Is it still a bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
how bikable is a motorized bike? if the clutch were disengaged on one of the 70cc 2-stroke set-ups could a body still pedal without turning the engine?

i'm wondering if i should motorize my decent old MB or build a dedicated motored bike. my old bike has a diamond frame which i've read is good for conversion, but i don't want totally get out of pedaling.

the newb thanks you in advance.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Yes you can still use it as a pedal bike but it is a little more dificult. You are turning alot more parts and have added weight to the bicycle. I have a single speed which I think makes it alot harder, with a multi-speed it should be much easier.
I still like to shut the motor off and pedal sometimes but only on flat land or going down hill. But like I said I have a single speed and never have gone up a hill with motor off. Somebody who rides alot and is in good shape should have no problem just using the pedal's. :ride2:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Yes, you can still pedal the bike, but it will have a little drag & be about 20 lbs heavier.
I would personally not put a engine on a bike that I planned on only pedalling for long distances. (build a dedicated bike for your motorbike.)

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
thanks for the timely feedback, guys!

I would personally not put a engine on a bike that I planned on only pedalling for long distances.
well, that ain't me - i'm certainly not a long distance cyclist, so maybe i'll start with what i already own. my old bike has a sturdy double-butted steel frame with what looks to be plenty of room for an engine. it's pretty angular, though; i do wish it was more curvelicious like some of the bikes i've seen here :)

when my Economic Stimulus Check hits i think i'll go ahead and order a kit. meanwhile i'll cast about for possible options in a different (cheap-o) bike.

cruiser66

Mar 4, 2008
Westport, MA
how bikable is a motorized bike? if the clutch were disengaged on one of the 70cc 2-stroke set-ups could a body still pedal without turning the engine?

i'm wondering if i should motorize my decent old MB or build a dedicated motored bike. my old bike has a diamond frame which i've read is good for conversion, but i don't want totally get out of pedaling.

the newb thanks you in advance.
Welcome,

I built my motorbike around a 15 year old MB. It sounds like yours might be similiar to mine. I used a 4 stroke frame mount kit which bolted on with no problems or modifications. I had to use the wide crankset with a single chainring (came with the kit) so I have the seven lowest speeds for pedaling. With a 2 stroke kit, you can use the original crankset so you will still pedal with all the original speeds. Using a rack mount kit will also allow you to keep all the original speeds. The older MB is nice to start with because of compatibility with kits, good brakes, and multi speeds for pedaling. I would get my feet wet with the MB first and then maybe switch the kit over to a bike more to your lliking. Maybe even have two motorbikes. One 2 stroke and one 4 stroke.(^)

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
That is the best use for the Gov check I have heard of. You can say it is an economic boost for the economy and savings at the gas pump, and it is fun too. You will like the diamond frame, and they still look good. If you have enough room you can use a hanging tank. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Welcome,

I built my motorbike around a 15 year old MB. It sounds like yours might be similiar to mine.
very similar, apparently - it's a fifteen year-old MB. i'm leaning 2-stroke right now, but who knows - i just discovered these possibilities a coupla days ago :)

You will like the diamond frame, and they still look good. If you have enough room you can use a hanging tank. Have fun, Dave
thanks for the photo! that does look sharp with the hanging tank. i've thought that the little teardrop tank that the kits seem to include might look odd sitting on a long, straight upper frame. is that tank a custom job, or could something like it be easily found?

cruiser66

Mar 4, 2008
Westport, MA
Yes it is a pull start. Has about the same resistance as a chain saw or weed wacker. As far as I know, all 4 strokes are pull start because of their centrifigul clutches. People generally start the 2 strokes by pedalling until the engine starts. You can get a pull start for 2 strokes, but then you will need a wider crankset to clear the starter. I use a center stand when starting mine so I can rev the engine to make sure it's warmed up OK before riding away. 2 strokes have a clutch handle which will disengage the engine once you start it. The GruBee gearboxes have a disengage lever which will disconnect the power to the final output sprocket. I have the old JL Hoot gearbox which has no disengager. I have had good luck with it so far..... A lot of different bits of info here, but as you are a newbie I'm sure you will be asking a lot more questions. Have fun!!!