Jagwire brake pads

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I just went thru researching pads and must have looked at a million different ones. It can be very confusing as to the different compounds and even combinations of them. I saw the Jags and almost bought them. I have had good results with a set of Koolstops so bought the cartridge style long pad mainly because an old used bike I have had them and they stopped great. Am also running a set of Shimano roadie pads these are short but work well also. The compound is for alloy rims. There are carbon compounds also. I also bought another set of Koolstops that just came out made for Ebikes. Supposed to be compounded especially for the heavier faster Ebikes. Havent tried them yet.

I also have a set of clear BMX pads they really stop but are LOUD.

I could find no info on pad compounds. And I searched quite a bit. Knowing the different compounds would be very helpful.

If you get the Jags let us know how they work.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Thanks for the reply CB. Yes there is a staggering amount of choices out there. I can get some kool stops dual (salmon and black) locally for 16cdn per set. The same shop also has Jagwire shoes for 5 bucks so I was curious since I'd never heard of them before.

I have never bought any name brand shoes before. I was using "no names" and they were ok but not great and wore out real fast when the fall and winter rains came.

I will get the kool stops because the Jagwires have to be ordered in. Maybe I'll order some in when I pick up the kool stops just to try them out.

I'll post any results either way.

cheers

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
never used the jagwires but... when i was playing in the local super hilly state park paved trails the no name pads just wouldn't cut it on my peddle bike. the super steep downhill sections would just melt them and they just didn't grab well. the koolstops worked amazing for me once broken in. noisy as heck if not toed in properly though. never had a disc brake but i do have a frt drum sturmy archer on a gasbike and i love it !!!

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Thanks for the info K. Kool stop seems the way to go. Not terribly expensive if the last and apparently they hold up pretty well. Still, I'd like to know if I can get the same performance for cheaper.