Just wiped out.

GoldenMotor.com
Feb 2, 2017
California
It was a nice afternoon today, sun is out...... birds chirping away their love songs in order to entice mates, the cool breeze all around whispering to me in my ears to get out there and live life, so I figure, why not go for a ride on this joyous day! Put on my favorite shirt in case I might happen to come upon some nice looking ladies, put on the shades, helmet on, and off I went. Well, while riding on the sidewalk going into the bicycle lane on the street there happened to be a puddle of water....... didn't think much of it and thought I could traverse it with ease. WRONG! I forgot to factor in my bald rear tires that are now shredded to metal wires and surely enough I low-sided the bike. Got up, make sure to see if anyone saw me embarrassed myself and did a once over check on my physical wellness to see if all was still intact. Thankfully I didn't manage to hurt myself too bad, a scraped forearm with a few trickles of blood and a bruised knee (along with ego), thankfully that was it. No holes in my jean so I was happy enough to keep on riding...... still looking good for the ladies. :)

Anyway, I got to thinking how 1 slight miscue on your part and it could be a day you wished you'd stay home and watched the movie Titanic while eating a bowl of mint n' chip ice cream instead. I'm not sure if any of you guys follow motorcycle racing but I just read on the news that Nicky Hayden, a former American MotoGP racer (2006 champion), have just gotten into a horrible bicycle accident in Italy and is listed in critical condition. Be safe out there guys, you just never know what's around the bend!

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Glad you didn't get hurt too badly. I took a mild tumble last week. I just turned a little too tight but managed to fall on the grass between curb and sidewalk. I was maybe going at walking speed so no damage or anything. I could see I was going down before it happened and was already laughing. Still, it was purely pilot error. Lucky to have a soft reminder to ride safe. Even with 40 plus years experience riding motorcycles on the street you can never be too careful.

Landing on pavement at any speed is painful.

Agreed that one should always wear a proper motorcycle helmet.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Glad you were not hurt. I am very aware how quickly something bad can happen. just a split second... Thanks for the nicely written reminder. As Chaz says " one should always wear a proper motorcycle helmet" Ride Safe.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Man! Cool read, well written and glad everyone is OK!

I know I sound like a broken record but a MC helmet is a must. A bike helmet will save you but a MC helmet lets cars know your going faster than a bicycle. Cars are way, way less apt to "right Hook" ya. That's a NYC bicycle messenger's wording for when a car passes you on the left only to turn right, right in front of you. Causing you to t-bone them. (making it technically your fault)

And just plane pulling out in front of you. With a bike helmet, they assume your doing about 10 MPH. With a MC helmet, they seem to triple that and normally about right.

I personally like the styrofoam filled ones. Gives ya "bounce" LoL.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LoL Kman.

Actually found the opposite to be true some times. But is a unique kind of woman fer sure.

Still lol'ed at your phrasing! And ya gotta point.

2Slow4U

Aug 16, 2016
St.Louis
Dang that stinks.

I just bought a full faced helmet, was only like $60. I probably look weird with it on a tiny bike but it's better than having my beard hairs ripped off on the street.

I think it adds .5 hp along with the stickers.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Drivers are so much smarter when ya wear a fullface on bike than even when driving a car.

I low side mine frequently cause I don't have front suspension. **** about 2 months ago I grabbed too much front brake and slipped on an oil spot in the middle of the lane. I was pissed. Hit the ground on the freeway at about 60mph when my 2.4" tire got caught in a quarter mile long groove. Ever tried to stand up at 40mph? I don't ride it on the freeway no more....