Just Curious

GoldenMotor.com

TyDow

Sep 10, 2008
Wisconsin
I'm just wondering, how long did your first build REALLY take? I know most of the instructions say 2-3 hours, but it seems like it takes way more time than that. I'd love to hear from folks with little or no mechanical experience. .spr.

Thanks in advance!
Ty

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'm on build number 7 and they ALL have taken me about 12 hours, some waaay more. I have been working on mechnical this since I was 7 and I'm 47.

You can slap one together in a few hours, but then spend hours more making it right and reliable.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
My first build I finagled my sprocket to a 32 spoke rim. That took a while.
Most of the work is getting that sprocket going true and I learned that a 36 spoke wheel does much better. I actually got this tip from Revo Boy and it makes sense in that just put in a movie in your living room and have that wheel on your lap with that sprocket and just take your sweet time getting it on straight. Everything else to me was gravy work.
All in all I would say about 12 hours and I actually did rush it using a sledge hammer to get that front tube less fat man that was fun.
It seems like so long ago.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Don't really remember just how long it took, Better part of the day. It was a small MTB so went on easily. Not sure if I was more worried it would start or that it wouldn't. But man! First time it fired up! Great high.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I'm just wondering, how long did your first build REALLY take? I know most of the instructions say 2-3 hours, but it seems like it takes way more time than that. I'd love to hear from folks with little or no mechanical experience. .spr.

Thanks in advance!
Ty
I agree. But I just don't rush it (nor do I have a that big of a block of time). I take it like building a model or art or learning a song something. Just some bits at a time and if I'm at it too long and get frustrated or anxious, I put down the chalupa and step away. This is supposed to be fun and relaxing!:-||

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
I agree. But I just don't rush it (nor do I have a that big of a block of time). I take it like building a model or art or learning a song something. Just some bits at a time and if I'm at it too long and get frustrated or anxious, I put down the chalupa and step away. This is supposed to be fun and relaxing!:-||
Exactly what he said!!!! Technically I'm still on my first build and I started in June 08-but it's exactly what I want. I have more fun building than I do riding. Walter F.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Mine took 3 days to build and a day to get it to start. The bad spark plug had me going as it had spark, but no start.
The embarrassing part is I'm a retired auto mechanic and a part time motorcycle mechanic.scratg
I always complicate things.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

Thanks in advance!
Ty
Ty,

I know you asked for comments from those with little or no mechanical experience..."that's not me",
but I will say that there is not a chance that these can be assembled in 2-3 hours...

Unless:

1) you were always using the same bike as a base. After several builds you could develope a rythm.

2) You had an aftermarket kit specific to that bike, so that nothing would have to be fiddled with, It's the adjusting that is so time consuming.

3) You have a large work bench, and air tools.

4) nothing goes wrong! :D

Given the above you could assemble a bike in a leisurely 2-3 hours. As far as the factory claim goes, it's just advertising. It's not a total lie, because it could be done...it's just a lie for 99.9% of the sales.

Jim

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I Have been perfecting mine for months, but learned so much. I agree with Jim if you finally got a product you know is strong and repeat the process; it could be done much faster. Just some of the things I would do to all builds myself if I were to have to stand behind my work.
12 gage spokes
Loose bearings replacing the race.
Steel frame
Suspension
Plug wire and plug replacement
Ported
Puncture proof tubes
Fuel line replaced
Better chain tentioner
Husky or Workman bike. Old bikes can't be repeated and you might make a deal with a manufacture if you’re buying in bulk.

but then the cost would be high that is lure of these bikes, is the cost.

another way to approch this is to be just a repair shop and not a manufacture, Then you have a standard labor rate and build bikes to fill in the dead time.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Let's see....carry the 1....multiply by Pi....divide by the circumference of the earth.....square root.....plot in 3 dimensions....add 4....well, looks like somewhere between 180-220 hours....no I am not kidding.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I agree with everyone above. I have been a machinist for almost 40 years, and have a really nice shop to work in. My first one took me the better part of a day. Then after a test ride I made several changes and upgrades. When they say 2-3 hours it would be the worst cobbled mess ever. It would scare me to ride it!

John

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have been working on the MoonDog since August...I have done two others in the mean time. I THOUGHT it would be done on Sunday, but as they say "Life has a way of getting in the way while you're making other plans..."

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
My first one took me a good 4 hours or so, but I didn't have to put the sprocket on the wheel....this was basically just transferring stuff from a used bike I bought to a different frame.

This time...took a long time. I'm usually pretty slow at things the first couple times because I want to get them right. But this wasn't a straight install this time. Lots of new bike pieces, tweaks, etc, plus a shift kit and other stuff. So far total on my bike I probably have a good 40 hours or so. (including paint, etc). Took maybe 10 hours to install the shift kit/motor/chains/etc.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
i had mine up and running in two hours. everything looked simple, but now i have an unlocatable air leak.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
i had mine up and running in two hours. everything looked simple, but now i have an unlocatable air leak.
I might have to call BS on the two hours. What type of mount did you use for your sprocket. I set mine up with an indicator, and that alone probably took an hour or two. Got it within about .006 though.

John

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
No calling BS!!!:)

I got the sprocket on the moondog in about 15 minutes. Cordless drill with clutch set low at first and an open end wrench.
It went on straight the first time.

Then I spend a few hours fabricating the front mount. If it had not been for that, and I didn't do anything else but mount it up, I could have done it in two hours.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
No calling BS!!!:)

I got the sprocket on the moondog in about 15 minutes. Cordless drill with clutch set low at first and an open end wrench.
It went on straight the first time.

Then I spend a few hours fabricating the front mount. If it had not been for that, and I didn't do anything else but mount it up, I could have done it in two hours.
Joe, I didn't mean that it couldn't be done, I am just wondering how true people are getting their sprockets running if they are doing the whole job in two hours. Wondering what procedure they are using to check them?

John