Kentucky Moped Laws

GoldenMotor.com

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
So as far as i can tell i need a moped license.

If I have a regular drivers license do I still need a moped license, endorsement?

So it looks like registration is now required for mopeds.

Do I also need insurance?

What about state parks? I'm guessing as long as I drive on roads not trails I'm ok.

Does anyone know where I can obtain good answers to these questions? When I search laws I find what seem to be differing results.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
i ran into a corp of engineers ranger the other day at fishtrap lake in pike county, he said motorized bikes are definitely not allowed in any ky state park. atv's, mopeds, and dirtdikes are also banned...

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
That is so lame, registration, Insurance, no riding in state parks. They can't stop you from riding on roadways through the parks tho right? I mean you can drive your car there or motorcycle.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Is anyone legal in Kentucky yet? I'm seriously thinking about it. I don't want to have to pay any fines. I'm thinking if some neighbors complain to the police I might get a visit. I'm 66/80cc 2 stroke so I'm guessing that means motorcycle. Ugh I really don't want to do this. If someone has some experience it might be cool. I saw another motorized bike in Morehead Ky. That is near here it would be cool if they were on this forum. Who knows. Anyhoo I'm having fun now. I love this thing and can't wait to build another.

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
Last labor day I spent a whole weekend riding around Reelfoot Lake in TN with 3 bikes. Then we crossed the ferry at Hickman KY and did a 10 mile loop. No one even gave us a second look but there isn't a lot of people or traffic in that area of the state either. All our bike have a headlight, taillight and a bell. Everyone rides with a bike helmet. Ridden in Illinois, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Missouri and Kentucky and knock on wood we have never been stopped.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
thanks for that comment, I think calling the police might invite trouble not needed. I wear a helmet, have headlights and tail lights, no bell but I'm thinking about a kit with turn signals and horn, I'm careful and obey traffic laws, stick to back roads when possible and avoid high traffic areas. I live in a small town that is pretty quite after about 6:00 PM. I may never have a problem. But I would hate a five hundred dollar ticket like I have read about some people getting. Plus I have a 66/80cc motor with clutch so idk...its a motor cycle? So insurance, registration, vehicle inspection (snickers) and the works....IT'S JUST A BIKE WITH A MOTOR...give me a break.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
sooner or later, a cop will see you either way.
it would be better to find out the truth without getting your bike impounded.
the costs to get it back could easily be more than the bike is worth, possibly MANY times more.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Kentucky Riders questions:

1. Where do you ride?

2. Are you legal or do you plan on going legal?

I'm having a dilemma now. I'd just like to find a place nearby that I can ride without worrying about starting trouble with the local police or spending years mailing, emailing, calling and hauling parts around trying to obtain a vin number, registration and insurance.
Riding legal seems like the only option for a sensible human, but I'm just not ready to hear someone say "well there is no way you can legally ride that vehicle here sir..." If I thought it would work out I would start this week. I am in turmoil.
There is the white sulfur ATV park but even there it seems the bike with a motor does not qualify as an ATV. Grr... Group rides might be safe (safety in numbers) but there are like none in this area.

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
This what I found re-guarding Kentucky moped laws. From what I can see the only hiccup you have is the 66cc motor. Either call the motor you have a 49cc or buy a 49cc motor. Make sure you wear your bicycle Helmet. For good measure add a bell and front and rear lights. I prefer to wear hi visible vest too.

Do like many of us do. Print off the rules I posted below and carry them with you along with a link. Ride sensibly. If you do get stopped and have the rules to show the officer he either correct you and send your home or send you on your merry way. I know the verb-age starts out with electric bikes but if you read on it is obvious that covers gas bikes also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr..._laws#Kentucky

Kentucky
Electric bicycle fits under the definition of "moped" under Kentucky law. You don't need tag or insurance, but you need a driver's license. "Moped" means either a motorized bicycle whose frame design may include one (1) or more horizontal crossbars supporting a fuel tank so long as it also has pedals, or a motorized bicycle with a step-through type frame which may or may not have pedals rated no more than two (2) brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission not requiring clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged, and capable of a maximum speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour[77][78] Helmets are required.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
I ride a 2 cycle 66/80cc so...motorcycle... I really should have done my homework. Now I have only a few choices:

1. First explore the possibility of getting a vin number for a bike built from parts. I say explore because there may be a "no you can never do this waiting around the corner" and this is highly likely. Start by talking to the county clerk and see where it goes from there it might be a long arduous affair there may be other states and other people involved favors may be needed who knows. Next buy a new bike and a new motor with kit (keeping all the receipts this time) as these will be needed. Keep in mind that buying the motor, bike and kit should be last because this is no guarantee‎. Cost high, time lengthy, chances of getting what I want out of the deal unknown. I would do this if I knew it would work but failure might ruin my chances of trying one of the other methods.

2. Ride only on back roads where police type people seldom go. This works well in a lot of places around here but not in the town that I live. To use this method I would need to transport the bike out of town and just start riding. I'm not opposed to trying this method. I wonder if I could pedal out of town and not count as a motorized bike?

3. Call the local police directly. Who knows, they may say, "oh a moped yeah wear a helmet and follow traffic laws". But they would have to ignore the actual laws with which my bike is clearly classified as a motorcycle.

4. Try riding off road only. This would require a new or at least different bike since my current build is an old ten speed with skinny tires (this bike is great for the road). The problem is that most off road places around here are for four wheelers and three wheelers. I'm not sure why motorcycles are not allowed in a lot of places. This is not a great idea since the cost is high like $20 per day just to get in.

5. Try my luck riding at campgrounds, on roads only. People ride golf carts everywhere why can't I ride a bike with a motor? Well I've already been told that this is a no go in kentucky, but who knows locally it might be well tolerated and park rangers can be cool if they want to. I'm a respectful person and I do my best to never ruin anyone's good time.

What other ideas does anyone have?

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Ok I think I might have a solution. To drive a moped...

Yes we need a drivers license

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=6045

No we don't need insurance or registration

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=6148

What is a moped

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=28747

(6)
"Moped" means either a motorized bicycle whose frame design may include one (1) or more horizontal crossbars supporting a fuel tank so long as it also has pedals, or a motorized bicycle with a step through type frame which may or may not have pedals rated no more than two (2) brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission not requiring clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged, and capable of a maximum speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour

So I'm thinking "once the drive system is engaged" allows the standard 2 stroke kit to be utilized. The "no more than two brake horsepower could cover the engine", but I'm busted on the 66/80cc.

My question is, does this look like a valid site?

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/lrc/aboutlrc.htm

...and could I just slap on one of those 48cc cover plates :D

http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit-parts/accessories/48cc-magneto-case-cover.html

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
No one can tell when standing on the side of the road if the motor is a 66cc or a 49cc.

If you ride past a cop running 40 mph................expect to get pulled over. Keep it under 20mph and everyone is happy. Words to live by.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
OK so I just can't handle the suspense. I keep looking at different web pages and finding different information. I've asked a few moped shops, no replies. Now I have asked the County Clerk via email, first day and no reply. I'll update the group with the news when or if I receive any.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
No reply from the county clerk. I guess I have to call. I thought email would be better so I could print out the reply if it was in my favor and carry it with me for reference.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Ok so I've emailed the chief of police now...still no response from the county clerk. I actually emailed from the website first and then I emailed him directly. Both times very politely.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
A response from the chief of police!

"Have to be 16 years old or more and have a valid drivers license, also must have insurance."

I'm not sure I agree with the insurance part but this is good. I can cover these requirements.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Called the county clerk today and he said there is no title or registration required for under 50CC and said I would have to ask the circuit clerk for licensing requirements, I have a valid license but just to have all the facts I called.

Called the circuit clerk and ... the guy that knows went to lunch so I'll call back.