just for fun/curiousity my first 48cc bike

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I put my first motorized bike together in the winter of 2009 it was a 40mm stroke 80/69cc engine kit I got off ebay from BGF, since then counting the new 48cc I just mounted up on a bike today, I've had 18 other engines that are either the 66cc or 69cc displacement.

I have heard from other memebers about the little 48cc engines several times over the years I've been in and out of the hobby, especially my good friend Greg58 which I believe is the 48cc guru/man to go to on basically anything on the 48cc CG topic.

Anyway, rode about 10 miles on the new 48cc today, needs carb tuned better, jetting is to fat and Im gonna do some other mods to engine once it broken in good and I find a good cylinder head with a smaller combustion chamber and squish band area.

the bike has a 41T on the 26" wheel but its gonna end up with a 41T on a 24" wheel and this bike itself is gonna get some needed changes to make it a better more comfortable cruiser.

Right now Greenie os topping at 26mph on the flat even though carb os a big fat and the 41T on the 26" wheel may not ne letting the engine rev like it needs to to be in its most powerful rpm range.

The gearing change may help and add a couple mph or at least give it a bit better hill climbing ability even if mph doesnt go up.

The exhaust has end cap removed, but it still had a plate up in it with some holes in it so it not a wide open muffler, it is kinda loud, but the engine is breathing good with it for now.

Anyway, Greg58 told me I would like the lower vibes right out of the box from the 48cc engine and he was spot on, the power level isn't the same as the bigger engines when they're tuned to run good, but the 48cc is noticeably smoother running for sure, vibrs aren't bad at all, i could ride it for 20 miles WOT and not get numb hands or the numb buzzy buttocks we all hate on a long ride...LOL

So, I just wanted to share this new experience with the little 48cc engine I had today, and what I plan to do to hopefully improve on what is already a nice little 25mph low vibe cruiser.

Hoping to make it a nice 25mph cruiser that will top at about 30mph give or take a couple mph.

I want this to be a bike I or my wife can get on and enjoyably go as many miles as the fiel will allow and enjoy every moment of that ride start to finish.

Here is a pic of the rough version of what I plan this bike to be when Im done, honestly, it'll still be rough probably, but different and more comfortable for me to ride ..LOL

Cheers..
Map
20220123_171006_HDR_(1).jpg

Reactions: Greg58

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I'm no guru, I just like the challenge of taking less and getting more out of it. I have three different engine sized bikes but enjoy the ride on the 48cc the best. I have a 66cc apart right now trying to balance the crankshaft, Map and I have been talking about the bad vibration of some engines, if my balancing is a success I will be riding that bike more.
1643028932336.png

Reactions: mapbike

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'm no guru, I just like the challenge of taking less and getting more out of it. I have three different engine sized bikes but enjoy the ride on the 48cc the best. I have a 66cc apart right now trying to balance the crankshaft, Map and I have been talking about the bad vibration of some engines, if my balancing is a success I will be riding that bike more.
View attachment 109494
Yes sir, well I have found that you and I have many things in common in our thinking as we have spoken over these years and one of those things is taking lesser things and getting as much from them as possible, what I call the common man way of doing things.

The guru tag, was because you seem to be one of the if not the biggest promoter of the little 48cc CG on here and you have done your time and figured out how to get just what you wanted to get from those little engines when most people overlook them as completely insufficient.

I know you're a modest kinda fella and I respect that, but you always offer a lot of knowledge and good ideas to consider on here along with others here on forum of course, but you ring in on any 48cc stuff quick, and thats because thats just one of your things.

Yes sir... we're gonna get some of these engines that dang near buzz the fingernails off smoothed out and more enjoyable to ride.

Anticipating your result from the 66 crank work. I bet its gonna make that engine a pleasure to use.