junk yard full suspension build

GoldenMotor.com

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
this is my junk yard doll build. It's all parts i've scrounged up already had laying around of stuff that's been given to me. The project started when i saw this old frame under the neighbors porch and thought it just might be possible, after asking about it the neighbor gave me the frame and it all started there. unfortunately i lost the first pic of the frame but originally it had a bracket similar to the top tube shock bracket midway down the seat tube and the first thing i did was cut that off and start figuring it out along the way parts and pieces have changed as o found better stuff or had different ideas ... kelly

Attachments

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
Your Junkyard Doll looks like it's just about ready to be pink! :)

What kinda gas tank is that?

Reactions: indian22

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
Your Junkyard Doll looks like it's just about ready to be pink! :)

What kinda gas tank is that?
the tank is a stock tank i did a glass shell over it to reshape, it got hurt a bit in the wreck of the first version pink chopper. It needs a bit of work but the shape is working really well on this build... kelly

Reactions: indian22 and FOG

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Nice! Big fan of full suspension. Good looking build that should be a smooth ride.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Kelly from a pile of **** to a piece of work; I really like! Another really nice build you've got going for yourself. I really enjoy my full suspension e-bike and know you'll feel the difference on each ride.

Rick C.

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
thank you all, there is a ways to go yet on it but the basics are all worked out and functional. I have to get a bit of welding done on the exhaust and an intake but ive beenable to pedal test it and all the chains do what they should im happy with the way it is coming together :) .... kelly

Reactions: indian22 and FOG

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
just an update progress has been a liltte slow with medical recovery but i've finished the basic builds and on to the motors. I've got 2 of the latest firestorm edition zeda triple forties, unlike all the triple forties ive bought before these came assembled so i've just now popped the tops on them and i thought it worthy to take a couple pics and post concerning the port timing on these units. It's incredible out of the box port timing on these things compared to my previous experience with a half dozen of these chinese 2strokes. Not the best pics and lighting but you can see that BDC and TDC both have clear ports.... kelly

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm liking the looks of that Kelly & I'm with you not typical of most kit engines that feature the "slugs" as plugs to port flow.

Do these cylinders have steel liner?

Take it slow and get better.

Rick C.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
I'm liking the looks of that Kelly & I'm with you not typical of most kit engines that feature the "slugs" as plugs to port flow.

Do these cylinders have steel liner?

Take it slow and get better.

Rick C.
there's no liner but the chrome is nice no spalling or chipping or cracks and uniform, the ports are really quite clean too if you just clean them up it will be minimal effort. I was just a little astounded when i pushed the piston to the bottom and peered into the port. I ordered them from bicycle-engines while they had a free shipping sale for 140.00 a kit they arrived quickly and well packed. The rest of the kit has some of the better stuff too the short angled 4 bolt tensioner the long lever lock clutch handle the newer nice wave style grips HD chain. The rest is the standard fare...kelly

Reactions: FOG and indian22

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
Great comfort bike. Do you run the rear suspension with minimal travel?
It's not going to have as much travel as i would like Jerry but thats mostly due to the constraints of squeezing a motor in there at all. The real limiting factor is an intake manifold, of course nothing stock will possibly work. I've just recently finished cutting al the pipe and angles for the manifold and the same is true for the exhaust all the pieces just need to be welded up. I've left a tad of fudge room on the sections and will wait until the motor is mounted for the final assembly then recheck all the fit then weld them...kelly

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
It's not going to have as much travel as i would like Jerry but thats mostly due to the constraints of squeezing a motor in there at all. The real limiting factor is an intake manifold, of course nothing stock will possibly work. I've just recently finished cutting al the pipe and angles for the manifold and the same is true for the exhaust all the pieces just need to be welded up. I've left a tad of fudge room on the sections and will wait until the motor is mounted for the final assembly then recheck all the fit then weld them...kelly
Unless you're riding on some really rough roads, minimal travel should be enough to make the ride comfortable. I personally like using Kendra 838 tires. On my suspension seat post I set it for minimal travel and I have lower back problems. Without the suspension seat post I wouldn't be able to ride.

Attachments

Last edited:

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
Unless you're riding on some really rough roads, minimal travel should be enough to make the ride comfortable. I personally like using Kendra 838 tires. On my suspension seat post I set it for minimal travel and I have lower back problems. Without the suspension seat post I wouldn't be able to ride.
i use a suspension post on my chopper and it helps to a certain degree but im really to light for even the minimum preload on it but its not a real high dollar kind of unit either ;) in this pic the seat is set as low as it will go and i usually raise it some when riding

Attachments

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
this is my junk yard doll build. It's all parts i've scrounged up already had laying around of stuff that's been given to me. The project started when i saw this old frame under the neighbors porch and thought it just might be possible, after asking about it the neighbor gave me the frame and it all started there. unfortunately i lost the first pic of the frame but originally it had a bracket similar to the top tube shock bracket midway down the seat tube and the first thing i did was cut that off and start figuring it out along the way parts and pieces have changed as o found better stuff or had different ideas ... kelly
Another man's trash literally became a treasure.

domN8er

Aug 16, 2016
california
be careful with suspension the chain tension will change as you ride i would suggest not doing this or using 2 chain tensioners on the engines chain

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
the bike is setup with a jack shaft shift kit so it transfers power to the bicycle side gears. ive used a heavy duty spring on a high end derailer given that and it has a fairly limited travel it hasnt been a problem. i put lots of thought and planning into the build and spring tension was one my priority concerns, and is the basically the whole reason i ran a jack shaft setup as it was the easiest way. but all along was the thought in mind that they do this everyday on dirt bikes with huge amounts of travel it's doable. but again a large part of the whole bike was the challenge to do something you just dont see everyday. im in no keen hurry to do it again using a center suspension but if you have the equipment to fab there are some other really good ways to do it im planning a chopper as a future build and have decided on how to do it as a cut and whack job grafting in a pivot from a full suspension mountain bike.. here is an early mock up of the bike although i havent started any fab yet but these are the bones for it.

Attachments