am going to order a couple more engines and use them as test dummies.

Any assistance would be appreciated

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
you'll definitely need to re-jet your carb, since ethanol is only roughly 70-80% as efficient as gasoline, and therefore requires more of it. That's why you get such crappy mileage when you run e-85 in a car.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
the oil will need to mix with the e85 and I'm not sure that the oil you talked about will work. To test get a sample of the oil and get a bottle of heat as its methanol mix the oil in the sample and if it will blend your good to go. I'm using a syn oil with castor oil in it for 4 stroke racing engine that use methanol in my 2 strokes and no problems with the stuff mixes with gas or alcohol plus I love the smell of burned castor oil smells like model airplanes are flying and I like that smell. I do know that a stock alcohol engine builder named Jimmy Glenn is said to have used peanut oil in his racing engines and it worked fine.Those engines were 5 hp briggs engines putting out around 10 hp on alcohol. if you want to mess with methanol it will work in your engine but it can attack the rubber seals and the aliminum parts also the steel parts like bearing will rust as alcohol will absorb moisture. after running the fuel flush out the engine will gas/oil mix. a starting point for the main jet should be around 0.070 or bigger and you may need to retaper the slides needle. The engine will make more power if you can get it up to temp and keep it hot as alcohol will make it run very cool. but a lean run can fry a piston in a heart beat so be careful.
I played with alcohol in these engines a while back and think for normal fun its not worth it.

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hmmmm.....interesting thought....I know it works in Diesel engines (Running Straight veg oil (SVO) cut with Regular unleaded gas (RUG) to thin the veg oil to make it more "Diesel" in viscosity....depending on the ratios used the veggie oil may not be flammable enough to be ignited by the gasoline or E85 unless you are planning running a only very small amount of veggie oil in relation to the e85 (almost like running 2 stroke mix except using veggie rather than 2 stroke mix)...Interesting though...Only one way to find out I guess! ;-)
Andrew

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
unless you are planning running a only very small amount of veggie oil in relation to the e85 (almost like running 2 stroke mix except using veggie rather than 2 stroke mix).
That's what the plan sounds like.

I say go for it and see what happens. There's just going to have to be a lot of carb tweaking to even get it running I think.

Papabear86

Jul 2, 2008
Guys, thank you for the input. After reviewing this information I am going to stick with normal gasoline and try my assorted oils. Will probably start with peanut oil - possibly used, filtered oil.

Thank you very much for your thoughts!

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
You will need to use an after-run oil usually rislone mixed with atf to even be able to avoid instant rust.

Here is a link to start with.
Chock full o goodness.
RC Fuels
the cost of rc glo fuel is high
Cool Power Omega FAI Fuel 4 Gallon
Most users of bigger engines avoid a glo-plug methanol setup and use a sparkplug and gasoline
Gas Engines
These are NOT china girl engines. on rc universe.

BE CAREFUL if you try to use nitromethane fuel. LOL FAI fuel contains NO nitromethane.

Last edited:

jf30cp

Jun 23, 2008
I dont like this sound of this! I hate to see you waste a great happy time engine.

Jun 25, 2008
I am considering testing my two stroke on a mixture of veggie oil and E85.

While I am confident the mixture will eventually work and veggie oil (canoloa, soy, peanut, etc,) will offset the corosive impacts of the E85 I am curious as the settings of the gap on the spark plug.

Has anyone tried this before?

I dont drink or smoke or anything else, should I start?

Thank you guys
It works (so far) on my modified home project using methanol and peanut oil. see video http://www.tigertoothbikes.com/The BioBike