kick-starting

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Is there some big secret to this? I've been trying the whole tilt the bike on the kickstand and kick the pedals with the clutch out to start and it's just not working. I feel like I'm gonna break something trying to push the pedal that hard.

So c'mon, what's the secret? :)

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hi jas; the real trick is the old style rear hoop kick stand. you can start it, tune it, check chain and sprocket alignment and how true the rear wheel is. bike world has them for 15 bucks. mitch

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
stude13: yeah I would like to get one of those eventually. My problem is how hard I have to push on that darn pedal to get the motor to turn. The videos I've seen make it look so easy.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I just pick up the rear of the bike by the seat and set my pedals just right and give them a good push down and mine starts right up!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I've tried to do that, but it takes so much force I have a hard time holding the bike up and I feel like I'm going to break something, lol.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
You're probably too skinny. You need to be a chub like me. Like they always say,"Fat is as good as muscle if it's going down hill".............:D

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
haha, I seriously doubt I'm too skinny. 6'1", 250lbs....

Maybe I'll just build a "starting stand" or something. As for that tipping the bike and kicking the pedal, I guess I'll just leave that to the others :)

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Allow me to deposit my .02 pesos on kick starting with pedals.

If you have raised or have a decent compression ratio, this can be a tough nut at best.

If it's cold this can be a tough nut.

For the above two reasons I can't do it, when I first bring the bike out.

As for the hoop kick stand, sure I can run it on the stand, but no way am I starting it on the stand - just too much force for ball comfort. I bought my hoop stand from Spooky Tooth - is it the same hoop stand???

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I like the hoop stands like that, but worry that they're not strong enough to get on the bike, pedal and start the motor.

Though it would be nice to get on, start the motor, rev it up a bit and kick off enough to get your tire in contact with the ground and then kick the stand all the way up while you're riding off. Like something out of a movie :)

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
If it is difficult to peddle start a bike you might try changing the front peddle sprocket for a smaller one or the rear sprocket for a larger one , or both . My bike is a two speed . It is very difficult to peddle to start in second gear but easy in first . A single speed usually has a general purpose sprocket ratio and is harder to start from a stop than a multi speed .

Building a strong stationary stand to start a bike with , at home , is always an option . ..... D.J.

My stand is too delicate to be used for stationary starts .