Leaking oil

GoldenMotor.com

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Feel around with your hand and see if you can pinpoint any leaks, check the gasket seal under the gear plate. Judging from the picture that looks like a likely place to look. Also, check the gasket at the intake manifold/intake connection as well as the carb/intake connections and check at the exhaust gasket too. You might have to replace one or more of the gaskets if they are leaking. Also, sometimes if you are using a particularly high oil/gas ratio it's possible that oil can shoot out the exhaust and the blow back while you are riding it too, is any on your pants or shoes?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
clean everything well, start it and spot first place oil shows up - that's where its leaking

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Looks like the seal in there is leaking. The seal is cheap but I don't know how difficult to change out. Probably not too bad. There should be a tutorial on the forum to read through. You'll probably have to recondition or replace the clutch pads but they are only about 5 bucks for a set.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
before removing seal, clean again and put some tape all along the top of that clutch cover in case carb or fuel line is dripping down onto the seam of that cover and then getting inside

Felix

Mar 26, 2012
Texas, USA.
ok thanks crassius I will try that but im sure the oil is coming from here. although I don't know how to fix it I will look at your thread suggestion and hope I can do it. took off the clutch cover plate and the pads look messed up(I think). they do smell of gas/oil, is that normal?

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
no and seals rarely leak all that much (usually just below the small gear one might see some wetness)