Just finished my first build.

GoldenMotor.com

Heyimdave

Jun 14, 2019
Hey there everyone! My name is Dave. I just finished building my first motor bike. Man is it fun to ride! Anything I should watch out for? 26" Huffy Cranbrook beach cruiser with 66/80 80cc motor 44t sprocket. I know I'm gonna have to upgrade the brake. (It's a coaster brake.)
20190613_190330.jpg

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome Dave, I too have a cranbrook. You are right the brakes are a weak point, I added bmx style front brakes to mine, it made a big different. 96mm reach will work, mounts with the fender. Speaking of fenders keep a close eye on yours, they crack due to vibration, I removed mine to start .

Heyimdave

Jun 14, 2019
Thanks Greg58! First build and all so im kinda winging it as i go. Do you have problems with your bearings loosening up on the rear axle? If so, how did you get past that? Going to steal some brakes off of a mountain bike. New cables and pads of course. Also upgrading my pedals to heavy duty metal ones. I like the fender. Do you think maybe some rubber washers where it connects to the frame might kill some of the vibration? Thanks again. It's great to hear from a fellow Cranbrook rider! Until you see this I wish you happy riding!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dave I replaced the rear brake Assembly with a shimano, that and the front brake works well. The stock axle/bearings are not very good. With the fender having only one mounting point at the top it will crack, its just a matter of time.

Reactions: allen standley

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Welcome to the forum Dave! I too a Cranbrook fan.
As Greg says the best coaster brakes are the Shimano brand. As far as the others K.T. Falcon and a couple others they are Knock-offs (cheaper copies) of the Shimano. Not as well made. I have found, for me the easiest way to adjust that loose axle is to leave the wheel on the bike tight on the brake arm side then back off the axle nut from the sprocket side. You need a special thin- real thin 14mm open end wrench. Like this
https://www.amazon.com/Mantain-Bicy...gateway&sprefix=bicycle+tools,aps,148&sr=8-38
on the inside of the frame loosen the jam nut from the bearing cone with the skinny wrench tighten the bearing cone just enough so it's not tight, but snug enough to eliminate the wheel wiggle. Then hold the cone right there while tightening the jam nut against it. Now tighten the wheel axle nut back up and you should be good ---for awhile. Pay attention to all nuts and bolts. They are lots of fun but potentially dangerous again Pay attention to all nuts and bolts. If you plan on keeping that front fender please follow Gregs' advise and re-enforce that fender tab. As is It WILL break and you Will end up in a dangerous situation. Get a corner bracket @ the hardware store less than a buck it will prevent the fender from turning into a ski. Front brakes are a must! Be Safe and Good Luck!